Sponsored

Would Ford Everest cut into Bronco sales?

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Expedition, 2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

This looks like a Dodge grand cherokee. I'd hit it, but not over the Bronc. Maybe over the explorer. If I had the cash maybe a 3 way.
Sponsored

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you haven't heard of the Everest-think of a Ranger with a body instead of a box.

The 2023 Ford Everest Is the *Other* Ranger-Based SUV (motortrend.com)

Apparently Ford thinks it would cut into Bronco sales. I'm not so sure. I think it would be a competitor for the 4Runner, Cherokee/Grand Cherokee, because what do we hear from some of the crew here? "The Bronco is nice but wind noise no fixed roof leaks snow gets in" so here's your overlander to kill the $Runner. Hard top BOF so it should be able to tow as much as a Ranger.
It's what the Explorer used to be when it came out, before it became a tall station wagon.
You people interested? I could see this working for familes looking for something a bit less wooly than a Bronco but would still get them out into the woods or the wilds.
This looks more like the new Blaze, not an off road truck. Must be more to it then the eye can see.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think if they brought it over as a Lincoln model to really compare to the land rover (Lexus model now) and range rover it might take some sales but be different enough as that lux model to be worth it.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Anyone who thinks the Everest wouldn't at least slightly cut in to Bronco sales hasn't been paying attention.

You don't have to look very hard to find people on this forum saying they would pay more for a "Bronco" with a solid roof.

In other words they just wanted to hop the trend train. Slap a Bronco logo across the front of an Everest like it's a bigger Sport and it would sell like candy.

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The mindset of "cutting into our own sales" is stupid as fuck. You still make the sale, Ford.

Give the customers choices and then get the market data to drive new development instead of the other way around. Look at the take rate for the 7 speed on the 2.3 and have your marketing wanks tell you "no one wants a manual" again. Make it available on the 2.7 and see what happens.

Sponsored

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
1997 Explorer ground clearance: 6.7"

Motor Trend's Explorer review from 1997:

2023 Explorer Timberline ground clearance: 8.6"

Which "old Explorer" are you pining for?
The old explorer was body on frame, so it could be lifted with rims and wheels. The new explorer isn't much of an off roader, even though I've seen one where I never would've taken my pre-bronco. Off road vehicles had to be built in those days, not ordered off the lot (Sasquatch). It was the demise of the off road capable suv that gave jeep legs, and Fords 25 year hiatus that got us in the mess we're in now. Early Expeditions and Explorers could be more easily set up for basic off-roading with F150 and Ranger lifts. Everest is nothing new, just an idea that never really died. I was apoplectic when Explorer went unibody. Ended up owning one, but certainly not at first.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The old explorer was body on frame, so it could be lifted with rims and wheels. The new explorer isn't much of an off roader, even though I've seen one where I never would've taken my pre-bronco.
The old Explorer had either a TTB or IFS front end, so neither of those was particularly great for lifting. I guess you could do a body lift but..yikes. Stock the Explorers could barely fit 31s, new ones come with 32s from the factory.

I'm not saying that the new Explorer is some kind of offroad monster, it's just ridiculous when people say "Old one good, strong, tough; new one bad, soft weak."

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The mindset of "cutting into our own sales" is stupid as fuck. You still make the sale, Ford.

Give the customers choices and then get the market data to drive new development instead of the other way around. Look at the take rate for the 7 speed on the 2.3 and have your marketing wanks tell you "no one wants a manual" again. Make it available on the 2.7 and see what happens.
The issue with the 2.7 manual is that since it is not available on any other platforms Ford would have to design, test and certify the new combo. The current manual take rate is less than 15% so that's a big investment and long process to go through to sell maybe 10k-15k Broncos a year and not gain any sales.

As you said, Ford is still making that sale, the buyer wanting a 2.7 manual Bronco is still buying, they are just sacrificing one of their wants. Don't get me wrong, if they made one I would be the first to jump back into this Bronco ordering chaos. But them not making one didn't stop me from buying.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So it's as heavy as the expedition, but doesn't get expedition sized engines? Hard pass.

Bertbronco

Big Bend
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The Everest is the perfect competitor for the 4Runner and Grand Cherokee. Bronco is pitted against the wrangler. If Ford is afraid of losing Bronco sales then they should cancel the Ranger with that poor logic. People either want an off road truck (Ranger Tacoma) Bronco or Wrangler (configurable suv) or a capable suv such as the 4Runner. Ford has the answer just won’t sell it here in US.

Sponsored

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s not about whether or not if the Everest would cut into Bronco sales. The question that Ford would ask is ‘how much would the Everest grow our sales over our existing lineup’. If the Bronco plus the Bronco Sport equals 200,000 in annual sales but the Bronco plus the Sport plus the Everest equals 360,000 in sales then we will see the Everest. I guarantee Ford has a formula and the data to back it up to make their decision. Ford brought the Bronco back to compete with Jeep for market share. If the Everest can compete better then Ford would quietly drop the Bronco and move to the Everest. It’s all about sales and profits.

Bronccraig

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Challenger RT Hemi Orange
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
‘Bronco Sport’ sales..maybe

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
People either want an off road truck (Ranger Tacoma) Bronco or Wrangler (configurable suv) or a capable suv such as the 4Runnerl.
If they offered the Ranger in a Stick-shift, I'd have bought one of those instead of waiting 2 years to get my Bronco.

And yeah, 99% of the time I would be hauling air, just like 99% of the time my back seats are empty in the Bronco.

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wouldn't consider one over Bronco and would think it would cut sales of Explorer and possibly Bronco Sport depending on pricing.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think if they brought it over as a Lincoln model to really compare to the land rover (Lexus model now) and range rover it might take some sales but be different enough as that lux model to be worth it.

Agree. A more offroad capable Lincoln or maybe bring back Mercury

Anyone who thinks the Everest wouldn't at least slightly cut in to Bronco sales hasn't been paying attention.

You don't have to look very hard to find people on this forum saying they would pay more for a "Bronco" with a solid roof.

In other words they just wanted to hop the trend train. Slap a Bronco logo across the front of an Everest like it's a bigger Sport and it would sell like candy.
Depends on how much more. Current ADM on Broncos places them in Land Rover territory already and Defender specs are very close to the Bronco. At tge time $10,000 difference kept me headed to my Bronco but if the Bronco had been more than the Defender?.......

I wouldn't consider one over Bronco and would think it would cut sales of Explorer and possibly Bronco Sport depending on pricing.
Not even the Bronco Raptor can tow what the Everestt can. I see it as a true competitor of the new Pathfinder for which Ford has nothing in same size.

For those that paid attention in class the current Explorer was designed and developed by same crew that produced the full size Discovery. Taking a cue, tge Everest could be brought in as an Explorer Sport.
Sponsored