Sponsored

Would you abandon the Bronco for the FJ?

Treeza61

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2013 FJ
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There is money to be made in the segment the Jeep currently owns.

The high interest the Bronco is receiving is arguably due to Ford doing their homework and thoughtfully or luckily deciding to resurrect it beautifully in the mold of the original and giving it credibility to be a true off-road SUV.

If Toyota were to theoretically be inspired to do the same with their own legendary FJ40 series (obviously for financial reasons to gain a share of this lucrative market segment) and bring it to life staying true to the original's appealing qualities would you abandon your decision to wait for the Bronco and wait for the FJ instead ?
Maybe.
51572684-D283-431D-AB7C-21E298EA2380.jpeg

B4429AD2-F94E-4123-890A-E4DD8543A197.jpeg
Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
for a manual 4Runner with a frame that didn't rust to dust in four years, maybe, it would warrant a look for sure. Since any FJ is at a minimum almost seven years old, I would think not.

Brew3x

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If they did it right I would switch in a second. I’ve had a Tacoma for 18 years with 225k miles not a single issue other than a few recalls which I welcomed because it was new free parts.

Clint

Base
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes, but only if the doors and top came off of the FJ. Other than that, it would not be a competition. The only thing that competes with the Bronco is the Wrangler.

Sponsored

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
There is money to be made in the segment the Jeep currently owns.

The high interest the Bronco is receiving is arguably due to Ford doing their homework and thoughtfully or luckily deciding to resurrect it beautifully in the mold of the original and giving it credibility to be a true off-road SUV.

If Toyota were to theoretically be inspired to do the same with their own legendary FJ40 series (obviously for financial reasons to gain a share of this lucrative market segment) and bring it to life staying true to the original's appealing qualities would you abandon your decision to wait for the Bronco and wait for the FJ instead ?

51572684-D283-431D-AB7C-21E298EA2380.jpeg

B4429AD2-F94E-4123-890A-E4DD8543A197.jpeg
I don't see any evidence Toyota will do something like this. The new FJ renderings look awful in my opinion, lots of contrived "styling" elements. Sure the Bronco has some build quality issues, but after one year I have not had a single issue on the road, no regrets I don't want anything else. I was always skeptical of small turbo engines, but the 2.3L is a great engine and I believe with proper care it will go the long haul.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I don't see any evidence Toyota will do something like this. The new FJ renderings look awful in my opinion, lots of contrived "styling" elements. Sure the Bronco has some build quality issues, but after one year I have not had a single issue on the road, no regrets I don't want anything else. I was always skeptical of small turbo engines, but the 2.3L is a great engine and I believe with proper care it will go the long haul.
Old post that deserves to revived as we haven't had this discussion in awhile.

I will say since the original thread (2020) that I'm still Bronco-less and my FJ Cruiser is still moving me right along, every day, every time, no leaking, no wheels falling off, wipers work in the rain and the engine and transmission haven't grenaded!

So ... if Toyota offered a true competitor, then yes, absolutely would be looking!

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2D Squatch, '67 Bronco, '24 Grenadier -ordered
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

TallDude

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

IT'S A MIRACLE!!! 3 year old post gets new life.

But yeah, I'd take a modern, removable top FJ if Toyota would make it. They won't.
I had a 2011 FJ that was by far a better built vehicle than my Bronco. It was boring though. Was easy to move it when the time came. If Toyota would make it right, I'd have both. Throw in an 80s D90 and I'd be happy for a long time.
Sponsored

Last edited: