Sponsored

Would you buy a "Bronco Bones" (between Base and the Big Bend)?

Would you buy a Bronco Bones?

• Total voters

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I understand your position….4Runner offers Electronic Transfer Case on some models, Manual for their Off Road Trims. I prefer reliability over cool tech crap….Computers are more likely to have issues and break or leave you stranded.

I laugh, because being a pilot in the military, the more tech driven acft we have fly the least because of electrical gremlins 🤣 I’ll take simple and analog all day, every day with the reliability over cool tech….But that’s just me.
I have to disagree with this. Cars these days are much more reliable than they were even 30 years ago. A lot of the "nannies" as folks like to call them are put in place to prevent/reduce damage that would be done to an engine or other system when faults are detected.

Now, I'm not sure what you fly but you don't get air superiority in the 21st century flying B-17s . The performance of the F-22 and other stealth aircraft wouldn't be possible without computers
Sponsored

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Say you keep the electronic transfer case. Would that start putting it back into the realm of the current base? I’m not saying that a manual transfer case or anything else I am talking about isn’t a pain in the rear end at times, but think that when you look at long term reliability, technology, turbos, etc…Makes it hard to own something for 10 plus years without gremlins, major maintenance, etc…

I 99 coded this year, and waiting to see how these vehicles improve for next year. I’m hoping Ford gets everything worked out so that I can purchase my Bronco without worry….If there are still major issues being posted, I’ll wait until 23. Unfortunately I do not make enough money to have a garage queen, just to say I have one and have it leave me on the side of the road. Especially with a toddler with me most of the time.

Reliability is the only thing I care about and all the tech Ford has thrown into this, although on the surface is very cool and I like it….When the rubber meets the road, results is the only thing that matters and right now the results are mixed….We never hear about the good, only the bad, which makes the perception difficult.
i totally get where youre coming from. I would however say that fords ecoboost engines have proven to be very reliable long term. I would also add that my current 3.6 pentastar in my JL is naturally aspirated, has been around for a long time (not considering the changes they made in 2018 to the 3.6 platform), and it still has its issues. It pings like crazy in third gear around 3500 rpm, and these motors are notorious for RMS leaks that occur early on and are inherently flawed by design (it will continue to come back after each fix).

What im trying to say is, just because things have been around for a while and are "old school" feeling doesnt mean that they are reliable. My dads 2007 f150 has the shift-on-the-fly transfer case and nothing in that has failed over the 14 years/130K miles of the trucks life.

The bronco is mass produced, and just like all other mass produced cars, youre gunna have the guy who drives 200K problem free miles, the guy who has a lemon from day 1, and everything in between, no matter which options you get. If im spending even $40K on a basemansquatch bronco, id love for it to feel like its "with the times", as R&D is where most of that money is going towards

Reactions: Jdc

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Base or BB, BD ONLY if I got SAS.

OP
OP
Little Foot

Little Foot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have to disagree with this. Cars these days are much more reliable than they were even 30 years ago. A lot of the "nannies" as folks like to call them are put in place to prevent/reduce damage that would be done to an engine or other system when faults are detected.

Now, I'm not sure what you fly but you don't get air superiority in the 21st century flying B-17s . The performance of the F-22 and other stealth aircraft wouldn't be possible without computers
Army pilot and I can talk for days about electrical gremlins and how they stay grounded more than they fly because of it….

I agree about technology making things way better, but computers are only as good as the programmer and unfortunately we are where we are….

stratego

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla M3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agree 100% on this. Electronic stability control alone is a big reason why we don’t hear about tons of SUV rollovers, which were a major reason the bronco went away in the first place

Reworking the bronco add decontent electronics/modern tech like turbos would be more expensive and potentially impossible due to emissions/safety regulations.

Sponsored

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The "Bronco Bones" would have to include not only the option of an auto or a manual but also the option of a 2.3 or a 2.7. Then the Bronco would be "Bad to the Bone". :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Little Foot

Little Foot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I had to crack up when the list got to the hybrid part. Lol
That was a last minute add since the world is going that way anyway 🤣 The reality is that Ford is not ever going to do a bare bones version….I would like the option of the rubber floor in the base though. I’m wondering if a Black Diamond or Badlands gets totaled, how hard would it be to get the seats and floor out of them?

I am leaning more and more towards a Base. Unfortunately Ford limits so much on that one to include a plastic steering wheel and limited paint options. BUT it would seem that nobody has regretted getting a Base and I don’t think we’ve heard of any issues with a Base yet 😃

I am leaning more and more towards a Base since

OP
OP
Little Foot

Little Foot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

With the shortage of all the semiconductors and chips, I go back to my original post with some slight adjustments…..

Who would want to buy a Bronco that had:
-naturally aspirated 3.3L (currently in F-150)
-no GOAT modes available
-manual roll up/down windows
-base trim radio setup
-front & rear lockers
-rubber floors with MGV seats
-manual parking brake
-make it compatible with Ford’s Warn Winch setup

I for one would buy that setup in a heartbeat before any other model. It would probably cut out several chips and make it more durable in the long run.

@Ford Motor Company

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Giant No to the Hybrid, lose the side curtain airbags, then rhinoline the floors, and make it AM/FM radio only.

I laugh every time a guy with a high or Lux Package or Wildtrak Edition, consider themselves "Purists".:ROFLMAO:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Little Foot

Little Foot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Giant No to the Hybrid, lose the side curtain airbags, then rhinoline the floors, and make it AM/FM radio only.

I laugh every time a guy with a high or Lux Package or Wildtrak Edition, consider themselves "Purists".:ROFLMAO:
safety features are good. I’d want to keep those. Just want a bare bones Bronco that will last….Less electronics and a N/A engine

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I agree with most of what you listed. The Bean Counters at Ford probably wouldn't agree because they want to maximize profits. Also, many customers these days want all the tech bells and whistles.

OP
OP
Little Foot

Little Foot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I agree with most of what you listed. The Bean Counters at Ford probably wouldn't agree because they want to maximize profits. Also, many customers these days want all the tech bells and whistles.
Unfortunately they do. Jeep still offers a lot of this with the Wrangler Sport and Willys. I will always believe that a N/A engine will always have less issues than one that has turbos.

The more tech in the vehicle, the more likely to have issues with it.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
safety features are good. I’d want to keep those. Just want a bare bones Bronco that will last….Less electronics and a N/A engine
Lose the side curtains and you get back the original time-tested safety feature, the oh sh!t handle.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With the shortage of all the semiconductors and chips, I go back to my original post with some slight adjustments…..

Who would want to buy a Bronco that had:
-naturally aspirated 3.3L (currently in F-150)
-no GOAT modes available
-manual roll up/down windows
-base trim radio setup
-front & rear lockers
-rubber floors with MGV seats
-manual parking brake
-make it compatible with Ford’s Warn Winch setup

I for one would buy that setup in a heartbeat before any other model. It would probably cut out several chips and make it more durable in the long run.

@Ford Motor Company
I like everything on the list but the V6, that's a total deal killer.
Sponsored