Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, King Ranch F250, Taurus SHO
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

For those who are interested, Iā€™m in the process of getting my SEMA garage membership approved to gain access to the CAD files for design and development of custom hard tops. I really think yā€™all will love the concept and eventual products.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems most of you are missing the point. OP is trying to start up building of tops himself.

Go for it... build it and they will come. I understand the potential need for the preorder capital... but you may not find it in here (lots of skeptics). I canā€™t even get dimensions for something I was gonna build a few of for free... so best wishes to ya.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Austin, I see your thread was resurrected as threads are quick to fall off the main page. From a HT perspective, for me, it needs to be above and beyond what the factory offers. There are some of us that want to have a unique but functional HT that stands out from the mass produced factory option (presuming the modular HT remains as designed currently).

You might want to take a look at Gr8Tops for Jeep and in particular their Safari Cab HT. Giving a little height to the top yet maintaining a sloped front/rear is a plus. Sliders are a must for me (all the better if they are powered). Adding pocket windows on the rear corners is a plus for styling. Also, if you do want to go the route of offering a moonroof option for the freedom panels or gunner's hatch on the current 2-dr mod top design, then I would look at JeeTop instead of Clearlidz.

Sponsored

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Beach_Bum by pocket windows on the corners, do you mean so it looks like a full wrap around rear window that does away with the rear post look? If so, thatā€™s what Iā€™ve been hoping to see as well... to just be able to remove three hard plastic windows with interior latches but leave the rest of the top on. Easy to replace if they got scuffed up. Could use pre tinted polycarbonate and little stainless latches. Ok, Iā€™m not good at describing whatā€™s in my head, but I think it would be really nice.

OP
OP
BuckWildOffRoad

BuckWildOffRoad

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Thank you for the perspective and resourceful information you provided. I agree the top must be superior to factory in many aspects, including quality and function. My design is very modular in nature and be able to customized before or after order for individual needs and function. I was already wanting to design a one off for myself before this whole hardtop catastrophe, but I see no reason to not build it for others.

Again, thank you for the information.

Austin, I see your thread was resurrected as threads are quick to fall off the main page. From a HT perspective, for me, it needs to be above and beyond what the factory offers. There are some of us that want to have a unique but functional HT that stands out from the mass produced factory option (presuming the modular HT remains as designed currently).

You might want to take a look at Gr8Tops for Jeep and in particular their Safari Cab HT. Giving a little height to the top yet maintaining a sloped front/rear is a plus. Sliders are a must for me (all the better if they are powered). Adding pocket windows on the rear corners is a plus for styling. Also, if you do want to go the route of offering a moonroof option for the freedom panels or gunner's hatch on the current 2-dr mod top design, then I would look at JeeTop instead of Clearlidz.

OP
OP
BuckWildOffRoad

BuckWildOffRoad

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Thank you. I agree I might not find the startup capital here and thatā€™s ok. Once I have a few more pieces in play I think running a funding campaign will become easier.

Seems most of you are missing the point. OP is trying to start up building of tops himself.

Go for it... build it and they will come. I understand the potential need for the preorder capital... but you may not find it in here (lots of skeptics). I canā€™t even get dimensions for something I was gonna build a few of for free... so best wishes to ya.

OP
OP
BuckWildOffRoad

BuckWildOffRoad

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Thank you for posting and getting this back into discussion, I have been actively working on acquiring data and CAD files needed for me to take this into the next level. Right now I am in the process of my SEMA garage membership validation with Ford. They are requiring quite a few things related to the product and business plan. Once I am qualified I will start immediately on design and CAD drawings.

Thanks again!

Hey Bud,

I know Iā€™m a little late to the party but I would for sure buy am aftermarket hard top. I ended up changing my order from the Wildtrak to the Badlands with a softy just to get it earlier.
In terms of features, a quieter lid to keep the noise out. I hear some of the factory tops have been creaking and what not. So, more noice cancelation and a manual moon roof would be awesome. I know it seems redundant but something to let some air in on the go would be great.

Anyway, first post here. Was on the hunt for an aftermarket hardtop and saw your poll. Just registered and glad to join the community. Cheers.

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Iā€™d like to see a stamped aluminum version. 1 piece

Sponsored

caknowlt

Badlands
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wouldnā€™t mind some sort of halfcab looking option. preferably in white

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interested, would crowdfund a small group, not preordering from anyone established that should already have R&D

CCross

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy 2500HD Duramax, 2000 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you for the perspective and resourceful information you provided. I agree the top must be superior to factory in many aspects, including quality and function. My design is very modular in nature and be able to customized before or after order for individual needs and function. I was already wanting to design a one off for myself before this whole hardtop catastrophe, but I see no reason to not build it for others.

Again, thank you for the information.
All it needs to be to be superior to the factory option is available. šŸ˜‚

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

the idea of another aftermarket supplier sounds great, but if ford is reluctant to deliver the vehicles the point becomes moot. ford is under governmental constraints, to make lighter more fuel efficient vehicles. they are not going to put on a aftermarket top or other accessories which will push these vehicles over that maximum weight. there is a reason the winch is not a factory installed item. the wrangler molded fiberglass top is easy to produce, but weighs a ton (not literally but figuratively). and sorry to mention it buck wild, but talking to mad people, who are desperate to get their car and ask if they are willing to buy a product to speed up that process, might not be the best model to build a business on. ford will fix their supply chain and your market will dry up and they you have an investment without a customer base. right now the idea of getting a top sounds great, but as soon as the production issues with ford's tops is resolved you are out of business unless you are able to get a contract with ford for factory installation on factory vehicles, then we are back to the ability to produce a light top...

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

the idea of another aftermarket supplier sounds great, but if ford is reluctant to deliver the vehicles the point becomes moot. ford is under governmental constraints, to make lighter more fuel efficient vehicles. they are not going to put on a aftermarket top or other accessories which will push these vehicles over that maximum weight. there is a reason the winch is not a factory installed item. the wrangler molded fiberglass top is easy to produce, but weighs a ton (not literally but figuratively). and sorry to mention it buck wild, but talking to mad people, who are desperate to get their car and ask if they are willing to buy a product to speed up that process, might not be the best model to build a business on. ford will fix their supply chain and your market will dry up and they you have an investment without a customer base. right now the idea of getting a top sounds great, but as soon as the production issues with ford's tops is resolved you are out of business unless you are able to get a contract with ford for factory installation on factory vehicles, then we are back to the ability to produce a light top...
I disagree. Austin's market shouldn't be those who are content with a factory option. Sure there is a void now, but even after the factory options are available, there will be a market segment who want a superior product over what the factory offers.
Sponsored