Sponsored

Would you consider the Ford Explorer Timberline over Bronco?

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nope. If I'm getting an explorer it would be the ST. The 3.0L is a hell of an engine.
Sponsored

LostInArizona

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands non-sas 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's a nice addition to the line-up no doubt. But its not even remotely comparable to a Bronco, at least with regards to why most people actually want a Bronco. In other words, I don't think anybody cross shopping a Bronco would be looking at that at all. If I had to guess, the folks that would be looking at that are large families in mountainous regions like western Colorado that want a little more capability, but can't sacrifice the seating capacity. If you like that though, go for it! Its a nice looking ride regardless!

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

GTFO

NurseDan

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I already bought my stopgap car a couple a month ago so I'm good until whenever I order my MY22 Bronco. However, If the Bronco (for whatever reason) doesn't happen, I'd briefly consider an Explorer. I do very much like that interior! Wish the Bronco had that "Forged Cypress" interior.

Sponsored

TonyWonder

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Altima
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Nope, looks cool though. Would consider it over a Honda Pilot.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm looking to replace my '13 Explorer in addition to getting my Bronco. The Timberline might work.

Bronco6Geo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands Non-Squatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Waiting for my May Ford delivery ETA email. My mom always said it’s good to keep your options open and always have a backup plan. I might consider the Timberline if my order gets pushed out to far in ‘22. Anyone else think this Explorer is a great consideration? It looks fantastic, looks capable (obviously not a rock crawler) or Baja Champion but it drives unbelievable well, tows +5,000 lbs (great camper) is available this summer and could be a good competitor to the Defender. I would love to have someone put this up against the Defender in real off road comparison.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2021/05/05/new-ford-explorer-timberline.html
I think it looks like a great 3-row crossover that will outperform most vehicles in its class, off-road. Being single, I definitely prefer the Bronco. I prefer body-on-frame SUVs in general and have had a thing for Broncos ever since my dad (who worked for Ford) brought a 1st gen home as a loner car when his lease-vehicle was in the shop in the mid 1970s.

desibull

Black Diamond
First Name
Mahesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Starting price point will definitely be high given they are adding on to a base Explorer..looks cant be a Bronco though...will wait until I get mine.....

Loubiz90

Base
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You can go get an explorer now, and anytime during the last 25 yrs. Bronco or...my 1990 Bronco for me lol

Sponsored

Rubicon 2 Badlands

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubicon / 2021 Bronco: Badlands/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Waiting for my May Ford delivery ETA email. My mom always said it’s good to keep your options open and always have a backup plan. I might consider the Timberline if my order gets pushed out to far in ‘22. Anyone else think this Explorer is a great consideration? It looks fantastic, looks capable (obviously not a rock crawler) or Baja Champion but it drives unbelievable well, tows +5,000 lbs (great camper) is available this summer and could be a good competitor to the Defender. I would love to have someone put this up against the Defender in real off road comparison.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2021/05/05/new-ford-explorer-timberline.html
As a loaner vehicle while my Bronco is getting serviced, sure. ;)

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not sure if it needed more lift… or different styling, but I’m underwhelmed with what Ford did here.

The new Z71 Off-road Tahoe seems to have accomplished this much better… from an aesthetic perspective at least.

1620309413867.jpeg
What's the total square footage on that grille?

OP
OP
Djdmustang

Djdmustang

Badlands
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Its def not a replacement for the Bronco but If someone needs a new car and cant wait a year........... well..... its a good option if you are not Mr. X games off road guy that needs a frame with lockers all around. Plenty of positives and Negatives to both vehicles. Looks like a great vehicle for me for a year until My22 and then magically transfer the Explorer in the wife's lap....... How do I get that to go my way? Hm???

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No Way!! I'm 100% getting the Bronco for Off-Road and Rock Crawling capabilities. I have a lifted Tundra 4x4 now and use it for those purposes, but it's also a great truck. If I were to look at ANYTHING else it would be a Gladiator, but then I would have to trade in/sell my current truck, which I don't want to do. I need to keep my truck as a daily driver and tow rig (10,000 lb) for getting my MONSTER BRONCO to the trails.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I am buying the bronco for 1 reason basically...

I dont go offroad, I dont ford rivers, I dont even camp or fish, I dont even like to eat fish. I am an indoor cat and I dont apologize for it.

But Im also a tinkerer, I have a workshop in the garage, I love to build things and modify things.

I enjoy fitting more than 3 sheets of paper in my trunk, towing a trailer with lumber, having some ride height on the road, and I enjoy modifying my car, not because I want m0ar performance, but because I enjoy understanding the engineering, and doing the wrenching.

Also, I love open air vehicles. roof, doors, awesome.

So... no, I am not considering anything other than a bronco. It checks all the boxes. No spruced up offroad alternatives are even in my radar. If I wasnt buying a bronco, I would probably buy a GLE or something luxurious.
This - when my son's totalled Jeep was towed away, it was like part of me died having so many wrench hours into it. I have really enjoyed my JK for the same reason, and will be sad when it goes. I know it's modular, and the Mustang guys do all sorts of wrenching, so I am hoping the Bronco gets enough aftermarket to provide endless hours of garage entertainment (for good reasons).

Note though, that you will have to find a trail so you can test, adjust and use those mods or your journey is incomplete.
Sponsored