Sponsored

Would you like to have seen a roll down rear window instead of flip up?

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The very kind and helpful gentleman I spent a long time talking to at super cel East helped me understand the side swing, in which about every off roader with a spare tire rear mounted has had to have.
The very kind and helpful gentleman was either an idiot, or born AFTER the Bronco ended production in 96. Because the quote below is correct, 80's and 90's Broncos were all about that swing out tire carrier.

I've seen a few videos so far where these Ford "whatever they want to call themselves" speak of paying homage to the original Bronco, but not making an exact copy. Which is funny because on some of the things that would've separated them from Jeep only seem to look more like a clone of Jeep.

Now I gotta get out of this thread, that swing gate just irks me way too much!

They could have used a separate tubular spare carrier hinged to swing out of the way for the tailgate to drop down. :cool:
Sponsored

wolfpackinva

Black Diamond
First Name
Santiago
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Focus, '08 E350, '13 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nope. Roll down on my 83 stopped working and I drove around on some cold rainy days with no back glass.

mneblett

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2019 Mustang GT vert, 2019 Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Another no.

Besides the weight, cost, complication, etc., the weather strip at the top is a negative -- look at all of the 1990's Broncos with rust holes at the bottom of their tailgates for the reason why ...

Clint Callahan

Black Diamond
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior Edition
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Same thing x2 for some of us and I know how to operate manual window cranks. Would have them if offered.
And I would crank it ALL NIGHT LONG!!!

Sponsored

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes, I would have wanted it for fly fishing rod transportation.
In the first gen bronco's it was a flip up and if you wanted to have something hang out the back you could leave the window open and just close the lower part.
When I was a kid I remember my dad doing this to bring 2x4s home from home depot.

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 2011 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In the first gen bronco's it was a flip up and if you wanted to have something hang out the back you could leave the window open and just close the lower part.
When I was a kid I remember my dad doing this to bring 2x4s home from home depot.
I’m unfamiliar with the first gen - sounds like the same setup the 6th gen will have though, correct? I’ve never had an SUV that had a flip up back window, how safe is it to dive with it open, and on dirt roads?

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've had 4 roll down windows in my life and hope to never see another. I've taken tailgates apart more times than I can count to replace motors and window tracks. Heck no I didn't want a roll down window.

And before someone asks, yeah, I'd take crank windows if they were offered. I just replaced the passenger side motor in my Tacoma this summer. Wasn't the first door motor I've replaced either.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m unfamiliar with the first gen - sounds like the same setup the 6th gen will have though, correct? I’ve never had an SUV that had a flip up back window, how safe is it to dive with it open, and on dirt roads?
Same setup as Jeep wranglers, and driving around with the glass up and the gate closed is pretty common practice.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Surely we have complained about this before, right?
and I see the results are about the same ....those that want one .....and those who have had them( and have therefore had them fail).
I'll take the flip up please! That's what I would have voted for.

Sponsored

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Curious if anyone was expecting a power rear window that rolls down into the door vs the flip up? I kinda thought Bronco was gonna do it different from Wrangler. Maybe a cost thing?
Nope, I prefer the fold up rear window. Fewer parts to fail, my 85 Bronco’s rear window was always fussy. Plus the fold up provides a brief moments protection in the rain.

AleYeah

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Unlimited, 1976 VW poptop Bus
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Same setup as Jeep wranglers, and driving around with the glass up and the gate closed is pretty common practice.
As a Jeep owner, I gotta say, this is one of the head-scratchers of our community. It looks totally stupid.

usarms

Big Bend
First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Nope, I had to Broncos with a roll down tailgate window and if you check around you'll see many of them don't work just as mine didn't. Reason? The rear window weather seal eventually dries out and cracks allowing water to get in the tailgate and ruin the motor, wiring etc. That's also why most of the tailgates are rusted out on the bottom. I had a couple replaced at the Ford dealer. it's a pain in the butt job. Lots of foul language and blood. It's a lot more reliable to use a flip up.

Last edited: