Would you really swap?

BuckinBronc0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It seems nowadays engine swaps get thrown around as much as bench racing buddies over a few beers in the dead of winter. It’s good to see that the Bronco community we’re apart of is ambitious in wanting to customize their rig to the next level dreaming of the endless engine swap combinations. (I’m sure the lack of a factory v8 option has helped pushed these ideas along) But for the vast majority of people their tires never get any traction into actually putting a game plan into action.

With all of the integrated modules that are apart of the CAN BUS network that play an important role in making everything function in a modern car or truck; the idea of swapping in any drivetrain from a Coyote to an LS or Cummins is a lot more involved than even swapping them into a 1960’s whatever. Physical engine fitment is one thing but retaining the tech that makes a modern Bronco so nice is another beast itself. The level of difficulty involved in integrating the powertrain with the body control functions will be the biggest hurdle in any modern car/truck engine swap.

Of course, no one actually has a ‘21 Bronco in their driveway yet so this is all theory at this point. Are there any Ford Engineers or someone that knows the intricacies of making a modern CAN BUS network work with an engine swap in the Bronco6g forums that could shed some light on this subject?
Sponsored

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Get yours, drive it for a decade and then you can find out if the swap companies have refined their business and it doesn't cost $50K on top of a $50K truck. In the interim, enjoy your Bronco and make the determination to put a different engine in after warranty expires. ;)

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Agreed. These guys think it is the 50s and 60s and it's NOT!

They are just bored out their minds and just just think of crazy shit to talk about.

:)

Unless you are incredibly savvy or work for a high end auto shop, you are not swapping this thing.

Sponsored

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd be more inclined to punch the 2.7L out to 3.0L when I rack up enough miles to need to freshen things up personally. Same basic block design though the 3.0L uses an aluminum block for its more car-based applications. Should be able to just re-sleeve the CGI 2.7L block and bring the rotating assembly over. Would be a stout little turbo motor with a ton of head room to turn things up. It'd be a ton less work staying in the same family and you already have the details worked out to go up in size from Ford. That's barring finding a wrecked Warthog, ST, etc. to pull a whole 3.0L out of and saving yourself the machine work.

Last edited:

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would swap to the Raptor 3.5L if I blew up my 2.7 and it wasn't covered under warranty or warranty had expired. This is assuming it happens years down the line and someone has already figured out how to do it. It's not worth the time and money for me to try and figure it out myself. I also probably wouldn't want to take it on until it's not my daily driver anymore so that's probably at least 5 years away, if ever.

Realistically, I will get a tune and maybe upgrade some bolt-on stuff, but an engine swap is not in my future.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’d be more inclined to do a built 2.3, supporting mods and a bigger turbo, beefier 7mt transmission and make 500 whp. This already exists in the Mustang, Focus, 2.3 world. Once you start swapping motors like this, the car becomes a Hobby, not an economical, reliable form of transportation. It would certainly be fun though!

Ford Bronco Would you really swap? FABB4972-5AEA-46F0-A320-C9EC8D2B6559

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All you do when you do a swap is ruin the resale value, wait until Ford puts the V8 in the Warthaog!
The chances of a factory V8 are somewhere between slim and none. Also, I doubt we'll see the 3.5L either. I have almost no doubt it'll be the 3.0L. I could actually see the 3.0L eventually phasing out the 3.5L. It's a newer, more robust design. Drawn from the ground up to be a turbo motor. If they really wanted to turn up the wick they've already got a 3.0L mild-hybrid version with 494hp and 630 ft/lb of torque in their arsenal.

Sponsored

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
All you do when you do a swap is ruin the resale value, wait until Ford puts the V8 in the Warthaog!
Warthaog fought valiantly on behalf of Morgoth at the end of the First Age of Middle Earth. He was a brave Balrog.

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Who ARE these guys?

“Yeah, I want to drop $50K on a brand new ride with the latest technology.

Then I’m going to rip out the engine and put in some Frankenblock that I welded in my back yard.

Then I’m gonna tear out the entire undercarriage and put it on 10 foot stilts.

While I’m at it, fuck that transmission. I got an old can opener attached to a cast iron hamster wheel, bolted onto some German gear work that I pulled out of a Panzer tank rusting in the Egyptian desert.

That ought to make it run real sweet.

I’m going to use it to plunge 3000 feet into the Grand Canyon, smash it on the rocks, almost drown myself in the rapids. Then do it all over again with a different vehicle. I guess I’ll use bundles of narco-terrorist $100 bills, burning them next to a cave while I wait for Search and Rescue to find me.”

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd only do a swap if they offered a plug and play kit for the 2.7 with a 6/7spd manual that was also easy to install.

Otherwise just building up the 2.3
Sponsored