First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Mustang, 2008 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ok, so I know there are a lot of us out there (myself included) who have been shopping around because of the delays related to the bronco. With the Wrangler 4xe coming out really soon, I was very seriously considering talking to a dealer about it after seeing some price quotes that others had posted on the forum. I did the rough pricing out myself for my needs and the total came to ~43,291 for the Sahara version after the federal tax credit and and a generous 10% off msrp (someone else on the forum said they were able to negotiate to this price). My 4 door BD is pricing out to just about the same price after the x plan equivalent pricing that I was able to negotiate with my dealer.

To me this made the wrangler 4xe very attractive because of the better fuel economy, HP, instant Torque, etc. However, there are obvious downsides including lower storage space, more complicated and untested platform, have to wait for the federal tax credit, etc.

So my tie breaker was going to be looking at how much I could save in fuel costs by driving the 4xe with the listed fuel economy numbers. My results are shocking to say the least, and to be honest, it doesn't seem accurate. Look over my math and correct me if I am wrong, but I am calculating that the cost to drive per mile is basically the same as a bronco. Calculating direct costs to drive between electric and gas is a little confusing and I had to make some assumptions, but here it goes. For the bronco, I had to assume a combined fuel economy of 21. Some might argue this is high, but this is the listed city fuel economy for the ranger, so lets go with that for now.

Assumptions:

Wrangler 4xe (50 MPGe, 17 Kw Hr battery, 17.2 gallon fuel tank, 400 mile driving range)
Bronco BD (21 MPG???)

Fuel Costs
Gas: 2.33 national avg
Electricity: 0.17 /kwhr (Current cost in michigan in residential neighborhoods. National average is 0.135 if you would prefer that method)

Wrangler 4xe cost/mile to drive:
Cost for Electric Fill up = (0.17*17 kwhr) = 2.89$
Cost for Gas Fill up = 2.33 * 17.2 gal = 40.08$
Cost per mile to drive = (400 mi)/ (40.08+2.89) = 0.107 $/mile

Bronco Cost/mile to drive: (2.33 $/gal ) / (21 mi/gal) = 0.111 $/mile
(The value only changes to 0.115 if you assume 20 mpg combined)

How is this possible??? The cost per mile in fuel is effectively the same for both vehicles (a difference of 0.004 $/mile). This shocked me and seemingly takes away one of the biggest benefits to driving a plug in hybrid. And for those of you saying, "well most people will drive on fully electric since their commute is less than 25 miles ". Well here are those numbers as well.

Cost to drive Wrangler 4xe purely on electric per mile:

(0.17 $/kwhr * 17 kwhr battery)/25 mi = 0.115 (in michigan)
(0.135 $/kwhr * 17 kwhr battery)/25 mi = 0.091 (national average)

So there is a marginal decrease in cost using the national average electricity cost, but it actually costs more to drive electric in Michigan. How is this possible? Is my math wrong? Someone please poke a hole in this because my mind is breaking from this. If this is true, the wrangler 4xe effectively gets no cost benefits for driving on electricity. Admittedly, electricity costs in Michigan are above the national average (0.17 vs 0.135) and a comparable tesla gets about 120 MPGe compared to the jeeps 50 MPGe, but this is still crazy to me. If this is true, it is making my decision to stay with the Bronco a little easier.
Sponsored

Last edited:

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't think your formulas are equivalent. Mine may not be either.

One of your formulas is cost per mpg and the other is range divided by cost to fill up.

Equivalent formulas are cost per gallon/mpg
Jeep is (2.33+.115)/50 = $0.0489
Bronco is (2.33)/21 = $.1109

Last edited:
OP
OP

bjellefs

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't think your formulas are equivalent.
It is purely calculating a $ cost to drive per mile. (total cost for a fill up/miles driven). I agree the numbers don't appear to make sense but I have double checked and can't find an error. If you see one please feel free to point out the specific problem and I am happy to adjust my math and thinking.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Actually the 4XE is getting 23.2 MPG, 400/17.2=23.2 mpg, and I doubt you will average 21 in the Bronco, more like 19, so that would make the Bronco range about 325 miles vs 400.

Judge Rufus

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Wheeler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80, GMC Sierra, Mercedes SLK32 AMG,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Wrangler 4xe (50 MPGe, 17 Kw Hr battery, 17.2 gallon fuel tank, 400 mile driving range)
At 50MPGe with a 17.2 gallon tank, how do you only have a 400 mile range? This isn't an EV, it's a hybrid, which extends your MPG of the internal combustion engine.

Sponsored
OP
OP

bjellefs

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Actually the 4XE is getting 23.2 MPG, 400/17.2=23.2 mpg, and I doubt you will average 21 in the Bronco, more like 19, so that would make the Bronco range about 325 miles vs 400.
Your math is correct if this was a purely gas vehicle, but I assume that Jeep included the 25 miles of electric range in that 400 mile range estimate, so really it would be 375/17.2 = 21.8 if we are to ignore the electricity component. If this assumption is incorrect, please correct me.

OP
OP

bjellefs

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
At 50MPGe with a 17.2 gallon tank, how do you only have a 400 mile range? This isn't an EV, it's a hybrid, which extends your MPG of the internal combustion engine.
400 miles of range is the listed range on Jeeps website.

toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What size fuel tank are you using for the Bronco? 2Dr is 16.9gal the 4dr is 20.8gal

OP
OP

bjellefs

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What size fuel tank are you using for the Bronco? 2Dr is 16.9gal the 4dr is 20.8gal
You don't need to use a fuel tank size for the bronco calculation since it is purely a gas engine. Assuming a combined fuel economy allows you to calculate the cost per mile just from that number.

The jeep is different since it has effectively 2 different fuel types that cost different amounts to drive the vehicle. I needed a way to equate the cost of the different fuel types, hence my math above and the final value of Cost/mile.

Sponsored

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

i don't care cuz i FKNG HATE the ride in a Jeep Wrangler ..... I hope the Bronco feels better cuz of a different suspension setup

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My wife owned a Tesla Model S for about 2 years. The electric bill was about $50/month more then it is now without the Tesla. It required charging after 8pm to get the better pricing from Electric Co. If you charge during the day at peak hours, the price is much higher. My wife did save money over a gasoline vehicle during that time but the Tesla was 100% electric. I am of the opinion that the hybrid design is much more complicated with so many extra parts that it would be a gremlin waiting for an owner. I have no idea why people are so interested in hybrid off-road vehicles myself, but that's just me.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Your math is correct if this was a purely gas vehicle, but I assume that Jeep included the 25 miles of electric range in that 400 mile range estimate, so really it would be 375/17.2 = 21.8 if we are to ignore the electricity component. If this assumption is incorrect, please correct me.
True, but we don't know how much help the electric is, because they don't state that.

OP
OP

bjellefs

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My wife owned a Tesla Model S for about 2 years. The electric bill was about $50/month more then it is now without the Tesla. It required charging after 8pm to get the better pricing from Electric Co. If you charge during the day at peak hours, the price is much higher. My wife did save money over a gasoline vehicle during that time but the Tesla was 100% electric. I am of the opinion that the hybrid design is much more complicated with so many extra parts that it would be a gremlin waiting for an owner. I have no idea why people are so interested in hybrid off-road vehicles myself, but that's just me.
That is a good point. Costs could be greatly affected by the time of day that you charge.

Judge Rufus

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Wheeler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80, GMC Sierra, Mercedes SLK32 AMG,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm guessing they are using funky math to get the 50 MPGe.

They are assuming that for daily driving you will not drive the first 25 miles on the electric motor and then consume all the fuel until it's empty before charging the battery. But, you will drive your daily miles and then recharge the battery each night or extended stop. For daily driving it will primarily rely on the electric motor and battery for output. But the ICE is their to kick in for longer trips, so that the average expected MPGe is 50.
Sponsored