lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Trac, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It actually is a plug in electric. You can charge it from the wall outlet in your house.
Really if that's the case why would I need amazon to send out an electrician? I can change a light bulb and plug in electrical devices into a wall socket

J_Meh_Cray_D

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silverado Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Braking recharges the batteries as well, though I donā€™t know how much.

Martymo

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think Jeep did a very clever thing with the 4xe. The efficiency is not the big benefit here. Itā€™s getting a combined 375hp and 470 trq while the gov is paying for $7000 of it (if you pay at least that in fed taxes). That credit along with dealer discounts makes it tough to beat on paper. It also makes them look better to the environmentalist.

Sponsored

MLRey

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 18 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So the 4xe is marginally cheaper per mile to drive than the Bronco with gas in the low $2/gal range. But doubt that's going to last, here in CA average is about $3.50 in my area. The 4xe might prove to be a very good choice if we get back to the $5 days. I remember filling my truck and watching the pump going beyond $100 for a fill up. Makes long trips pretty painful. If I can place my Bronco order with a refundable deposit I'll be considering the 4xe pretty hard this year.

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, from my perspective, this really comes down to how far you drive on a trip. If you were driving the entire range in a single day, then figure your first 25 miles is at a slightly reduced cost (elec charge vs gas price) and the remainder is at whatever the MPG difference is between vehicles.

However, and I will use my wife's recent purchase of a Toyota RAV4 Prime as an example here. It is also a PHEV, but with a higher full electric range - stated at 41 -42 miles. In practice (so far in winter) she gets about 37-38 before the gas kicks in. She drive about 40 miles round trip for work. She charges it overnight, and so she uses very little gas at all.

In fact, in the first 1000 miles, she used 5.75 gallons of gas. Our electric is about 11 cents/kWh, with an 18.1 kWh battery pack. That makes it about $2 to go 38 miles, and she gets about 38mpg combined gas mileage as well. Right now in NJ regular is topping $2.69, so she is saving about $.70 over gas by using electricity for her commute. But if she did not charge, or was driving a couple hundred miles, her savings would be diluted greatly. It has great torque and acceleration (fastest car Toyota makes - faster than supra 2.0) and she feels good about driving it. In this case, YMMV, in the truest sense of that term.

Reactions: csj

4X4 Lady

Outer Banks
First Name
Fran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 4x4 Navigator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My question is: If youā€™re on a road trip and not going home to your plug in, how far out of your way do you have to travel to plug in? Since theyā€™re building all these green new jobs that are placing these charging stations all over the U.S., isnā€™t the cost of charging going to differ from state to state, just like gas? Is the tow guy bringing an adaptable solar panel and a gas can for ya?

GoldenKnight

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
We got a 4xe for my wife. She loves it and was tired of waiting for our Bronco reservation. I'll keep the Bronco for myself instead of it being hers, so it works out better anyways lol

The dealer applied the $7.5k off of msrp at the time of the deal. I'll try and get extra money from the fed come tax time too lol

Currently trying to get a charger installed. Can also get up to $1k back from that through federal rebates. There might even be some state money too

MDPensfan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We got a 4xe for my wife. She loves it and was tired of waiting for our Bronco reservation. I'll keep the Bronco for myself instead of it being hers, so it works out better anyways lol

The dealer applied the $7.5k off of msrp at the time of the deal. I'll try and get extra money from the fed come tax time too lol

Currently trying to get a charger installed. Can also get up to $1k back from that through federal rebates. There might even be some state money too
How does it drive? Is the acceleration pretty decent? I really donā€™t care much about the efficiency comparisons between it and the Bronco, I just want something I can actually drive in the next 12 months.

I know the fanboys say ā€œYouā€™re not buying it to drag race,ā€ which is true. But getting a twin turbo engine, while still getting crap mileage and apparently dogshit slow to mediocre performance, is disappointing.

Sponsored

GoldenKnight

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
How does it drive? Is the acceleration pretty decent? I really donā€™t care much about the efficiency comparisons between it and the Bronco, I just want something I can actually drive in the next 12 months.

I know the fanboys say ā€œYouā€™re not buying it to drag race,ā€ which is true. But getting a twin turbo engine, while still getting crap mileage and apparently dogshit slow to mediocre performance, is disappointing.
It drives pretty well, still Jeep like, but definitely better than previous versions. The creature comforts are way above previous models as well. We've got the High Altitude which has most of the bells and whistles and a really nice interior.

It's heavy and shaped like a brick, but 0-60 is 6 seconds flat. Which in a vehicle like this feels downright fast. In hybrid drive I think you're working with 375 HP and 470 lbs-tq.

$7.5k off because of the EV credit definitely played until my decision as well. I ended up 13% under MSRP which I thought was pretty good for a car that was available right off the transport. It was a dealer order that we negotiated for while it was in transit.

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My question is: If youā€™re on a road trip and not going home to your plug in, how far out of your way do you have to travel to plug in? Since theyā€™re building all these green new jobs that are placing these charging stations all over the U.S., isnā€™t the cost of charging going to differ from state to state, just like gas? Is the tow guy bringing an adaptable solar panel and a gas can for ya?
You don't have to plug it in to drive it. So if you're on a long road trip you can, as an example, switch it into "hybrid" mode which works a lot more like a traditional hybrid, recharges the battery as you drive, doesn't use it all up in electric mode, etc.

You actually wouldn't have to ever plug it in if you didn't want to, but that wouldn't be efficient use of the technology.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You don't have to plug it in to drive it. So if you're on a long road trip you can, as an example, switch it into "hybrid" mode which works a lot more like a traditional hybrid, recharges the battery as you drive, doesn't use it all up in electric mode, etc.

You actually wouldn't have to ever plug it in if you didn't want to, but that wouldn't be efficient use of the technology.
The only other thing Iā€™ll add to this is you donā€™t need a super charger or anything like that. If you can find a standard wall outlet, you should be able to plug in (at least you can with most other EVā€™s). Itā€™ll be slow as heck, but if youā€™re overnighting in a hotel or something, it should be pretty decent overnight.
Sponsored