Written commitment to buy required before dealer will place order

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
I would be concerned with what their “pricing policy” is. Did they commit to a price with you yet? If not, then why are they asking you for anything other than your reservation which is a commitment to order? Your commitment is when the vehicle comes in and you decide you still want it after seeing it, touching it, sitting in it and driving it. If you don’t want it, you don’t buy it and they put it on the lot for probably a significant mark up.

Advertisement

DesertRat

Outer Banks
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado 4X4
Relax. I received the same email from the same dealer. Part of the email was not posted. Those of you afraid to commit aren’t serious. Some of you act like the rest of us are stupid and naive.

I’ll sign a commitment to show that I AM committed. You guys can stay with you shady dealers that go on and on about shuffling the order and different levels of order codes. This dealer will tell us where we are in HIS allocation line. Let’s see your dealers written commitment to follow the reservation order. Suddenly some of you become English majors and contract attorneys. It shows me something about you.

I can’t wait to get my call from them and I’m glad that their policy includes a very short window of time to respond to the call to order. I’m moving up the line for sure when the lookie loos are exposed. They honor x plan equivalent pricing levels btw so it’s a great deal.

I am not connected to any dealer nor am I associated to this dealer. I am with him because it’s a straight up deal and I feel that I won’t be pushed behind dealer friends and rock stars.

shoelessjoe

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Clubs

Deposit is commitment, but I am not purchasing a vehicle that shows up with the incorrect features or is damaged, etc.
They can't force you to buy a vehicle that has the wrong options or if it was damaged at the factory, during transport or at the dealership.

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
I would laugh and walk out.

Although, it is not clear on that write up what the penalty would be if I didn't come through.

They keep my deposit? They come for me for full price? What is their pricing policy?

Its a pretty shitty written commitment.

Either way 2 points stand:

1. You'd be foolish to agree to buy something you haven't seen in person and test driven. If you're offended by foolish let me rephrase... you'd be brave to.

2. They can easily mark up the bronco i walk out on and sell it to someone that doesn't have a reservation and wants one upon release. So at that point they'd still pocket my deposit? Nah.

Hopefully my dealer doesn't pull anything like that.

AZshot

Big Bend
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Clubs

I expect ALL dealers want a commitment to buy from you when you order. They're not a huge national chain like Walmart, they're small private companies. It's not a mass-market $35 blender you can just 'return' if you don't like it. It's a $35,000 custom manufactured product built as YOU specifiy. You order at $3000 guitar or a custom home, you can't let them build it then look at it and sniff, "nah....I changed my mind." That's not how contracts work. They are an agreement. They agree to build what you asked for (statement of work), you agree to buy it.

If you did try that you can be sure they'd NEVER let you order another Ford. Tire kickers playing games are the bane of business.

DesertRat

Outer Banks
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado 4X4
I would laugh and walk out.

Although, it is not clear on that write up what the penalty would be if I didn't come through.

They keep my deposit? They come for me for full price? What is their pricing policy?

Its a pretty shitty written commitment.

Either way 2 points stand:

1. You'd be foolish to agree to buy something you haven't seen in person and test driven. If you're offended by foolish let me rephrase... you'd be brave to.

2. They can easily mark up the bronco i walk out on and sell it to someone that doesn't have a reservation and wants one upon release. So at that point they'd still pocket my deposit? Nah.

Hopefully my dealer doesn't pull anything like that.
News flash - YOU are the foolish one to order a Bronco WITHOUT a commitment up front. But you admitted you have to drive it first so your opinion isn't relevant anyway because you aren't part of the 2021 buyers. No 2021 buyers will drive one before we order. Thanks for the sage advice but I have it under control thank you.

Also, you make the ASSumption that this dealer is asking for a deposit.

PaBronco

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2019 F-150 SuperCrew
So the doc appears to be a dealer drafted doc. If you are concerned with a commitment, add a phrase at the end "if the delivered vehicle meets my satisfaction."

You may bounce twice when they throw you out the door, but give it a shot.

Ponyride302

Base
First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-350 CC dually, 1997 Infiniti QX-4
I read on one of the forum posts that a dealer will be penalized if the reservation holder is not the final buyer. I think this was to try and prevent dealers from reserving them and putting them on the lot. Correct me if I am wrong.
I think some of the other replies are accurate that the writer of the email could have done it better.

RLW

First Name
Robert
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Lexus GS 300, 2009 Ford Expedition
Clubs

I think the key for the original poster is to get clarification from your dealer. I don't think it is shady business here. Just more poor, or confusing, wording/communication.

Call and talk to them. Ask questions. Stop by and have a chat. Sit down decide on price, etc. get something in writing for price/options/deposit.

Good Communication is key.

Advertisement

Advertisement