Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition | 4 Door | Cactus Grey
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Hi everyone...

Turning to the community for feedback on the best custom paint/paint protection for an off-road vehicle. I plan to get a First Edition 4-Door Bronco, and the color choices are fairly limited:

"The First Edition comes only in Rapid Red or Cyber Orange metallic, the dark-teal Area 51, or Cactus Gray."

I'm leaning towards Rapid Red or Area 51 with Xpel paint protection film and ceramic coat over top, but mainly because I have no experience with the concrete-ish looking kevlar paint products I've seen on wranglers in the past. I actually wanted black, initially, but I'm not going to be able to get a black color unless I repaint the whole thing using the kevlar stuff. So that's a factor...

But let's assume for sake of discussion that cost is not a factor, and that I'm looking for the best combination of (a) lasting protection against mud, sticks and brush, and (b) classy but rugged and unique expression and aesthetic. I'm curious if anyone here has any experience with either option (or knows someone who does) and what your/their thoughts are on either option.

Photos are certainly welcome here. Would appreciate any and all feedback.

To illustrate the choices I'm considering, see below:

4 Door in Rapid Red (Starting point):
Ford Bronco Xpel Stealth vs Kevlar Paint 1594759810061

Xpel Stealth paint protection wrap on a red Raptor:
Ford Bronco Xpel Stealth vs Kevlar Paint 1594760073663
Ford Bronco Xpel Stealth vs Kevlar Paint 1594760101725

Or a video, here:

Red Kevlar paint on a Wrangler:
Ford Bronco Xpel Stealth vs Kevlar Paint 1594759860324

Or a video here:
Sponsored

XPEL

First Edition
First Name
XPEL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hi everyone...

Turning to the community for feedback on the best custom paint/paint protection for an off-road vehicle. I plan to get a First Edition 4-Door Bronco, and the color choices are fairly limited:

"The First Edition comes only in Rapid Red or Cyber Orange metallic, the dark-teal Area 51, or Cactus Gray."

I'm leaning towards Rapid Red or Area 51 with Xpel paint protection film and ceramic coat over top, but mainly because I have no experience with the concrete-ish looking kevlar paint products I've seen on wranglers in the past. I actually wanted black, initially, but I'm not going to be able to get a black color unless I repaint the whole thing using the kevlar stuff. So that's a factor...

But let's assume for sake of discussion that cost is not a factor, and that I'm looking for the best combination of (a) lasting protection against mud, sticks and brush, and (b) classy but rugged and unique expression and aesthetic. I'm curious if anyone here has any experience with either option (or knows someone who does) and what your/their thoughts are on either option.

Photos are certainly welcome here. Would appreciate any and all feedback.

To illustrate the choices I'm considering, see below:

4 Door in Rapid Red (Starting point):

Xpel Stealth paint protection wrap on a red Raptor:

Or a video, here:
We may be just a little bias but we vote STEALTH PPF. The STEALTH on Area 51 paint will be a show stopper.

ManikMonday

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 G500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

We may be just a little bias but we vote STEALTH PPF. The STEALTH on Area 51 paint will be a show stopper.
For the first edition that looks like it is going to have custom vinyl/graphics how does this stuff get applied? Over the top?

OP
OP
fronc

fronc

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

What makes you say Area 51 over the red or even the cactus grey? Just wondering, as I was kinda thinking that the cooler colors seem to naturally look better in satin finish. The cactus grey seems to be the hardest for me to guess at.

@XPEL do you happen to have any photos of vehicles in similar colors using the stealth PPF so we can get some ideas?

Last edited:
OP
OP
fronc

fronc

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

For the first edition that looks like it is going to have custom vinyl/graphics how does this stuff get applied? Over the top?
From what I've seen, it gets applied over top, which creates a sort of "embossed" texture but would make the decal and body the same satin finish. Not sure if there's an alternative to cut it out, as that would expose seams.

I would think you could always apply a vinyl decal over top of the XPEL layer, too, if you wanted to tease out a different color or texture but maintain the First Edition branding, but I'm no expert on that.

Sponsored

XPEL

First Edition
First Name
XPEL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
What makes you say Area 51 over the red or even the cactus grey? Just wondering, as I was kinda thinking that the cooler colors seem to naturally look better in satin finish. The cactus grey seems to be the hardest for me to guess at.

@XPEL do you happen to have any photos of vehicles in similar colors using the stealth PPF so we can get some ideas?
Fronc,

After seeing a ton of STEALTH wraps, which to be fair, STEALTH makes any color look amazing. The way that STEALTH hugs all of the body lines and contours is really something special. I think that Area 51 is such a unique color that will really stand out even more in STEALTH. The Cactus Grey would be an excellent choice too as greys seem to show off STEALTH extremely well.

As our STEALTH gallery on the website is down right now, the best way to see a STEALTH gallery would be to search on Instagram for the hashtag #XPELSTEALTH. Click here to see that search result and you'll see a ton of cars with STEALTH on them.

Whichever color you decide to use, if you want to see what STEALTH looks like on that color, go to your local XPEL Installer and ask them to put a swatch on it so you can see if you like the look. The red will look good too, but you'll be amazed how great colors like Area 51 and Cactus Grey will pop once they're wrapped in STEALTH.

XPEL

First Edition
First Name
XPEL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Excellent question. For vinyl, you typically have 2 options.
1. Put the PPF over the top of the vinyl. This protects it as vinyl doesn't generally last a long time. This can add an air channel where the PPF steps from vinyl to paint. This line isn't really visible on lighter colors though. If you get a dark color and put the PPF over the vinyl, just know now that you may see a small air channel. Personally, I'd prefer a slight air channel and protected vinyl over option 2.

2. Pull the vinyl off, have PPF installed, then install new vinyl on top of the PPF. This will give you a clean look, but the vinyl won't be protected.

ManikMonday

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 G500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Excellent question. For vinyl, you typically have 2 options.
1. Put the PPF over the top of the vinyl. This protects it as vinyl doesn't generally last a long time. This can add an air channel where the PPF steps from vinyl to paint. This line isn't really visible on lighter colors though. If you get a dark color and put the PPF over the vinyl, just know now that you may see a small air channel. Personally, I'd prefer a slight air channel and protected vinyl over option 2.

2. Pull the vinyl off, have PPF installed, then install new vinyl on top of the PPF. This will give you a clean look, but the vinyl won't be protected.
Awesome to hear and thank for the detailed information!

Does doing it over the vinyl lead to the protectant being more susceptible to peeling faster? I imagine with an air channel (no direct adhesion contact) it adds a point of longer term failure?

XPEL

First Edition
First Name
XPEL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Awesome to hear and thank for the detailed information!

Does doing it over the vinyl lead to the protectant being more susceptible to peeling faster? I imagine with an air channel (no direct adhesion contact) it adds a point of longer term failure?
You're welcome, we're happy to help.

That's a good question and I can see where you're coming from but typically when we go over vinyl it's not on the edge of a body panel where peeling would be an issue. If the PPF stopped just after the vinyl and the edge wasn't wrapped around anything, then potentially I could see that but I've never personally seen that happen and it would be incredibly rare. I wouldn't worry.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
A few things to be aware of with wraps-

1) They don't last forever
2) They aren't cheap when done right ($2-5k for a full wrap)
3) Installer skill is very important.
4) How they install the wrap (do the remove headlights, trim, tailights) to get things right is important

I do plan on getting our FE wrapped. I can't say that it will be a stealth like product or not just yet...

Even with a good guy discount, I think tint and wrap is going to cost me a few thousand...

Sponsored

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

just get bedliner. that way you can get a cheap or free paint...

Indominus49er

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo, Honda
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I'm a fan of xpel stealth but it will cost probably 4-5k or more here at the shop I use in Vegas

OP
OP
fronc

fronc

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Yes, I was thinking 6k and upwards here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Not cheap at all, and is why I'm trying to gather as much information as possible.

I'm very very tempted to do some kind of Line-X/kevlar spray at roughly the same cost, which will guarantee me protection for the life of the vehicle. It's just very hard to decide.

XPEL

First Edition
First Name
XPEL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Yes, I was thinking 6k and upwards here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Not cheap at all, and is why I'm trying to gather as much information as possible.

I'm very very tempted to do some kind of Line-X/kevlar spray at roughly the same cost, which will guarantee me protection for the life of the vehicle. It's just very hard to decide.
Spray-on bed liner type stuff would also be cool. The only wrong answer here is getting no protection at all. #ProtectEverything.