Dirt Dog

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe we should be figuring out a way to get the spare on the back of the roof. How often do we change a tire ?

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey guys! I have a 21 Badlands Sasquatch and as many of you, I was not able to configure the bronco with a roof rack due to engine and SAS back in January 2021 when I ordered . It gets tiresome trying to fit 3-4 snowboards in the back and take two cars since I have to fold half the second row to make it work. (No truck in my life sadly) So I decided to look into a hitch mount cargo system in the meantime, in that search I came across the EXO system. Through trial and error, these are the parts I used while retaining the spare with enough clearance, I hope this helps some of you on the fence of buying the EXO or looking for options aside from a roof rack system.
This is how it turned out!
Draw tite trailer hitch 76527
Yakima straightshot 8002739
Yakima EXO swingbase 8002715
Topshelf 8002716
Snowbank 8002723
(Not pictured Gearlocker 8002718)

Hitch extender cuts the weight in half of the Draw Tite which comes out to 337 1/2 lbs, the entire system I plan to run weighs a total of 142lbs so in my scenario I have more than enough weight to play with.
2D576EA3-A23D-40A3-931C-8B1078C21753.jpeg
0AE308FC-0D37-4A54-A45B-A18BB045EAC3.jpeg
67339993-4BCD-45D5-96AF-569F44ADC5BD.jpeg
3D0D9FD9-D11D-4BA8-A527-1E1A1253C71B.jpeg
5C002DF8-A4BE-49D6-9E91-C317D1D74819.jpeg
Why does it stick out so far??
Yeah, these things give me the creeps šŸ¤·

OP
OP
Hazard

Hazard

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan 350z, Mitsubishi Lancer, Range Rover LR3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe we should be figuring out a way to get the spare on the back of the roof. How often do we change a tire ?
I believe zroadz had a half rack for the end of the hard top but i havenā€™t seen anyone with it and I donā€™t want to be the first to try it lol

OP
OP
Hazard

Hazard

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why does it stick out so far??
Yeah, these things give me the creeps šŸ¤·
Hitch extender, if I remove the spare then I can do the hitch and swingbase itā€™ll be a lot closer but I did not want to remove the spare. Donā€™t like the look without it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Hazard

Hazard

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For the curious. I removed the hitch extension and this is how it sits. If you do not care for the top shelf mount then this will work perfect with any size spare! My snowbank clears the tire and the gear warrior clears. It does have to be opened outward for the door to open however. Spare makes contact and doesnā€™t clear from it being so much closer

6959AB23-5F70-4DF9-8344-0118D4F3104F.jpeg

Quick

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Based on your pics, I picked up this setup over the weekend. However, Iā€™m running the factory hitch, so need an extender. I had the 7ā€ Yakima extender and that works but, as you said, canā€™t use the snowbank on the top shelf.

I have a 9ā€ and 12ā€ coming today to try out as well. Will post pics afterwards. Iā€™ve gone through a few ski setups, and I think this one is the most effective.

If only Ford would release the roof rack so I can use the rooftop box, thoughā€¦

Quick

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thought I would post some pics of a slightly different setup. OE Hitch with a 9" extension from Amazon. It fits perfectly with the spare, even with the ski rack setup which protrudes towards the tire.

Another option would have been to mount the skis on the bottom and the box on top with the shorter 7" extension, but I didn't want the skis in the path of the debris from the tires.

YakimaEXO - 1.jpeg

YakimaEXO - 2.jpeg

YakimaEXO - 3.jpeg

OP
OP
Hazard

Hazard

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thought I would post some pics of a slightly different setup. OE Hitch with a 9" extension from Amazon. It fits perfectly with the spare, even with the ski rack setup which protrudes towards the tire.

Another option would have been to mount the skis on the bottom and the box on top with the shorter 7" extension, but I didn't want the skis in the path of the debris from the tires.

YakimaEXO - 1.jpeg

YakimaEXO - 2.jpeg

YakimaEXO - 3.jpeg
I might have to do this, doesnā€™t stick out as much as mine. So you used the original hitch the bronco comes with and do you mind linking the Amazon extender you used?

Quick

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Sponsored
OP
OP
Hazard

Hazard

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Quick

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Happy when threads like this improve on what weā€™re all trying to do. I just ordered your setup, looks cleaner than minešŸ˜„
teamwork makes the dream work;)

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

thanks for the photos, I'm most likely going with this yakima setup too, I really like how modular it is. I won't need it for ski but for the occasional extra gear and bikes. Neither of which I'd want on the roof, even if there were a roof rack for my soft top. The idea of getting a bike or heavy gear up there is not appealing. Neither is that extra weight so high up, messing with the center of gravity. Rear mount, trailer or it stays home, nothing on top. Plus I want my open air and not look at a wind noisy box or other stuff up there.
I have a similar swing out bike carrier from an other brand on my Taco, works very well and I've had that for some 18 years or so.

Koz44

Outer Banks
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How do the skis fit in the top shelf - do they extend out past the bronco on either side?

OP
OP
Hazard

Hazard

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How do the skis fit in the top shelf - do they extend out past the bronco on either side?
I have only used it to carry snowboards. Iā€™ve mounted as low as 148cm and as high as 163cm. Without bindings they do not pass the body at all. With bindings it takes some adjusting and they extend a bit past the body width wise on one end depending on how theyā€™re held but less then the Sasquatch flare. Hope that kind of answers the question I donā€™t have pictures of those specific angles. Iā€™ll try and take some on my next outing
Sponsored