Sponsored

Yakima or Aftermarket Roof Rack? - Poll

Are you going with the Yakima, an after market, or waiting until later?

• Total voters

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll take your word for it.

Emailed them earlier to see their take. If I get any information I'll post it on this thread. Would rather go through them. I like their products.
The most difficult part will be getting the Backbone designed. All that reinforcement structure has to fit the contours, fittings, etc. of the underside of the cap. The cross bars and racks will be off the shelf most likely. We get CAD models from GM, Ford, Mopar all the time ahead of release to start our development, and usually have 3D printed parts ready but rarely finalize anything until we have an actual vehicle in house for test fitting.
Sponsored

Last edited:

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Zero chance that I will buy a roof rack that interferes with the open air feel at all. I will not have bars above my head when the roof is off.

OP
OP
NPBronco91

NPBronco91

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco - Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This one from KC Hilites looks interesting...

1602241259437.png
Thatā€™s neat. Are there more lights built into the siding of this rack or just the front end?

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Thatā€™s neat. Are there more lights built into the siding of this rack or just the front end?
It accepts lights all the way around...it's a pretty sweet setup. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to use all those Aux switches, lightbar or bumper mounted, rock lights, additional reverse lights etc.

Datoad

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Jeep LJ Rubicon, 17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Curious if most of you will go with the Yakima roof rack or an after market product. Trying to gage in on what potential roof racks are out there. I've read about and seen roof racks for Rhino Rack, ARB, and Front Runner. I understand it will be easier to go with the Yakima and it may take some time for the after market to develop roof racks for the Bronco, but still curious if something else may be out there. What are your thoughts and do you prefer a particular roof rack? Thanks for the help!
Iā€˜m thinking something like this.

AC7BCCCF-9549-4DF9-AE72-2ABEE574BEB8.jpeg

Sponsored

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The only thing I would be putting up there are kayaks. I'm hoping something will be developed where I can load them up while topless.

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™ve been in contact with GOBI and they plan to support the Bronco right away with a rack that lets you take the top off.
Ford Bronco Yakima or Aftermarket Roof Rack? - Poll 8EBB9261-F14D-4CF0-93A2-EB7AD05B5CA0

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

IF I get a rack, that's a big IF, I would want the rear only rack like this. I don't care for the front to back bars that attach to the windshield frame, and want to be able to take the 1st and 2nd row tops off and not have a rack above my head.
Ford Bronco Yakima or Aftermarket Roof Rack? - Poll jungle-jim-vega-jungle-pam-1973
Wonder if those are the optional Yakima cross bars

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Iā€™ve been in contact with GOBI and they plan to support the Bronco right away with a rack that lets you take the top off.
8EBB9261-F14D-4CF0-93A2-EB7AD05B5CA0.jpeg
Figured they would. I really don't care for the look of these too much but the more I think about it, for my use, it's likely the best option.

Sponsored

ILoveTacos

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

One of the main reasons we are buying a Bronco is to take it to the OBX every year and drive doorless / topless on the beach. We have a family of 4 (3 are females ?) who like to pack a lot of stuff. No way it would fit in the back- the Yakima rooftop carrier looks sufficient though. My though was to ride down with the hardtop on (with factory roof rack and Yakima carrier) and bring the Bimini top to switch out to once we arrive. The only other option would be one of the mentioned ā€œjungle gymā€ style racks plus the soft top. Wouldnā€™t this be a PIA to remove though? This has me thinking about maybe waiting on the modular top. But honestly as often as rain storms pop up , having a soft top you can easily put back up sounds like a nice option.

jboes13

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With the current numbers on load capacities, I am more apt to look for a roof rack that would be similar to the Filson build on a roof top tent. Something that has posts reaching past the A-piller to the corner of the hood/mirror. This to add better structural integrity. Even with the free labor on the factory rack, I am leaning more towards aftermarket

Trigger

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Silverado/2022 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think I am going to wait. I want some time with the Bronco with nothing to get in the way of roof removal or Bimini use. Once I get some experience, I'll figure out the roof rack system that will work. Planning to start with a hitch basket to haul gear.

ILoveTacos

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I like the idea of a hitch basket as well but then we canā€™t fit 4 bikes on the back. Short of getting a trailer I canā€™t figure out a solution for me apart from a rooftop carrier plus bike rack.

I think I am going to wait. I want some time with the Bronco with nothing to get in the way of roof removal or Bimini use. Once I get some experience, I'll figure out the roof rack system that will work. Planning to start with a hitch basket to haul gear.

Trigger

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Silverado/2022 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I like the idea of a hitch basket as well but then we canā€™t fit 4 bikes on the back. Short of getting a trailer I canā€™t figure out a solution for me apart from a rooftop carrier plus bike rack.
I don't have a bike concern right now. I need to haul gear to hunt (maybe a deer every so often) and hike so I think the basket works for now. At some point I will want to put my Yakima box on top but I think I have some time. Road trips will be in the wife's car. Eventually, this will be a tow behind an RV so I'll likely have lots of options by then. Although I am keeping my old pickup, I am also wondering about a light utility trailer.
Sponsored