Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I live 16 miles from Yellowstone Park.

No off road travel allowed inside the park boundaries. Outside the park boundary you have Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho. Huge amounts of federal land that you do pretty much whatever you want on.

The park itself is unbelievably awesome. If you have never been, you should. The surrounding area is just as awesome, even though it does not have the prestige, or protection, of the park.

Remember, leave no trace. I recognize that I am very fortunate to live here, and I do not mind sharing it with others. But I do get enraged when I see litter, trash, and destruction of natural resources.
I've considered cutting the break lines of those who throw cigarette butts out of their car windows... and I live in Detroit.
Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Having just done two road trips these past two years to Glacier National Park and Yellowstone, I would suggest Glacier National Park over Yellowstone if you're at all fit and able to leave the vehicle for getting into actual nature.

Yellowstone is wonderful by car and really it's a "drive through" park. Of course there are tons of places to hike and see and stay a while, but Yellowstone is more focused on driving somewhere to see something. Glacier has less roadways and incredible views, plus mind blowing hiking. Their Red Bus Tours are also worth looking into the history of them and why they are a wonderful way to learn more about the park from their guides as a "rest day" between hikes if you reached your maximum hike difficulty/distance the day before (plan ahead, bus tours book up well in advance of summer!)

Ford Bronco Yellowstone offers any off-roading? DSC00006.JPG

Picture taken along the upper Grinnell glacier trail. This ended up being the most beautiful hike we have ever been on. Yellowstone was unable to offer views and experiences to match. It was, however, a wonderful "car trip" and lovely.

http://www.hikinginglacier.com/grinnell-glacier.htm

View from the Red Bus on Going To The Sun road. The buses are phenomenal! (and powered by the old Ford v6's from their last generation)
Ford Bronco Yellowstone offers any off-roading? DSC00167.JPG

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hey OP I'll show you around Yellowstone and we'll quickly get the f out there and hit the good stuff around the Tetons. But since you are from the cherry capitol gonna need you to bring some dark chocolate covered cherries and a six pack Faygo rock n rye. My fam is from Detroit and Glen Arbor, and my company has an office in Jackson that I visit regularly then explore after my work is done.

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m on the east side of Yellowstone, no off-roading but I am near Morrison jeep trail which is pretty intense.
Lots of off road trails in the area and along chief Joseph highway.
I think Montana has a better Forest road network than Wyoming. Wyoming also has sooooo much wind.

Sponsored

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yellowstone is wonderful by car and really it's a "drive through" park. Of course there are tons of places to hike and see and stay a while, but Yellowstone is more focused on driving somewhere to see something.
IMHO you are wrong about this. Like really, really, really wrong.

Both parks are great. Both great by car. Both great by foot.

Next time you go to Yellowstone, get out of your car and start walking. It will blow your mind what’s out there.

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Next time you go to Yellowstone, get out of your car and start walking. It will blow your mind what’s out there.
I think he means that the park is so large you have to drive from attraction to attraction. But yes I agree the trails in Yellowstone are epic

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

I think he means that the park is so large you have to drive from attraction to attraction. But yes I agree the trails in Yellowstone are epic
The trails were nice (in Yellowstone). We covered about 45 miles over 7 days including a few nights of backpacking, that also included ~200 miles of driving in/around the park over those days.

They just didn't compare to the views and topography of Glacier. Glacier had about 50 miles of driving and 60 miles of hiking (no backpacking, was recovering from a spinal injury). To compare the two directly on the hiking component, is to say Glacier was much more enjoyable.

I live in the PNW, if walking through a forest to see trees nonstop was my thing, I can do that at lunch about 30' from the office. If, however, I lived somewhere that didn't already have 200' tall pine trees a-plenty and underbrush as far as you can see then Yellowstone hiking would be even better. As-is, it was mostly hiking through forests with pocket views of some plains. The geology of Yellowstone was superb, but that isn't the hiking component, you can drive to the main attractions in Yellowstone and it's perfectly handicap accessible. Glacier is dramatically less accessible. You must get out of your vehicle to experience anything other than the Going To The Sun road and some cabins.

WhiteMamba

First Edition
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco FE, 2015 F350 2010 Focus 1995 F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

lol go do the avalanche peak hike and tell me how accessible it is lol, Glacier was so much less developed and crowded at least east glacier is and I liked it more than Yellowstone

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I live in the PNW, if walking through a forest to see trees nonstop was my thing, I can do that at lunch about 30' from the office. If, however, I lived somewhere that didn't already have 200' tall pine trees a-plenty and underbrush as far as you can see then Yellowstone hiking would be even better. As-is, it was mostly hiking through forests with pocket views of some plains.
It’s too bad you chose hikes that were not to your liking in Yellowstone.

Plenty of hiking in Yellowstone that sound like exactly what you were were seeking.

example: it sounds like you enjoyed being up above treeline in Glacier Park with dramatic dropoffs in all directions. Then the Skyline Trail in the northwest corner of Yellowstone is a trail you would enjoy. High pucker factor as you walk along a knife edge ridge for miles.

another example: you mention not enjoying forested hikes with occasional glimpses of scenery. Then the Thorofare Trail in the southeast corner of Yellowstone is a place you should explore. Most remote spot in the continental United States with views for miles in every direction.

Not sure why we are talking hiking as the OP never mentioned it, OP also never brought up Glacier Park either, but as long as we are comparing Glacier vs Yellowstone, we should mention my favorite activity, fly fishing. In that comparison the winner is Yellowstone hands down. Place is absolute Nirvana if you fly fish.

OP: you will have fun out here. It’s awesome.

Sponsored

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This going a bit off subject, but a neighbor near us has one of these Mercedes rigs parked on the street and it looks cool as shit! I'd love to do some on-roading through the national parks in one of these.

Ford Bronco Yellowstone offers any off-roading? 052c913c24c56fdce2d9df088b3a130c

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yellowstone and Glacier, both on my bucket list. Along with many others.

Coloradonatives

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'69 Chevelle 2020 Chevy Traverse 2009 9-7x Aero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Being from Michigan my knowledge of Yellowstone is practically zerto take his 4rnnero - however, its a place I have always wanted to visit and camp at.

Is there any off-roading to be had there?
We live just down the road from Rocky Mountain National Park. A complete idiot decided to take his 4Runner off-road (in plain view) out into the pristine tundra at 11,000 ft. They caught him after he got back to the road, unfortunately, and fined him $25,000. Had they reached him while still off-road, they would have removed the truck with a Sky Crane, and made him pay for it. In National Parks that are designated wilderness areas stay on the damn road!!!

Last edited:

ManOfValor

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yellowstone NP only has one "dirt road" Blacktail Drive. It's not at all rough, I actually drove may smallish motorhome on it, it is one way. Nice scenery, usually Bison. The surrounding National Forests have plenty of 4x4 trails.
We love this drive. We just got back from Yellowstone. Saw a black bear down this 6-mile road.

Los

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Disco3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Was in Yellowstone June 2021 for 8 days, had s blast, but I wish I'd have had my Bronco WT, but it's coming very soon.
FYI. Follow the rules with the wild animals n you should be OK. 🐻
Sponsored