First Name
Das
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Raptor, '19 Lincoln Navigator, Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Took delivery 11/19 and started the half assed break-in period trying to get some easy miles on it before a long thanksgiving road trip. Immediately installed the Bestop Trektop, console vault in the armrest, and hood struts. Left for Thanksgiving road-trip with about 400 miles on it. Returned on Saturday with 1750 miles on it. Here are the nuts and bolts of driving a Sasqutach/Badlands/Lux/2.7 with 4.70 gearing.

Observations
  • Averaged 18.9 mpg since purchase using 91 octane. Half of the miles were at altitude and in the mountains (6000 ft.+)
  • Trektop is louder than the factory soft top at speeds below 60 mph. Above 60 the Trektop seems to handle the speed quieter. Totally fine to have conversations, listen to music, sports, or podcats at 80 mph and above.
  • Heated steering wheel seems plenty hot to me. I have had several cars with them and it is on par with all of the others. Could be a few degrees under our Yukon but those I have to turn off after a few minutes because they get too hot. The Broncos you can leave on and it is pleasant here in the mountains.
  • Very comfortable seats. Loved them on my 8 hr. drive home and I have a jacked up lower back that usually is sore for a day or two after a long road trip. The 2020 4Runner I traded in was awful in comparison and I had the top level trim on that.
  • Handled about the same or better than the 4Runner but so much better on road than my past Jeeps.
  • Travelled to Palm Springs and was able to take doors and top off. Easy and awesome! They are light and easily handled. Wouldn't hesitate to remove them just for a Sunday drive or something short. Takes all of five minutes both directions.
  • Easiest and best performing adaptive cruise control I have used (even in traffic).
  • Sound system was great even with a soft top.
  • 2.7 sounds great under acceleration and is far superior to anything Jeep offers at least in terms of power (392 obviously excluded). We will see about reliability going forward. I've driven the 2.3 and I can't imagine purchasing that after having the 2.7. My impression of the 2.3 with an automatic was that of a Nissan Sentra rental car. The 2.7 gets after it so much more it is hard to understand people buying the 2.3 unless they want a manual.
  • The 10 speed transmission is very smooth and efficient. So much so that I had to use manual mode to select proper rpm ranges during break-in. Otherwise speed didn't matter...always in the 2000-2300 rpm range at highway speeds (65 mph+).
  • Auto start/stop did not annoy me and is super easy to bypass anyhow.
  • Love the 12" infotainment screen but the driver instrument cluster is bad. Ford really needs to rethink this. Absolutely hated it at first but now I that I am used to it I can live with it, though still not happy with it. Why put the speedometer gauge taking up half the space when you have to have the fixed digital readout there also? As reviews have said it needs improvement.
  • Ran at 195-205 degrees almost all tehe time regardless of outside temperature. Going up a long steep grad it crept up to 226 for some time. Not sure if this is normal (seems a tad high compared to my other vehicles), but it cools down very fast when the grade eases up. Transmission never went above 210 but normally in the 200 range.
Problems and First Service
  • No warning lights or warnings on the infotainment system but the Ford Pass app sent me a warning. "Hill Start Assist Warning." "The Hill Start Assist System has detected a failure." "Please have the system checked by an authorized dealer." So that will need to be checked soon but it did not affect drivability in any way.
  • Changed oil after the road trip at 1763 miles. Got out almost exactly 7 qts. out and put same back in. Very easy DIY. Only four easy bolts to remove on the skid plate to get to the oil pan. In fact it takes about half the time as doing the same on my 4Runner or Tundras in the past (and that's never having done in before on the Bronco and not looking anything up).
In summary, it is as much fun to own as I was hoping for and I haven't even been able to off-road it yet. People will follow you and come take pictures and ask questions. Jeep owners are all green with jealousy when you smoothly pass them up mountain passes while they whine away at redline. If I was ordering it all over again I'd spec it the same if I had the $$$. After having driven both engines I'd 100% go 2.7 unless I had to have the manual transmission. Also, be aware it will immediately become the most popular car between you, your spouse, and your teenager when someone leaves the house.

IMG_9933.jpg

IMG_9931.jpg
Nice write up. Are you interested in selling the factory soft top?
Sponsored

Moosie

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 edge st. 2015 corvette z51
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

M
Took delivery 11/19 and started the half assed break-in period trying to get some easy miles on it before a long thanksgiving road trip. Immediately installed the Bestop Trektop, console vault in the armrest, and hood struts. Left for Thanksgiving road-trip with about 400 miles on it. Returned on Saturday with 1750 miles on it. Here are the nuts and bolts of driving a Sasqutach/Badlands/Lux/2.7 with 4.70 gearing.

Observations
  • Averaged 18.9 mpg since purchase using 91 octane. Half of the miles were at altitude and in the mountains (6000 ft.+)
  • Trektop is louder than the factory soft top at speeds below 60 mph. Above 60 the Trektop seems to handle the speed quieter. Totally fine to have conversations, listen to music, sports, or podcats at 80 mph and above.
  • Heated steering wheel seems plenty hot to me. I have had several cars with them and it is on par with all of the others. Could be a few degrees under our Yukon but those I have to turn off after a few minutes because they get too hot. The Broncos you can leave on and it is pleasant here in the mountains.
  • Very comfortable seats. Loved them on my 8 hr. drive home and I have a jacked up lower back that usually is sore for a day or two after a long road trip. The 2020 4Runner I traded in was awful in comparison and I had the top level trim on that.
  • Handled about the same or better than the 4Runner but so much better on road than my past Jeeps.
  • Travelled to Palm Springs and was able to take doors and top off. Easy and awesome! They are light and easily handled. Wouldn't hesitate to remove them just for a Sunday drive or something short. Takes all of five minutes both directions.
  • Easiest and best performing adaptive cruise control I have used (even in traffic).
  • 2.7 sounds great under acceleration and is far superior to anything Jeep offers at least in terms of power (392 obviously excluded). We will see about reliability going forward. I've driven the 2.3 and I can't imagine purchasing that after having the 2.7. My impression of the 2.3 with an automatic was that of a Nissan Sentra rental car. The 2.7 gets after it so much more it is hard to understand people buying the 2.3 unless they want a manual.
  • The 10 speed transmission is very smooth and efficient. So much so that I had to use manual mode to select proper rpm ranges during break-in. Otherwise speed didn't matter...always in the 2000-2300 rpm range at highway speeds (65 mph+).
  • Love the 12" infotainment screen but the driver instrument cluster is bad. Ford really needs to rethink this. Absolutely hated it at first but now I that I am used to it I can live with it, though still not happy with it. Why put the speedometer gauge taking up half the space when you have to have the fixed digital readout there also? As reviews have said it needs improvement.
  • Ran at 195-205 degrees almost all tehe time regardless of outside temperature. Going up a long steep grad it crept up to 226 for some time. Not sure if this is normal (seems a tad high compared to my other vehicles), but it cools down very fast when the grade eases up. Transmission never went above 210 but normally in the 200 range.
  • No warning lights or warnings on the infotainment system but the Ford Pass app sent me a warning. "Hill Start Assist Warning." "The Hill Start Assist System has detected a failure." "Please have the system checked by an authorized dealer." So that will need to be checked soon but it did not affect drivability in any way.
  • Changed oil after the road trip at 1763 miles. Got out almost exactly 7 qts. out and put same back in. Very easy DIY. Only four easy bolts to remove on the skid plate to get to the oil pan. In fact it takes about half the time as doing the same on my 4Runner or Tundras in the past (and that's never having done in before on the Bronco and not looking anything up).
In summary, it is as much fun to own as I was hoping for and I haven't even been able to off-road it yet. People will follow you and come take pictures and ask questions. Jeep owners are all green with jealousy when you smoothly pass them up mountain passes while they whine away at redline. If I was ordering it all over again I'd spec it the same if I had the $$$. After having driven both engines I'd 100% go 2.7 unless I had to have the manual transmission. Also, be aware it will immediately become the most popular car between you, your spouse, and your teenager when someone leaves the house.

IMG_9933.jpg

IMG_9931.jpg

How did you feel about the oil filter and oring change. The plastic turn screw on the oil pan. Just wondering.

cbrum23

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Dodge Ram 1500, 1974 Ford F100
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Observations

IMG_9933.jpg

IMG_9931.jpg
Thanks for the write up, I have the exact build except the lux, I went high package. I have the trektop in my garage awaiting my bronco which should arrive any day now. I love the look of the fastback, but I do wish it folded all the way back like the factory soft top. Question, is it difficult to remove trektop completely for full open air?

Mrpenn46

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands - Cactus Gray
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Observations
  • Averaged 18.9 mpg since purchase using 91 octane. Half of the miles were at altitude and in the mountains (6000 ft.+

How are you getting such good MPG, I have nearly an identical badlands, differences are hard top and non-sas.

I've been getting a calculated MPG of 16-17, trip odo will say 17+ but actually calculating the MPG shows 16-17. On average I'd say the dash claims 1-1.5mpg better than actual. I have ≈1200 miles on my rig. (I use trip 1 to track each tank and trip 2 to track each oil change. At each fill up I divide trip 1 miles by gallons filled to get trip MPG for each tank)

The YETI

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F150 Crew
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I wish I still only had 1,000 miles on mine. I can’t stop driving the damn thing all over the planet. 😁
I will be (hopefully) picking mine up in February 2022 in Muskegon, MI and driving it down to Roswell, NM. That's a quick 1300-1400 miles and hopefully tons of fun!

Sponsored

Parker

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gr Che Overland, Corvette, Tahoe, 46 Chevy 2ton
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford please just let us order the good soft top from the factory.

BodieMonster

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Appreciate the post as this is the exact build I have on order - just need Ford to build it! Keep us posted on the hill assist issue.

Last edited:

ManOfValor

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks for the post! I‘m hoping to receive my 2.7L BaseSquatch next week. I test drove a 2.3L Badlands last week, from the same dealer…and I was not impressed at all. You hit the nail on the head with the “Nissan Sentra” reference. It’s encouraging to read posts like yours regarding the 2.7L. I’m glad I went that route!

KrazeeEyezKilla

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I had the same issue although mine did show a quick warning on the instrument cluster. Dealer said see if it happens again…and then yesterday I got a flurry of 3 or 4 warnings on the cluster (nothing in the app) but they all cleared. Dealer thinks “it’s all the modules learning to talk to each other.” There are a few threads where people have had similar warnings, no common theme that I can see. Could be “computers”, could be a loose ABS sensor or ground wire. I don’t know. If you do bring it in I’m curious to hear what you learn.

omega145

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Recon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Very comfortable seats.
  • 2.7 sounds great under acceleration and is far superior to anything Jeep offers at least in terms of power (392 obviously excluded).
  • The 10 speed transmission is very smooth and efficient.
Your Bronco looks fantastic and i'm glad you are enjoying it as much as you are. A few questions here:
What type of seats do you have? Vinyl or leather?
"Better on road than my past Jeeps" - have you owned a JL Wrangler?
Since it's the Lux package, i'd assume you have the upgraded sound system. Have you heard the stock non-upgraded stereo in the Bronco?
"far superior to anything Jeep offers at least in terms of power" - have you driven the 2.0T? Its pretty quick and I believe this has achieved better 0-60 times than the Bronco 2.7TT.
Have you driven the 8 speed ZF in the Wrangler? The best and smoothest auto transmissions i've ever used. Wondering how it compares to the 10 speed in the Bronco.

Sponsored

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One of the guys I ski with has a 4Runner. He has just over 450k miles on it. Has had very little issues with it and is looking at getting another one. Yeah the Toyota is an old tool in the shed that is reliable. But it sure needs an update. Maybe they will reintroduce the FJ.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Raptor pick up comes with good struts. Why they aren’t on the Bronco is beyond me.

broncoGIRL21

Big Bend
First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Observations

IMG_9933.jpg

IMG_9931.jpg
Thanks for the update! You said it was quick and easy to take the doors on and off. I feel like most people post about the difficulty of doing it. I'd love it if you would post a video or put together a quick 'How To'. One of the reasons I was excited about the Bronco is because it is supposed to be so much easier than the Jeep, but I feel like I'm not seeing that reflected in people's posts.

Etienne

Badlands
First Name
Etienne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'75/'89 Chevy K5 Blazer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Love that slopped soft top and what a great road trip observation report out.

Had a similar solid experience with my 2.7 BL Sasquatch on a 2,900 cross country trip... 👌

Chelada

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. Appreciate the details. I also appreciate how it made me excited to get mine again early next year. Been seeing/reading a LOT of threads on problems lately and this was refreshing and very needed.
Exactly this! I keep perusing other vehicles and daydreaming in the meantime but it's posts like this that keep me focused on the prize. Mine is still in "order processing" so I'm still a ways away from this becoming reality. Congrats OP on the great ride and appreciate the detailed post.
Sponsored