First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Took delivery 11/19 and started the half assed break-in period trying to get some easy miles on it before a long thanksgiving road trip. Immediately installed the Bestop Trektop, console vault in the armrest, and hood struts. Left for Thanksgiving road-trip with about 400 miles on it. Returned on Saturday with 1750 miles on it. Here are the nuts and bolts of driving a Sasqutach/Badlands/Lux/2.7 with 4.70 gearing.

Observations
  • Averaged 18.9 mpg since purchase using 91 octane. Half of the miles were at altitude and in the mountains (6000 ft.+)
  • Trektop is louder than the factory soft top at speeds below 60 mph. Above 60 the Trektop seems to handle the speed quieter. Totally fine to have conversations, listen to music, sports, or podcats at 80 mph and above.
  • Heated steering wheel seems plenty hot to me. I have had several cars with them and it is on par with all of the others. Could be a few degrees under our Yukon but those I have to turn off after a few minutes because they get too hot. The Broncos you can leave on and it is pleasant here in the mountains.
  • Very comfortable seats. Loved them on my 8 hr. drive home and I have a jacked up lower back that usually is sore for a day or two after a long road trip. The 2020 4Runner I traded in was awful in comparison and I had the top level trim on that.
  • Handled about the same or better than the 4Runner but so much better on road than my past Jeeps.
  • Travelled to Palm Springs and was able to take doors and top off. Easy and awesome! They are light and easily handled. Wouldn't hesitate to remove them just for a Sunday drive or something short. Takes all of five minutes both directions.
  • Easiest and best performing adaptive cruise control I have used (even in traffic).
  • Sound system was great even with a soft top.
  • 2.7 sounds great under acceleration and is far superior to anything Jeep offers at least in terms of power (392 obviously excluded). We will see about reliability going forward. I've driven the 2.3 and I can't imagine purchasing that after having the 2.7. My impression of the 2.3 with an automatic was that of a Nissan Sentra rental car. The 2.7 gets after it so much more it is hard to understand people buying the 2.3 unless they want a manual.
  • The 10 speed transmission is very smooth and efficient. So much so that I had to use manual mode to select proper rpm ranges during break-in. Otherwise speed didn't matter...always in the 2000-2300 rpm range at highway speeds (65 mph+).
  • Auto start/stop did not annoy me and is super easy to bypass anyhow.
  • Love the 12" infotainment screen but the driver instrument cluster is bad. Ford really needs to rethink this. Absolutely hated it at first but now I that I am used to it I can live with it, though still not happy with it. Why put the speedometer gauge taking up half the space when you have to have the fixed digital readout there also? As reviews have said it needs improvement.
  • Ran at 195-205 degrees almost all tehe time regardless of outside temperature. Going up a long steep grad it crept up to 226 for some time. Not sure if this is normal (seems a tad high compared to my other vehicles), but it cools down very fast when the grade eases up. Transmission never went above 210 but normally in the 200 range.
Problems and First Service
  • No warning lights or warnings on the infotainment system but the Ford Pass app sent me a warning. "Hill Start Assist Warning." "The Hill Start Assist System has detected a failure." "Please have the system checked by an authorized dealer." So that will need to be checked soon but it did not affect drivability in any way.
  • Changed oil after the road trip at 1763 miles. Got out almost exactly 7 qts. out and put same back in. Very easy DIY. Only four easy bolts to remove on the skid plate to get to the oil pan. In fact it takes about half the time as doing the same on my 4Runner or Tundras in the past (and that's never having done in before on the Bronco and not looking anything up).
In summary, it is as much fun to own as I was hoping for and I haven't even been able to off-road it yet. People will follow you and come take pictures and ask questions. Jeep owners are all green with jealousy when you smoothly pass them up mountain passes while they whine away at redline. If I was ordering it all over again I'd spec it the same if I had the $$$. After having driven both engines I'd 100% go 2.7 unless I had to have the manual transmission. Also, be aware it will immediately become the most popular car between you, your spouse, and your teenager when someone leaves the house.

IMG_9933.jpg

IMG_9931.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

WildTrak

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Took delivery 11/19 and started the half assed break-in period trying to get some easy miles on it before a long thanksgiving road trip. Immediately installed the Bestop Trektop, console vault in the armrest, and hood struts. Left for Thanksgiving road-trip with about 400 miles on it. Returned on Saturday with 1750 miles on it. Here are the nuts and bolts of driving a Sasqutach/Badlands/Lux/2.7 with 4.70 gearing.

Observations
  • Averaged 18.9 mpg since purchase using 91 octane. Half of the miles were at altitude and in the mountains (6000 ft.+)
  • Trektop is louder than the factory soft top at speeds below 60 mph. Above 60 the Trektop seems to handle the speed quieter. Totally fine to have conversations, listen to music, sports, or podcats at 80 mph and above.
  • Heated steering wheel seems plenty hot to me. I have had several cars with them and it is on par with all of the others. Could be a few degrees under our Yukon but those I have to turn off after a few minutes because they get too hot. The Broncos you can leave on and it is pleasant here in the mountains.
  • Very comfortable seats. Loved them on my 8 hr. drive home and I have a jacked up lower back that usually is sore for a day or two after a long road trip. The 2020 4Runner I traded in was awful in comparison and I had the top level trim on that.
  • Handled about the same or better than the 4Runner but so much better on road than my past Jeeps.
  • Travelled to Palm Springs and was able to take doors and top off. Easy and awesome! They are light and easily handled. Wouldn't hesitate to remove them just for a Sunday drive or something short. Takes all of five minutes both directions.
  • Easiest and best performing adaptive cruise control I have used (even in traffic).
  • 2.7 sounds great under acceleration and is far superior to anything Jeep offers at least in terms of power (392 obviously excluded). We will see about reliability going forward. I've driven the 2.3 and I can't imagine purchasing that after having the 2.7. My impression of the 2.3 with an automatic was that of a Nissan Sentra rental car. The 2.7 gets after it so much more it is hard to understand people buying the 2.3 unless they want a manual.
  • The 10 speed transmission is very smooth and efficient. So much so that I had to use manual mode to select proper rpm ranges during break-in. Otherwise speed didn't matter...always in the 2000-2300 rpm range at highway speeds (65 mph+).
  • No warning lights or warnings on the infotainment system but the Ford Pass app sent me a warning. "Hill Start Assist Warning." "The Hill Start Assist System has detected a failure." "Please have the system checked by an authorized dealer." So that will need to be checked soon but it did not affect drivability in any way.
  • Changed oil after the road trip at 1763 miles. Got out almost exactly 7 qts. out and put same back in. Very easy DIY. Only four easy bolts to remove on the skid plate to get to the oil pan. In fact it takes about half the time as doing the same on my 4Runner or Tundras in the past (and that's never having done in before on the Bronco and not looking anything up).
In summary, it is as much fun to own as I was hoping for and I haven't even been able to off-road it yet. People will follow you and come take pictures and ask questions. Jeep owners are all green with jealousy when you smoothly pass them up mountain passes while they whine away at redline. If I was ordering it all over again I'd spec it the same if I had the $$$. After having driven both engines I'd 100% go 2.7 unless I had to have the manual transmission. Also, be aware it will immediately become the most popular car between you, your spouse, and your teenager when someone leaves the house.
Thanks for taking the time to write this up. Appreciate the details. I also appreciate how it made me excited to get mine again early next year. Been seeing/reading a LOT of threads on problems lately and this was refreshing and very needed.

SoCalDawg

Wildtrak
First Name
TC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX 460
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thank you for sharing this. Please keep us updated. Can you share a bit more why you like Bronco interior over 4Runner? I agree that 4Runner seats arenā€™t comfortable for long drives if tall. I felt like the seat under by butt/legs was too short. I also didnā€™t like the Softex material. Iā€™ve read/watched videos and am concerned about the plastics in interior. I need to go see one. Your perspective on the Bronco vs T4R is helpful.

OP
OP
pakrat

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you for sharing this. Please keep us updated. Can you share a bit more why you like Bronco interior over 4Runner? I agree that 4Runner seats arenā€™t comfortable for long drives if tall. I felt like the seat under by butt/legs was too short. I also didnā€™t like the Softex material. Iā€™ve read/watched videos and am concerned about the plastics in interior. I need to go see one. Your perspective on the Bronco vs T4R is helpful.
When I test drove the 4runner the interior was fine. But after extended driving (anything over an hour) It was just uncomfortable. Hard to pin point what was wrong but the ergonomics are just off, at least for me. I'm 6'3" btw. My Tundra was fine though not great and in the 4Runner and Tundra I was also trying to find an aftermarket lumbar support to help. Either way always stiff and sore after longer drives. The Bronco was absolute heaven in comparison. More plush for sure and I was not squirming around constantly trying to get comfortable. I did 8.5 hrs. on the way home from Thanksgiving on Saturday and only stopped and stretched once for fuel and restroom break. I felt fine afterwards and barely had to shift in the seat at all. This is a very common complaint regarding the 4Runner.

The only places where I find the plastics in the Bronco interior lacking are in areas like the footwell panels and the side panels in the cargo area. They seem to scuff rather easily. Maybe the plastic dash panel directly above the glove box where it says Bronco seems a little cheap but that is being picky. I like the knobs, signals, steering wheel buttons, aux switches, and sway bar/diff buttons alot. In fact the entire interior experience is more intuitive and easier to navigate through menus than the 4Runner. Same with my 2016 Tundra. Both Toyotas just need updated interiors. I had a TRD Off Road Premium. Every option available except the TRD Pro level sound system.

Really my biggest gripe about the 4Runner and why I traded it in (which btw I got more than I paid for and a $4k tax credit against my Broncos sales tax here in Nevada) is that it just wasn't fun to drive. So Vanilla and it lacked power. The 5 speed transmission was bombproof but so limited in range it makes almost everyone install one of those Pedal Commanders to give it a little pep. Bronco is way more powerful and gets better mileage (even with 35's and the Sasquatch package).

Hope this explains a little bit. The Bronco is proving to be a fun, comfortable, and capable vehicle that you can change it's personality in minutes whether taking off the top or removing the doors or whatever.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

nice write up and I agree with your observations. I just crosse the 1k mile mark a couple days ago, took it out to the coast on Sat, fast and steady on the freeway (and easy to NOT notice that I'm going above 80MpH, gotta pay some attention there!) and then just wonderful with open roof along the coast.

The interior is rather perfect for me, I don't care about fancy wood or leather on the dash, would not notice any of that after a day anyways. The layout of everything is perfect, it has buttons and dials for things I want buttons and dials for (volume, temp control, etc) and not have to dig through menus. Infotainment is intuitive and easy to use, love the big screen, there's really nothing I'd want to change, at least nothing I'd have found so far.

My mileage is only 15.3 on average though, a bit disappointing, but most of my daily driving is something like 3 or 4 miles taking my kid and her friend to school or going to the grocery store. Though it didn't change much on our trip along the coast, but I also didn't reset the trip counter.

The power of the 2.7 is pretty amazing, coming from an 18 year old Taco. Plenty passing power, even at 80+ and gets going on an on ramp like a champ. Would not need or want more, but would not want less.

Our international travel plans over xmas seem to not be possible with Covid, so maybe I'll get to go offroad a bit around Palm Springs then instead, as we'd head down there instead. A couple dirt roads is pretty much all that's around here.

Sponsored
OP
OP
pakrat

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
nice write up and I agree with your observations. I just crosse the 1k mile mark a couple days ago, took it out to the coast on Sat, fast and steady on the freeway (and easy to NOT notice that I'm going above 80MpH, gotta pay some attention there!) and then just wonderful with open roof along the coast.

The interior is rather perfect for me, I don't care about fancy wood or leather on the dash, would not notice any of that after a day anyways. The layout of everything is perfect, it has buttons and dials for things I want buttons and dials for (volume, temp control, etc) and not have to dig through menus. Infotainment is intuitive and easy to use, love the big screen, there's really nothing I'd want to change, at least nothing I'd have found so far.

My mileage is only 15.3 on average though, a bit disappointing, but most of my daily driving is something like 3 or 4 miles taking my kid and her friend to school or going to the grocery store. Though it didn't change much on our trip along the coast, but I also didn't reset the trip counter.

The power of the 2.7 is pretty amazing, coming from an 18 year old Taco. Plenty passing power, even at 80+ and gets going on an on ramp like a champ. Would not need or want more, but would not want less.

Our international travel plans over xmas seem to not be possible with Covid, so maybe I'll get to go offroad a bit around Palm Springs then instead, as we'd head down there instead. A couple dirt roads is pretty much all that's around here.
Walnut Creek?

Yeah I'm surprised by how "throaty" it sounds under acceleration. Nice to hear those deep notes as you give it the beans.

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I wish I still only had 1,000 miles on mine. I canā€™t stop driving the damn thing all over the planet. šŸ˜

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wish I still only had 1,000 miles on mine. I canā€™t stop driving the damn thing all over the planet. šŸ˜
haha, I wish I had 10k miles on it already! Ran all the small rural roads around my immediate area, not enough time to run to the further away ones, but several routes are planned. Fun to avoid the freeway where ever possible :)

Sponsored

bgcfman

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Honda Accord, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Observations
  • Love the 12" infotainment screen but the driver instrument cluster is bad. Ford really needs to rethink this. Absolutely hated it at first but now I that I am used to it I can live with it, though still not happy with it. Why put the speedometer gauge taking up half the space when you have to have the fixed digital readout there also? As reviews have said it needs improvement.
  • Ran at 195-205 degrees almost all tehe time regardless of outside temperature. Going up a long steep grad it crept up to 226 for some time. Not sure if this is normal (seems a tad high compared to my other vehicles), but it cools down very fast when the grade eases up. Transmission never went above 210 but normally in the 200 range.

Ford Bronco Yes, another first weeks (1000+ mile) ownership impressions, stats, and issues. IMG_9931

Ford Bronco Yes, another first weeks (1000+ mile) ownership impressions, stats, and issues. IMG_9931
I got the same hill decent warning today on my Badlands. Interesting.

Bronco Don

Black Diamond
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Observations

Thatā€™s funny I had mine in Pismo beach over the weekend in the sand in my hill assist warning came onto through Ford app as well, but I have no lights on the dash I donā€™t think I need it anyways
Sponsored