jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Having never owned a big truck before, I test drove these back to back. 1. To get a feel for general ride height, and 2. To test out 35” C rated tires (granted they were ko2 on the Raptor).

The F150 was a 60k optioned out Lariat. The Raptor was an 2018 with less than 9k miles.

the F150 is 79.9” wide and the added width of sas is 79.3”. Granted the F150 obviously has a much wider cabin. In terms of placing the F150 in the lane it was a bit cumbersome at first but I got used to it quickly. Overall I thought the Raptor was WAY easier to drive even with the added width. The F150 felt like it had a higher center of gravity. The steering was obviously looser and it felt like you could kick out the back end. It didn’t feel planted. It was actually my back up plan if my bronco was very delayed.

the raptor, for such a big truck, really shrunk around you. It felt very planted. I couldn’t hear a peep from the tires. They absorbed everything. I could NOT believe how much more nimble, less cumbersome, and less stiff I was imagining it to be. I felt invincible like I could ride over anything. Maybe the added weight of the tires and suspension made it feel more planted?

With tape measure in hand I compared the door sill height and seat height. Without being too precise (since I was so giddy and satisfied) the step in height on the Sasquatch appears to be about the same, maybe 1” lower than the raptor. And the seat height from the ground maybe 2” lower. This was also a test for my wife (who is 5-2 and can’t drive big cars). With the side steps she was fine. If I had to install car seats for the kids - no problem. It would be around mid chest height and doable. She agreed that the raptor was way easier to drive and liked the planted-ness and bigger tires. She had a more difficult time driving the F150 as well. Strange. She also liked towering over everyone. 7 seaters SUVs felt like mini coopers.

Either way, it was a very successful test. And I like the fact that the Sasquatch is significantly narrower than the raptor and should be easier to place. Having a ride height slightly lower as well is a plus. I walked away thinking wow, if a loaded 4 dr Bronco Sasquatch with all the features is anywhere close to a Raptor feel, and it easier to drive due to size/width, for under 60k, that’s a steal....And you wonder why so many want a 2.7 and Sasquatch....

so Sasquatch it is. Hope the delays aren’t too bad (or hopefully non existent).
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Having never owned a big truck before, I test drove these back to back. 1. To get a feel for general ride height, and 2. To test out 35” C rated tires (granted they were ko2 on the Raptor).

The F150 was a 60k optioned out Lariat. The Raptor was an 2018 with less than 9k miles.

the F150 is 79.9” wide and the added width of sas is 79.3”. Granted the F150 obviously has a much wider cabin. In terms of placing the F150 in the lane it was a bit cumbersome at first but I got used to it quickly. Overall I thought the Raptor was WAY easier to drive even with the added width. The F150 felt like it had a higher center of gravity. The steering was obviously looser and it felt like you could kick out the back end. It didn’t feel planted. It was actually my back up plan if my bronco was very delayed.

the raptor, for such a big car, really shrunk around you. It felt very planted. I couldn’t here a peep from the tires. They absorbed everything. I could NOT believe how much more nimble, less cumbersome, and less stiff I was imagining it to be. I felt invincible like I could ride over anything. Maybe the added weight of the tires and suspension made it feel more planted?

With tape measure in hand I compared the door sill height and seat height. Without being too precise (since I was so giddy and satisfied) the step in height on the Sasquatch appears to be about the same, maybe 1” lower than the raptor. And the seat height from the ground maybe 2” lower. This was also a test for my wife (who is 5-2 and can’t drive big cars). With the side steps she was fine. If I had to install car seats for the kids - no problem. It would be around mid chest height and doable. She agreed that the raptor was way easier to drive and liked the planted-ness and bigger tires. She had a more difficult time driving the F150 as well. Strange. She also liked towering over everyone. 7 seaters SUVs felt like mini coopers.

Either way, it was a very successful test. And I like the fact that the Sasquatch is significantly narrower than the raptor and should be easier to place. Having a ride height slightly lower as well is a plus. I walked away thinking wow, if a loaded Bronco Sasquatch with all the features is anywhere close to a Raptor feel, and it easier to drive due to size/width, for under 60k, that’s a steal....And you wonder why so many want a 2.7 and Sasquatch....

so Sasquatch it is. Hope the delays aren’t too bad (or hopefully non existent).
Not sure Sasquatch is going to give you a comparable feel to the Raptor. You may need to wait for the Warthog.

Rebel Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco 7spd Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Your post was very timely for me. I’m ordering a Black Diamond and I’m re-visiting the ‘Squatch. Here’s why:
-I’m already in the MY ‘22 group with a Grang-tober reservation.
-Already planning to replace the factory wheels and tires. By my math, which takes invoice pricing into account, the added cost to Squatch would only be about $2070.
Is this a good value for axle, gearing, suspension and front lockers from the factory?
I was figuring on getting true 33” tires, which could possibly be 33.7”. Sasquatch tires are reportedly 34.4”. Sasquatch would have a calibrated speedometer, so there is that, too.
Yes, this is my next daily driver. 20 minute commute, no interstate.
I’m semi-retired; I have summers off to do outdoorsy things.

I’m interested in the opinions and comments from the off-road hive mind that has gathered here.

Go Bills!
Ford Bronco Yes on Sasquatch - Test drove the 2021 F150 and a slightly used Raptor 1610916118373

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not sure Sasquatch is going to give you a comparable feel to the Raptor. You may need to wait for the Warthog.
It won’t. it’s still quite a different truck.

But bronco being a smaller truck, 400 lb torque and 35” C rated tires with slight lift and billstein shocks....the raptor was a fairly good test to at least make sure that if I could handle the raptor size/tires etc, I could handle a sasquatched 4 door bronco. So in that regard, it was a helpful and successful test.

Last edited:

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base

But bronco being a smaller truck, 400 lb torque and 35” C rated tires with slight lift and billstein shocks....the raptor was a fairly good test to at least make sure that if I could handle the raptor size/tires etc, I could handle a sasquatched 4 door bronco. So in that regard, it was a helpful and successful test.
I'm far from a Raptor expert, but I think the comfort and stability you discussed was in large part due to the suspension, travel and generally beefier everything than will be on Sasquatch. I would guess Squatch will feel light years from a Raptor.

Sponsored

BigSki150

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Your post was very timely for me. I’m ordering a Black Diamond and I’m re-visiting the ‘Squatch. Here’s why:
-Already planning to replace the factory wheels and tires. By my math, which takes invoice pricing into account, the added cost to Squatch would only be about $2070.
Is this a good value for axle, gearing, suspension and front lockers from the factory?
I was figuring on getting true 33” tires, which could possibly be 33.7”. Sasquatch tires are reportedly 34.4”. Sasquatch would have a calibrated speedometer, so there is that, too.

I’m interested in the opinions and comments from the off-road hive mind that has gathered here.

Go Bills!
Ford Bronco Yes on Sasquatch - Test drove the 2021 F150 and a slightly used Raptor 1610916118373
Let's go Buffalo! I Billieve!

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Go Bills!
1610916118373.jpeg
Yeah. To me, at least in OBX -
795 for gearing
795 for auto 4x4
1400 for tires (E load on 18s)
...then if I get 17s for C load tire options or a slight lift, then boom, I’m in sas territory price wise. And you know it won’t Be as good of a ride since it’s not from the factory.

PLUS warranty/resale/exclusivity.

I have a day 1 reservation and made the dealer cut off. So to me, all signs lead to Sasquatch. If it comes within a minor delay (1 or 2 month) it’s still worth it. Longer delays than that and I would start to reconsider.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Isn't the difference between a regular F-150 and a F-150 (Raptor) all in the suspension and how it's tuned?

In general, the F-150 is a work truck and drives like one being light out back and meant to be driven slowly.

A Raptor version is sort of sport or performance (off road) tuned all the way around. I'd honestly have thought the Raptor would ride higher than an F-150 due to the suspension lift.

For Bronco if a Badlands or Squatch, I expect it to sit high for improved break over. However, the shorter wheelbase and wide stance should make it very stable, but the MT tires will likely not feel the best on the highway at speeds above 70mph.

All in all I'd expect a Raptor to feel damn near perfect for a truck on road, off road, wherever. I'm a fan even though I'm not a pickup guy. :LOL:

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

As a Raptor owner, the ride comfort is in the suspension, tires, and wheelbase. The Raptor suspension is much softer than the standard F150. The Ride height between a standard F150 and Raptor is minimal. The secret to the Raptor suspension is in the droop, not the up travel. The tall sidewall of the 315-70-17 tires help both with comfort as well as some road noise. The long wheelbase of the Supercrew (145") also helps with comfort. Comparing the ride quality and handling to any of the Bronco configurations is totally apples and oranges.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My two cents after driving Jeeps and having multiple lifted trucks, trucks and Jeeps on 35's are nothing alike in drive, handling or anything else. Don't know that I'd use a F150 of any sort as a deciding figure on purchasing SAS or not.

Sponsored

Deleted member 3063

I've got 10yrs experience in a 1st gen Super Cab Raptor and agree with the OPs assessment, that it shrinks around you. I regularly park in a crowded hospital garage. Hands down the most comfortable car or truck I've owned in my rather long life. Passengers still comment how nice it rides. When I get frisky, passengers reach and grab for support and then grin when they don't need it. Handling is amazing for it's size, slicing and dicing in heavy freeway trafic is second nature.

You can credit the tires, specially spec'd by Ford, shocks specially spec'd by Ford and you could go on.

What people need to understand is, Ford knows how to build off road trucks and now has 10 more yrs experience under it's belt so stop worrying. Your Bronco isn't going to be twitchy or evil handling, you're going to love it. Hop over to the Sport forum, the new owners love them, the reviewers are largely impressed. Same as the Bronco, no, built by the same company, yes.

All the main pieces are proven with the exception of, maybe the 7spd.

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would think testing out a wrangler with 35s would be a better comparison. The driving quality of the Bronco will be slightly better, due to the IFS. But the suspension will be tuned in a similar way. Ride height, and vehicle size will be similar.

I can say I went from 33s to 35s on my Gladiator and I couldn’t really tell the difference, besides climbing in and out. I added a small 1” lift so the total ride height was about 2” difference.

If the vehicle is designed to run a 35 then it will usually do it well and have good road manners. The only downside I see for the Sas is the reduced suspension travel. But lockers and more clearance should make up for that. Also, reduced gpm. Lower gearing and bigger tires always eats into the your gpm.

jeep364

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep WK
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Go Bills!
1610916118373.jpeg
I'm still looking at BD for cheap and easy availability of 265 70 17 tires which are big enough for me, though I am not a fan of steel wheels (less concerned now that I have left the rust belt for work), but like the bumper/marine grade vinyl seats. Ambivalent on the aux switches since it replaces the sunglass holder, but might throw on some nice SAE amber fogs at some point.

Regardless of choice from one cny-er to the other... Let's go Buffalo!
Sponsored