Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

We're visiting friends in Windsor (just over an hour and a closed border away from MAP) and we took an overnight side trip to show the kids a good time. On the way back today I managed to secure a test drive in a SB 4dr BD with 2.3L/10A, advanced 4x4, mid, soft top, and stock steelies. I often wonder if my wife still loves me after a year of hearing about Broncos non-stop but she agreed without hesitation to backtrack 20min + to drive this truck after a loooong day and two tired, hungry kiddos. She may as well have renewed our vows.

I felt very rushed with the younger one screaming over not getting to come with me, everyone being tired, hungry, and overheated, and the overly-friendly salesman talking my ear off. Unfortunately I didn’t get to try out @Rick Astley's trick to de-fuckify the 10A and it really showed. That engine and tranny combo will not help sell this truck to the masses. Apart from that though:
-power was great in the 80 to 100km/h range
-the MGV was soft and supple
-the interior screamed utilitarian and the hard plastic looked the part. I didn't see any problem with it.
-the 8" screen is plenty big enough
-the aux switches were very light but had a satisfying click
-there is next to no sight picture out of the rear window with the soft top down.
-I didn't take the time to sit in with my wife, but the interior felt wide enough to not be bumping elbows. We test drove a 4Runner a few years ago and it was too narrow to be comfortable as a family vehicle, but I can't see this having the same problem
-the stock tires and black steelies looked great - no upgrades needed
-the shape of the hood when driving will take a bit of getting used to but also.made it very easy to gauge where the vehicle was. Overall I liked it.
-the steering felt crisp and the truck did not feel like it was rolling in corners
-there is absolutely no brake feel.in the first about 1/4 of the pedal travel but it comes on just fine after that
-the cluster is a cluster. I'm sure I'll get used to it but it was not intuitive at first glance, nor by the end of my ~10 minute test drive.
-I briefly pulled over to glance around and cranked the stereo while stopped. It had plenty of sound, but that quickly died out while driving with the soft top down
-I was please to see that all four windows had one-touch down and up
-I don't think I felt a single bump in the pavement over the entire test drive

While I didn't take anywhere near enough time to truly experience the truck, I am satisfied that I am making the right choice by getting one, especially with the 7M where I can hold it in its powerband at will. It's not going to blow your panties off with it's on-road performance, but that's not what it's made for in the end.

Screenshot_20210805-130322_Maps.jpg

20210809_173322.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lakelife36

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So the next day I got to test drive a Base and this time my wife came with me. There is far more elbow room than in a 4Runner and you can easily sit behind yourself. She was worried about the roof being too low but we pulled up the soft top and there is plenty of headroom in both rows.
Another great tidbit for those like me who hadn't known about it before is that the auto start/stop disable button is front and centre below the touchscreen, right where it's easy to turn that feature off.

20210810_142611.jpg

20210810_145739.jpg

20210810_150404.jpg