CB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F250 Custom 4X4; Pending: Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So I've never done a forum build thread before. I make YouTube and Instagram posts about my cars so why not?

Here's a link to the my socials if y'all wanna follow along there as well.
Instagram: @jacobrdoty
YouTube: Jacob R. Doty

Day 2 reservation holder > converted to order in November 2021 > Delivered May 2022

2022 4 Door Hard Top Outerbanks Sasquatch in Oxford White

Delivery Day:
IMG_4825 2.JPG

Had to add some Amazon 3/4" 70,000lb shackles: https://amzn.to/3NGC2Wr
EFAC75FB-8677-4EF0-B0B2-BE694960631A.JPG
IMG_4850 2.JPG

Next was to get some kind of paint protection added. I use Liquid X products on my Mustang and love their stuff. Since mine sits outside I wanted to be sure any bird dropping or hard water wouldn't adhere to the paint and cause etching. Obviously, you'll still want to clean those off but at least a proper protectant could buy you some time.
IMG_5058.JPG

IMG_5059.JPG
I thought that background in your scenic photos looked familiar; I live in Redding, CA about 2.5 hours north of your location. Your Bronco looks fantastic and is super clean. I am clean freak and I don't mind who dirty my vehicle becomes because it will always receive a detailed clean when back home.
Sponsored

Last edited:

zrizik99

Black Diamond
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 2016
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sweet build and good content! I'd like to see your approach to the BYOD bar. Arhce's bar is pricy

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
@jacobrdoty hi, how much was your tint job? Any little tiny bubbles show up out by the edges especially on the back three windows which have some sort of texture pattern around the perimeter? All the tint is on the inside of the windows correct? PM me if you’d prefer? Thanks!

OP
OP
jacobrdoty

jacobrdoty

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT (Bagged and Boosted) x 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sweet build and good content! I'd like to see your approach to the BYOD bar. Arhce's bar is pricy
I haven't looked into the device bars much but it's something I definitely want as it'd be nice to use my GoPro on the dash mount for B roll as I record offraoding trips.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jacobrdoty

jacobrdoty

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
@jacobrdoty hi, how much was your tint job? Any little tiny bubbles show up out by the edges especially on the back three windows which have some sort of texture pattern around the perimeter? All the tint is on the inside of the windows correct? PM me if you’d prefer? Thanks!
Tint was $450 if you're not doing the windshield. Absolutely 0 bubbles. Yep, all the tint is on the inside. You can check out the video of the tint going on here:

Reactions: 0ne
OP
OP
jacobrdoty

jacobrdoty

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So with the 37s and the -30 offset on the wheels I was rubbing on the side steps. I knew going into the wheel/tire selection that I'd be doing some trimming. I had a pretty decent-sized Bronco Bash event coming up the day after (photos soon) so I needed to be sure I was going to be ripping off my side steps on the trail as it articulates.

The main culprits were the OEM drop-down side steps. They hang quite low and are all the way forward on the fender. It was rubbing at about 3/4 turn and even worse in reverse. It literally sounded like I was ripping body panels off with each knob on the tire scraping the side step.

To fix this I bought a new tool (woo! new tool day!) - an angle grinder with cut-off wheels for all of $25 from Harbor Freight.

It took about an hour for each side (6 13mm bolts to undo which is super easy) and then cutting/painting/rivnutting M6 thread on for the cap and then re-installation.

I cut 1 3/4" off the front and now there's 0 rubbing on the side steps. I do still rub on the fender liner but I'd describe that as a "swish" sounding rub rather than the "ripping your side steps off and feel it in your teeth every time you park" rub - haha. I can deal with the swishing!

Check out some pics on the process:

Before - we're rubbin' pretttttty good here. And that's on the smaller knob of the tire.

Ford Bronco YETI Bronco - Outerbanks SAS with 17" Beadlocks and 37" BFG KM3 IMG_6475.JPG

Very scientific and professional plan of attack - wanted it to line up with the edge of the fender - idk it's just a visual line thing and I'm OCD?

Ford Bronco YETI Bronco - Outerbanks SAS with 17" Beadlocks and 37" BFG KM3 IMG_6476.JPG

Ford Bronco YETI Bronco - Outerbanks SAS with 17" Beadlocks and 37" BFG KM3 IMG_6483.JPG

Ford Bronco YETI Bronco - Outerbanks SAS with 17" Beadlocks and 37" BFG KM3 IMG_6484.JPG
Ford Bronco YETI Bronco - Outerbanks SAS with 17" Beadlocks and 37" BFG KM3 68202893810__F89F9ABD-F317-4CB5-9D72-ADBAA3588E95.JPG

Trimmed the underside of the OEM cap. This is critical as it had these little arms it slid into. If you don't cut them and sand them down it'll be the same length because of the cap. When I cut it also messed up the 2 bolt points on the back side. This is where I rivnutted on a new threaded piece as a "just in case" for the OEM cap. Added some double-sided gorilla tape to hold it on as well. Made sure to clamp it for at least 10 minutes so it had a good hold. So far so good!

Ford Bronco YETI Bronco - Outerbanks SAS with 17" Beadlocks and 37" BFG KM3 IMG_6485.JPG
Ford Bronco YETI Bronco - Outerbanks SAS with 17" Beadlocks and 37" BFG KM3 IMG_6489.JPG
Ford Bronco YETI Bronco - Outerbanks SAS with 17" Beadlocks and 37" BFG KM3 IMG_6491.JPG
Ford Bronco YETI Bronco - Outerbanks SAS with 17" Beadlocks and 37" BFG KM3 IMG_6492.JPG

Done with one side!

Ford Bronco YETI Bronco - Outerbanks SAS with 17" Beadlocks and 37" BFG KM3 IMG_6497.JPG

Here's a shot without side steps. Would love to have kept it as it made it look even bigger but I wanted to keep these as mudflaps for the trail trip. I don't have the sides PPF'd yet.

Ford Bronco YETI Bronco - Outerbanks SAS with 17" Beadlocks and 37" BFG KM3 IMG_6504 2.JPG

Clearance after: we're good for the side step! Here's a shot with the fender liner rub point. I suspect I'd be able to trim and push that back at a later date too. It's not nearly as bad as the side step one and honestly doesn't seem to be doing any damage. Now that I'm back from the trail trip it all worked! I still rubbed on that spot in the pic but it was nothing to worry about and comes with the territory of going to an aggressive wheel/tire setup.

Ford Bronco YETI Bronco - Outerbanks SAS with 17" Beadlocks and 37" BFG KM3 IMG_6500.JPG

Ford Bronco YETI Bronco - Outerbanks SAS with 17" Beadlocks and 37" BFG KM3 IMG_6501.JPG

Let me know if y'all have any questions!

-Jacob

IMG_6497.JPG

BroncoJoerg

Badlands
First Name
Joerg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm wondering what kind of off-roading you're doing with your Bronco? Rumor has it that with an upgrade to 37"+ tires and a spacer lift you could have an issue with tie rods and the steering rack if you do any serious rock crawling. There are some ways to beef those up and I'm wondering if that's in the plans?

zyglyrox

Base
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 BaseSAS / ‘21 Bronco Sport BB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

How’s the noise level from the OEM Goodyears to the KM3s?

Sponsored
OP
OP
jacobrdoty

jacobrdoty

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm wondering what kind of off-roading you're doing with your Bronco? Rumor has it that with an upgrade to 37"+ tires and a spacer lift you could have an issue with tie rods and the steering rack if you do any serious rock crawling. There are some ways to beef those up and I'm wondering if that's in the plans?
Mild/Hard trails around Tahoe National Forest and El Dorado National Forest. Not rubicon level but maybe one day.
I have tie rod reinforcements on the way in the mail! Will share that install process too! I still will be carrying spare tie rods as I would want them to break rather than split the casting on the steering rack.
Sort of two frames of mind. 1) make it so stiff that nothing breaks ever or if it does it’s literally tweaking metal 2) give your vehicle “break away” point to avoid more serious/expensive damage when tie rod can be changed on trail in 15-20 mins.
The tie rod supports I have coming will still allow it to break, but not prematurely. A slight beef up

OP
OP
jacobrdoty

jacobrdoty

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Very informative . I have a question and would like to know what your total height is now with the lift and wheel package? I plan on garaging the Wildtrak when it arrives. The garage door height may limit my build. Thank you. :cool:
Around 78” is what I measured to the top of my hard top. Now I could be .5” off either direction as it was hard to eyeball alone haha

hotrodtim

Wildtrak
First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 EXPEDITION,2009 F150,2003 LINCOLN AVIATOR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Around 78” is what I measured to the top of my hard top. Now I could be .5” off either direction as it was hard to eyeball alone haha
Thank you for the follow up. I have a 80" opening and it is close but maybe doable. :cool: The optional roof rails I ordered would have to come off.:mad:

CUPRA

Outer Banks
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBXSAS/'23 Camaro SS Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is a great looking OBX, has a really nice stance to it. Got to love the black and white colors together. The Camaro I traded in on our Bronco had no color on it at all - completely black and white!

I've watched a few of your YouTube videos previously and it sure looks like you're having fun with it! I create Bronco YouTube content too, nothing crazy, but I just like helping people out, much like YouTube has helped me out over the years. Just to give people informed decisions before they purchase a product. I've also helped almost 10K people replace their ESIM modules and 23K people switch out their auxiliary batteries on their Jeep Grand Cherokee's, so I feel like I'm giving back after all the YouTube help I've searched for! LOL!

Keep on doing what you're doing!
Sponsored