Sponsored

Yikes! Sasquatch Springs and Shocks Lifted my 2 Door Black Diamond 3+ Inches. Need help!

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
When I picked up my 2 Door Black Diamond today, I was expecting more height (up to 1.5"), but not waaay more height. I didn't measure it but it was at least 3" taller. It's now very unstable and I hear a grinding noise from the front. I researched like crazy on this Forum to make sure I was buying the right shocks and coils, and double checked before ordering. The parts I received matched. What the hell happened? How can I get 3+ inches of lift? Here's what I bought for my 2 door, 2.3, Auto with Tow Black Diamond. The only thing I can think of is that I bought the wrong coils.
Ford Bronco Yikes! Sasquatch Springs and Shocks Lifted my 2 Door Black Diamond 3+ Inches. Need help! 1661047425450

Can anyone with a similarly setup 2 Door Sasquatch Black Diamond or Badland confirm the coil part numbers for me? Any other ideas what went wrong?
Right now it's undrivable. Longer sway bar links may help with the stability, but it will still be much taller than I want. I'll probably tell the shop to reinstall the original suspension (hopefully they still have it). Not sure what else I can do.
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well I just checked the parts catalog and there are a 13 different front springs available available alonefor the Sasquatch package.

Betcha they have different spring rates for different vehicles based on the vehicle weight. Makes sense given the 2-door models are 200-400 pounds lighter than the 4-door equivalents, and a Base 2-door is 815 lbs lighter than a 4-door Badlands.

My guess is you bought springs for a much heavier vehicle. But the parts catalog doesn't give you the spring rate (at least from my view of it, your dealer may have better luck). So what you're probably going to have to do is scour the internet for a 2-door Black Diamond Sasquatch, and use the VIN number of that vehicle to look up the correct spring.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Front coils should be: MB3Z-5310-J
Rear shocks should be: MB3Z-18125-J
Rear coils should be: MB3Z-5560-F

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m getting from a 2021 2 door black diamond with SAS 2.3 auto and tow

Last edited:
OP
OP
MoabRox

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Front coils should be: MB3Z-5310-J
Rear shocks should be: MB3Z-18125-J
Rear coils should be: MB3Z-5560-F

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m getting from a 2021 2 door black diamond with SAS 2.3 auto and tow
How did you get those parts numbers? Did you have an actual VIN? Thanks.

Also, I find it concerning that there is now a second High Ride rear shock choice. Per "The Definitive Guide to 2021+ Bronco Ride & Lift Heights with Wheel & Tire Sizes"
there is only one choice (MB3Z-18125-K).

Last edited:

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Can you post some pictures of the coilovers installed? 3 inches seems like a lot regardless of which spring you used. Id like to see the install to see if anything looks off. Also, has the Bronco been driven and the suspension cycled several times on some good bumps or inclines? Stuff does settle pretty quickly, but often times is riding high just off the install.

Honestly though, if you didn't measure before, it's hard to get an accurate after.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MoabRox

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Can you post some pictures of the coilovers installed? 3 inches seems like a lot regardless of which spring you used. Id like to see the install to see if anything looks off. Also, has the Bronco been driven and the suspension cycled several times on some good bumps or inclines? Stuff does settle pretty quickly, but often times is riding high just off the install.

Honestly though, if you didn't measure before, it's hard to get an accurate after.
I was so upset I didn't think to take pictures. Just left it at the shop to deal with Monday. I forgot to take measurements before, but I did take a really good picture from the side. I'm pretty sure it's in the 3 inch range. I drove it a few miles before I turned around and took it back to the shop, but not through any good bumps or inclines. I don't know if they cycled the suspension.

I agree that 3 inches is a lot regardless of the springs. I'm new to coilovers. What could the shop have done wrong? They reused the top hats from my Hitachis and I provided everything else. There was a ~1/2 tall metal sleeve over the shock shaft threads. Could that make that kind of a difference, if it should have been removed?

Thanks for your help. It's really appreciated.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was so upset I didn't think to take pictures. Just left it at the shop to deal with Monday. I forgot to take measurements before, but I did take a really good picture from the side. I'm pretty sure it's in the 3 inch range. I drove it a few miles before I turned around and took it back to the shop, but not through any good bumps or inclines. I don't know if they cycled the suspension.

I agree that 3 inches is a lot regardless of the springs. I'm new to coilovers. What could the shop have done wrong? They reused the top hats from my Hitachis and I provided everything else. There was a ~1/2 tall metal sleeve over the shock shaft threads. Could that make that kind of a difference, if it should have been removed?

Thanks for your help. It's really appreciated.

When I switched mine out, the front was definitely sitting much higher than expected. I drove it a few miles on a rough dirt road and then flexed it fairly well in the ditch by my house and it settled an inch or so. The rear seemed correct from the beginning. Did it look level or higher in the front?
I ended up with right under 2 inches for the Badlands springs, so I would expect the Squatch would have been a little over 2 on my Black Diamond.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I know this doesnā€™t help much, but this is a picture right after install. The front was higher than the rear. I had a real WTF moment for about 5 minutes. The static weight wasnā€™t enough to fully compress the springs, but it came down right after driving to give it some forward rake.

Ford Bronco Yikes! Sasquatch Springs and Shocks Lifted my 2 Door Black Diamond 3+ Inches. Need help! 3E353B65-7B82-4463-8A13-B5B485273E7F

OP
OP
MoabRox

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
When I switched mine out, the front was definitely sitting much higher than expected. I drove it a few miles on a rough dirt road and then flexed it fairly well in the ditch by my house and it settled an inch or so. The rear seemed correct from the beginning. Did it look level or higher in the front?
I ended up with right under 2 inches for the Badlands springs, so I would expect the Squatch would have been a little over 2 on my Black Diamond.
It looked level, possibly slightly higher in the front. I was hoping it would settle after driving it a while, but it handled so poorly that it scared me which is why I took it back to the shop. The sway bar ends were aimed down and the end links were at a horrible angle. I figure that is why I was getting horrible body roll when I was getting on the freeway. The half shafts also looked to be at extreme angles--hopefully that wasn't the grinding noise I was hearing.

Per Ducati1098 I got the wrong springs. I can live with a little stiffer and/or taller ride, but unless this settles at least an inch, I'm either going to have to swap the springs or just have them put the Hitachis back on and lick my wounds.

Thanks again for your help.

OP
OP
MoabRox

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I know this doesnā€™t help much, but this is a picture right after install. The front was higher than the rear. I had a real WTF moment for about 5 minutes. The static weight wasnā€™t enough to fully compress the springs, but it came down right after driving to give it some forward rake.

Ford Bronco Yikes! Sasquatch Springs and Shocks Lifted my 2 Door Black Diamond 3+ Inches. Need help! 3E353B65-7B82-4463-8A13-B5B485273E7F
You've given me some hope. Maybe I can sleep now!

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It looked level, possibly slightly higher in the front. I was hoping it would settle after driving it a while, but it handled so poorly that it scared me which is why I took it back to the shop. The sway bar ends were aimed down and the end links were at a horrible angle. I figure that is why I was getting horrible body roll when I was getting on the freeway. The half shafts also looked to be at extreme angles--hopefully that wasn't the grinding noise I was hearing.

Per Ducati1098 I got the wrong springs. I can live with a little stiffer and/or taller ride, but unless this settles at least an inch, I'm either going to have to swap the springs or just have them put the Hitachis back on and lick my wounds.

Thanks again for your help.

Or, add a plate bumper and a winch, and you are golden! Upgrade the skid plates will also add 100lbs or so. This actually could be a blessing in disguise. You HAVE to buy new stuff to settle the front.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You've given me some hope. Maybe I can sleep now!

Not worth losing sleep over. The worst thing is you replace the springs. Sucks to waste money redoing something, but I've done it far more times than I want to admit.

OP
OP
MoabRox

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I should still have my center axle to fender measurements written down from when I did my install. I'm at work now, but I'll try to find them tomorrow so you at least have a reference of where you should be.

Also, my above picture was with 33s, so if you still have the stock tires, the fender space probably looks huge.

I'm actually removing mine Monday and replacing with Icons. I'll measure again and see how much they settled with 10 months of hard use.

Last edited:

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

How did you get those parts numbers? Did you have an actual VIN? Thanks.

Also, I find it concerning that there is now a second High Ride rear shock choice. Per "The Definitive Guide to 2021+ Bronco Ride & Lift Heights with Wheel & Tire Sizes"
there is only one choice (MB3Z-18125-K).
Yes, I found a VIN to look it up. The part numbers are straight out of HVBOM. I havenā€™t looked through that post that youā€™re referencing, all I know is those are the part numbers listed for this bronco:

B1C20D1B-E12C-467E-BD0E-1E8923A628E7.jpeg
Sponsored