Sponsored

Yikes! Sasquatch Springs and Shocks Lifted my 2 Door Black Diamond 3+ Inches. Need help!

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Given what I know now, I should have gone with the EXPs. It's a better shock than the stock Bilsteins. The only drawback with the EXPs is that by reusing the stock coils, the suspension travel stays the same. I was aiming to improve that with the Sasquatch suspension--although not by very much. I should have just accepted the fact that without spending a ton of money, my Bronco will never get anywhere near the suspension travel that my (now my son's) XJ has.
You guys look at the just released Bilstein 6100s. Upgrade to the stock sasquatch and very similar to the EXPs at almost $1000 less. Just another option.
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I got the Icon 2.5 IR coilovers. I was planning to do it this fall/winter, but the August sale prices were too good to pass up.

SavSqch

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Savas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

When I picked up my 2 Door Black Diamond today, I was expecting more height (up to 1.5"), but not waaay more height. I didn't measure it but it was at least 3" taller. It's now very unstable and I hear a grinding noise from the front. I researched like crazy on this Forum to make sure I was buying the right shocks and coils, and double checked before ordering. The parts I received matched. What the hell happened? How can I get 3+ inches of lift? Here's what I bought for my 2 door, 2.3, Auto with Tow Black Diamond. The only thing I can think of is that I bought the wrong coils.
1661047425450.png

Can anyone with a similarly setup 2 Door Sasquatch Black Diamond or Badland confirm the coil part numbers for me? Any other ideas what went wrong?
Right now it's undrivable. Longer sway bar links may help with the stability, but it will still be much taller than I want. I'll probably tell the shop to reinstall the original suspension (hopefully they still have it). Not sure what else I can do.
This has to be such an awful feeling.

New car probably waited bit of time for and bam something wrong on simple upgrade.

I sure hope OP gets it sorted quick enough .

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe the springs are not sitting in the pockets correctly. I have seen this before.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Maybe the springs are not sitting in the pockets correctly. I have seen this before.
Yeah, would like to see it for sure. 3 inches just sounds like a lot for what’s basically a stock Squatch suspension. It would help if Ford included spring length and rates though. Who knows.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MoabRox

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'll have them check that. They looked properly seated on the perch, but I couldn't get a good look the tops. Thanks for the advice.

OP
OP
MoabRox

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This has to be such an awful feeling.

New car probably waited bit of time for and bam something wrong on simple upgrade.

I sure hope OP gets it sorted quick enough .
I can assure you that it's not a good feeling, but like most things it will pass. Not such a new car though. I've had it 9 months to enjoy. So having it sitting in the shop a week or so doesn't hurt.
Thanks for the support though.

2022 base

Base
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Chevy, 2004 Cooper S
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well I just checked the parts catalog and there are a 13 different front springs available available alonefor the Sasquatch package.

Betcha they have different spring rates for different vehicles based on the vehicle weight. Makes sense given the 2-door models are 200-400 pounds lighter than the 4-door equivalents, and a Base 2-door is 815 lbs lighter than a 4-door Badlands.

My guess is you bought springs for a much heavier vehicle. But the parts catalog doesn't give you the spring rate (at least from my view of it, your dealer may have better luck). So what you're probably going to have to do is scour the internet for a 2-door Black Diamond Sasquatch, and use the VIN number of that vehicle to look up the correct spring.
I have take offs from a 4 door sas badlands and wish to put hem on my base 2 door. DO I need to swap the springs off my stock coilovers so I dont have the sam problem as MoabRox?

OP
OP
MoabRox

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have take offs from a 4 door sas badlands and wish to put hem on my base 2 door. DO I need to swap the springs off my stock coilovers so I dont have the sam problem as MoabRox?
Your base has the same coilovers (Hitachis) that my Black Diamond did--maybe different springs but the same shocks. You cannot reuse your springs with the sas shocks. They are incompatible. Sounds like you bought assembled takeoffs. I bought the parts individually and had a shop assemble the coilovers and install them. The only parts I had right were the front shocks and the isolators. Maybe you won't have the same results I did. You won't know for sure until you try.

I eventually ended up installing Bilstein 5100s, using the Hitachi springs and top hats. The Bilsteins have multiple perch heights and I had mine set at 1.5" higher than stock. I'm really happy with the results. Still wish I had been more patient for the aftermarket options--would have saved myself a lot of money.

Best of luck.

2022 base

Base
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Chevy, 2004 Cooper S
Your Bronco Model
Base
Your base has the same coilovers (Hitachis) that my Black Diamond did--maybe different springs but the same shocks. You cannot reuse your springs with the sas shocks. They are incompatible. Sounds like you bought assembled takeoffs. I bought the parts individually and had a shop assemble the coilovers and install them. The only parts I had right were the front shocks and the isolators. Maybe you won't have the same results I did. You won't know for sure until you try.

I eventually ended up installing Bilstein 5100s, using the Hitachi springs and top hats. The Bilsteins have multiple perch heights and I had mine set at 1.5" higher than stock. I'm really happy with the results. Still wish I had been more patient for the aftermarket options--would have saved myself a lot of money.

Best of luck.
ok thanks, I will just put them up for sale and not bother taking a risk

Sponsored

M97

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base

Best of luck.
How is the ride quality of the 5100s? I might have just made the same mistake as you buying Sasquatch take offs from already put together from Sasquatch Badlands v6

OP
OP
MoabRox

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How is the ride quality of the 5100s? I might have just made the same mistake as you buying Sasquatch take offs from already put together from Sasquatch Badlands v6
The ride quality is definitely better (especially off road) than the Hitachis, and the wheel travel increased a little as well (as evidenced by how far down a retaining wall I can go before lifting a rear tire). I have no point of reference to compare the ride quality to that with the sas suspension.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Best of luck.
I stumbled on this old thread. Good to see you found the right lift, i too ended up with 5100's, set 1.5 front and 1.75 rear and think they're perfect. I bought a spacer lift, but the 5100s came out before I got them installed, happy that happened. How have you found the articulation to be. I really haven't been in high articulation situations much and am curious what you think, compared to the Hitachis.

OP
OP
MoabRox

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I stumbled on this old thread. Good to see you found the right lift, i too ended up with 5100's, set 1.5 front and 1.75 rear and think they're perfect. I bought a spacer lift, but the 5100s came out before I got them installed, happy that happened. How have you found the articulation to be. I really haven't been in high articulation situations much and am curious what you think, compared to the Hitachis.
The articulation is definitely better, but it's really hard to quantify how much better. The retaining wall I used to gauge it runs alongside a sloping driveway. I was able to drive about 16" further along the wall with the DS front tire on the wall, crossing up the suspension where it was just barely teetering on the front DL and rear PS tires. I'm guessing that's about 1 to 1.5 more inches of "articulation".

Earlier this year we did a couple trips where I maxed out the articulation. I noticed three things. One, it's much better than it was with the Hitachis. Two, the articulation is still pathetic compared to a Jeep XJ with the front swaybar disconnected. Three, it went everywhere the XJs went and kicked their butts in the sand dunes.

Last, I'm so satisfied with the 5100s and overall performance that I'm not planning on any future suspension upgrades.

Broncoco

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You said you saw a metal sleeve somewhere. I can't find that post. Do the shocks have perch's on them?
Sponsored