Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No snow flake, just M+S.

It's worth noting that a true snowflake rated tire probably wouldn't make a great deep snow tire, like wise, a M+S tire isn't going to be the best at 60mph on compact ice and snow, especially at 39psi!
Glad you hammered this.

Fit the applicable tires to your most frequent variety of driving and you will be the most happy.
Sponsored

tongsun3717

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X3
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Looks so scary, not me.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
serious mods to that BII

My B IIs have all been standards and that is what I have on order. One thing I loved was that I could lock my hubs (manual) at the first snow and just leave them locked for the season with the only degradation was a drop from 22mpg to 20.5 mpg and some steering wheel rocking in very tight (near the locks) turns due to the axle shaft u-joints. With them locked I could shift in and out of 4 on the fly at any speed and would do so when on dry pavement on highways whenever I encountered a drift, just flip into 4wd while doing 70, stay in the gas and move over it and back to 2wd when hit dry pavement on the other side. I don't know anyone personally who did what I did with most looking at me like I had two heads when I didn't get out and lock and unlock hubs every time I went in and out of 4wd. 192k miles with no issues in the 4wd system (partly because it was well exercised) speaks for the technique I used was okay.

My drive in Off-Rodeo caused me some concern as they evidently have a differential (I assume limited slip) in the transfer case so front and rear axles could be different speeds as they had us put it in 4wd on pavement and there wasn't any sort of chatter in turns. I just don't like that as it is like relying on a limited slip differential on the rear axle compared to a locker. I suppose with locker on the axle it is okay. What I drove had the advanced transfer case and that is what I have in my order as I didn't know if the basic transfer case would be able to shift into 4wd on the fly like I wanted. I'll tolerate a differential in the transfer case if it is the only way I can get the rapid transition from 2 to 4. My 02 explorer had a live axle and can switch rapidly at a pushbutton but it is not nearly as good as the old BII in the snow.
On the old manual hubbed 4WDs up here in Calgary leaving the hubs wound in all winter was how we did it. You only need to try to engage frozen manual hubs once to become a fan of leaving them engaged…

As for the advanced 4WD transfer cases in modern vehicles - you don’t have much to worry about IMO. My 2019 F150 has this feature and it essentially works the same way as leaving your hubs in, except it - like virtually every other mechanical linkage in a modern vehicle - is controlled electronically. Your lockers, transfer case, throttle linkage, power steering etc are all electronically controlled. If you have issues with one you’ll have it with all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nobody

Nobody

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snowtrek.org
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Woot! More two door action!

Awesome video Matt! Kinda makes me homesick for the Wet Coast. When I come down there we'll have to hit a couple of trails.

I love how much visibility the dropped centre of the hood gives.

I wonder if turning off the stability control would make it brake better?
How long has it been, 20 years? Come on down!

I do find it a bit comical that I have to "figure" out the behavior of all these modes when my 1970 Bronco has it all integrated into one pedal!

OP
OP
Nobody

Nobody

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snowtrek.org
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Next time give it a whirl in Sand mode. My understanding is Slippery should be more for slippery road conditions, and would therefore be tuned to minimize wheelslip and any "fun" factor (though traction control might be defeated in 4LO, I'm not sure). In the F-150, it's literally called "Deep Snow/Sand" so regardless of why they dropped the snow nomenclature (heh...snowmenclature), I would bet you'd have more appropriate settings for snow wheeling. For instance you'd probably get better stopping performance, since tuning for stopping in loose sand is probably much more like what you're seeing in the snow than if you're on a slushy highway.

Neat video, thanks for sharing!
I fully intended on testing the other modes. I never expected the Bronco would do that well. The point I stopped was definitely not the place to test anything.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Nobody

Nobody

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snowtrek.org
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Front locker gets engaged at 12:15

And yes chains do help. Used to run them back in the day. But they are a lot of extra hassle and expense.

BroncOBabe2.7

Outer Banks
First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Taurus
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Love this so much! Thank you for sharing! I absolutely hate winter and snow but after this video I'm kinda looking forward to it come 2023, since I doubt I'll have my 2 door blue beauty before this winter season is over 🙄

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How long has it been, 20 years? Come on down!

I do find it a bit comical that I have to "figure" out the behavior of all these modes when my 1970 Bronco has it all integrated into one pedal!
If it hasn’t been 20 years, it’s got to be darn close. Hell, I’ve lived here for almost 17 years.

All of these fancy modes are going to take some testing to figure out what works where, for sure.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks!!! Fingers crossed will have mine by Christmas, Good to know about tires!!!

Sponsored

topoguide

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Land Cruiser UZJ100
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great video! Like others I miss the trees and snow in the PNW and thoroughly enjoyed your vid. Thanks!

I was thinking the same thing about how the prev gen Broncos had all those fancy modes integrated into one pedal! :ROFLMAO: Not sure I am excited to step into the modern electronics age. I have been holding on to my 100 series Land Cruiser because it's still old school.

Final thought. Those brakes... they remind me of the anti-lock brakes on my 5th gen. I pulled the fuse on them after I had to use a fence to stop me while doing less than 5 mph. Nothing I could do got them to stop me on an icy road, they just kept trying not to lock... on ice o_O

Alpha1_Silverback

Badlands
First Name
AARON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Love this so much! Thank you for sharing! I absolutely hate winter and snow but after this video I'm kinda looking forward to it come 2023, since I doubt I'll have my 2 door blue beauty before this winter season is over 🙄
OHH are you in for a surprise! There should still be snow in February!!
Winter is coming….Your email is coming!

BroncOBabe2.7

Outer Banks
First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Taurus
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OHH are you in for a surprise! There should still be snow in February!!
Winter is coming….Your email is coming!
I got my email! So excited!! But when I try to load my VIN and order number into the tracker it says it can't be retrieved.... 🤔

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Mine stopped working too a few days ago.
Sponsored