Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So, to answer a long-unanswered question - do the Goodyears have a snowflake rating stamp on them?
No. It’s didn’t pass the 3peak test
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

serious mods to that BII

My B IIs have all been standards and that is what I have on order. One thing I loved was that I could lock my hubs (manual) at the first snow and just leave them locked for the season with the only degradation was a drop from 22mpg to 20.5 mpg and some steering wheel rocking in very tight (near the locks) turns due to the axle shaft u-joints. With them locked I could shift in and out of 4 on the fly at any speed and would do so when on dry pavement on highways whenever I encountered a drift, just flip into 4wd while doing 70, stay in the gas and move over it and back to 2wd when hit dry pavement on the other side. I don't know anyone personally who did what I did with most looking at me like I had two heads when I didn't get out and lock and unlock hubs every time I went in and out of 4wd. 192k miles with no issues in the 4wd system (partly because it was well exercised) speaks for the technique I used was okay.

My drive in Off-Rodeo caused me some concern as they evidently have a differential (I assume limited slip) in the transfer case so front and rear axles could be different speeds as they had us put it in 4wd on pavement and there wasn't any sort of chatter in turns. I just don't like that as it is like relying on a limited slip differential on the rear axle compared to a locker. I suppose with locker on the axle it is okay. What I drove had the advanced transfer case and that is what I have in my order as I didn't know if the basic transfer case would be able to shift into 4wd on the fly like I wanted. I'll tolerate a differential in the transfer case if it is the only way I can get the rapid transition from 2 to 4. My 02 explorer had a live axle and can switch rapidly at a pushbutton but it is not nearly as good as the old BII in the snow.
You are right about leaving the hubs in on an older rig and shifting at will from 2 to 4wd. I don't know why so many think you have to engage/disengage hubs at every 4x4 shift. Side story; my son is a wildland fire fighter. I've told him, and he tells his crew: Lock the hubs in when you arrive on scene and leave them in until you leave. Another crew had a truck burn and nearly lost two fire fighters because their hubs weren't locked in when fire shifted and they tried to turn around and got stuck.

And BTW all current Broncos, with both types of transfer cases are 'shift on the fly' to 4H. Just don't be spinning a tire when you do this. Anticipate, maybe back out of throttle to prevent wheel spin, and shift.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I ordered non sas specifically to be able to chain up. Owners manual says to chain up only 255 width tires (I bet 265's on BD would be fine). I checked Sas set ups, I think the rears would be OK but UCA clearance is tight in front. I always chain rears first, especially with IFS due to weakish font diff and CVs. OM again states to chain only rears, but again, cautious use in front might be OK.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Next time give it a whirl in Sand mode. My understanding is Slippery should be more for slippery road conditions, and would therefore be tuned to minimize wheelslip and any "fun" factor (though traction control might be defeated in 4LO, I'm not sure). In the F-150, it's literally called "Deep Snow/Sand" so regardless of why they dropped the snow nomenclature (heh...snowmenclature), I would bet you'd have more appropriate settings for snow wheeling. For instance you'd probably get better stopping performance, since tuning for stopping in loose sand is probably much more like what you're seeing in the snow than if you're on a slushy highway.

Neat video, thanks for sharing!
Yep, OM says to use Sand mode in deep snow. I'm curious to try this out.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No snow flake, just M+S.

It's worth noting that a true snowflake rated tire probably wouldn't make a great deep snow tire, like wise, a M+S tire isn't going to be the best at 60mph on compact ice and snow, especially at 39psi!
Absolutely true. The best deep-snow tire I ever used were TSL Radials. They would be terrifying on ice. Many snowflake rated tires (Duratracs for example) are sketchy on ice too.

Sponsored

Dimitar

Badlands
First Name
Dimitar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Stupid question - Anyone know how the soft top holds up in snow? In case I decide to take mine out up the mountain..

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well...I can understand your nervousness. Some places looked pretty narrow, with steep drop-offs. Happy no avalanches swept you away. Great video. Next time, take your coat!

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I realize I'm commenting on a pretty old post, but the jeeps at 1:29 had their ski racks open.
Does this mean that people out there just pop on their skis/boards and ski down where ever they want to?
That's the coolest thing ever.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Nobody

Nobody

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snowtrek.org
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I realize I'm commenting on a pretty old post, but the jeeps at 1:29 had their ski racks open.
Does this mean that people out there just pop on their skis/boards and ski down where ever they want to?
That's the coolest thing ever.
Correct. They are backcountry skiers. That particular spot is a trailhead up to a lake. Other places you can get up into some epic pow. Just comes with some risk, so must be smart about it.

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Any "liquids" need to be changed for snow season like that? Or the stock ones are fine?

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Washer fluid - the stuff that comes from the factory is watered down and can/will freeze on your windshield if you get into anything cold. Not nice driving across Wyoming in autumn and trying to clear your windshield only to have it turn into muddy ice on the hwy.
Sponsored