Sponsored

You seasoned Ford Guys: your opinion on the 2.3 Turbo?

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey guys,

So I have to say I'm pretty disappointed about the powertrain options, and lack of manual available in the V6 and forcing everyone to upgrade $10,000 (basically) if they want a Sasquatch package.

My question to seasoned Ford guys, how do you think this 2.3 turbo would handle 35 inch or greater tires as far as:

- Pep on the road with 35's
- Performance on the trails with 35's ( I want that crawler gear)

Reason I ask is because I see the video where the guy has a Badlands running around the Bronco Offroad thingie they created, and it has plenty of pep (it seems) in that and those videos, but that's rolling on 33's.

My thought now is evolving, into getting a Badlands now, instead of my original choice, and then getting whatever required lift for 35 inch tires.

Thought? and THANKS!
Sponsored

Last edited:

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey guys,

So I have to say I'm pretty disappointed about the power train options, and lack of manual available in the V6 and forcing everyone to upgrade $10,000 (basically) if they want a Sasquatch package.

My question to seasoned Ford guys, how do you think this 2.3 turbo would handle 35 inch or greater tires as far as:

Reason I ask is because I see the video where the guy has a Badlands running around the Bronco Offroad thingie they created, and it has plenty of pep (it seems) in that and those videos, but that's rolling on 33's.

My thought now is evolving, into getting a Badlands now, instead of my original choice, and then getting whatever required lift for 35 inch tires.

Thought? and THANKS!
Do you plan to get the Sasquatch package?

Sponsored
OP
OP
RedHotLava

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you plan to get the Sasquatch package?
So for me that's kind of the point. I want the crawler gear, manual and the upgraded front diff, but I also want to bump the tires up later.

OP
OP
RedHotLava

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford wouldn’t offer the Sasquatch package with the 2.3l if they didn’t think it could handle 35s
I understand that, and I'm sure "handle" is a term that they and us would interpret differently. Like I don't want something that will "technically turn the 35 inch tires and get you over" vs "that thing is a frustrating pig with 35's in the 2.3 I." Like, that's what I want to know from guys who have experience with this engines power.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hey guys,

So I have to say I'm pretty disappointed about the power train options, and lack of manual available in the V6 and forcing everyone to upgrade $10,000 (basically) if they want a Sasquatch package.

Thought? and THANKS!
I have a 2013 Focus ST with a 2.0L turbo and I love it. Great bang for the buck! I've had 4 Wranglers (3 Rubicons), 2 LR Def 90s and a 4 Runner. My feeling is that the 2.3L w/Sasquatch will be fine for off roading. My problem is that I like to go fast on the highway, pass aggressively, etc and here is where the 2.3L will be sorely lacking. I will not buy the Bronco without the 2.7L Sasquatch or not. The Bronce is a big, heavy vehicle in the 4500-5000 lb range. The big wheel setup will need a lot of power to get those bad boys spinning. No one is going to be upset in the long run for getting the bigger engine, but a lot of folks will be upset that go with the smaller one.

Last edited:

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not to be super picky but to “upgrade” the black diamond to the 2.7 auto and Sasquatch it’s $8000..
I’ve seen alot
Of people round up to 10-12k... I guess that’s not how my math works..

my uneducated opinion isI believe the 2.3 can handle the 35s fine but the reason I decided to go with the 2.7 is future resale- and who knows if this is correct line of thinking but I believe the V6 will hold its value more.
Not sure why I care because I really do plan on holding onto the Bronc for a long time

Sponsored
OP
OP
RedHotLava

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 2013 Focus ST with a 2.3L turbo and I love it. Great bang for the buck! I've had 4 Wranglers (3 Rubicons), 2 LR Def 90s and a 4 Runner. My feeling is that the 2.3L w/Sasquatch will be fine for off roading. My problem is that I like to go fast on the highway, pass aggressively, etc and here is where the 2.3L will be sorely lacking. I will not buy the Bronco without the 2.7L Sasquatch or not. The Bronce is a big, heavy vehicle in the 4500-5000 lb range. The big wheel setup will need a lot of power to get those bad boys spinning. No one is going to be upset in the long run for getting the bigger engine, but a lot of folks will be upset that go with the smaller one.
Roger that, thanks for that. That's kind of what I'm looking for. I think a lot of guys are always on the fence going with the smaller engine, and I think if I were planning on sticking with 33's, it'd be fine, but I'm not.

OP
OP
RedHotLava

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not to be super picky but to “upgrade” the black diamond to the 2.7 auto and Sasquatch it’s $8000..
I’ve seen alot

my uneducated opinion isI believe the 2.3 can handle the 35s fine but the reason I decided to go with the 2.7 is future resale- and who knows if this is correct line of thinking but I believe the V6 will hold its value more.
Not sure why I care because I really do plan on holding onto the Bronc for a long time
I said "basically" :) Yes, I'm rounding up because I'm a salty about the lack of manual option in the 6 cylinder, the forcing you to get an auto, and no one know's concrete prices yet, hence, the surveys being sent out by ford.

OP
OP
RedHotLava

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Had a Focus RS with the 2.3L. The car was an absolute monster.
:ROFLMAO: please elaborate. I think we'd all like to hear about it.

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve seen alot

I think the manual will also hold its value well. In 10 years or so when someone is looking for a used Bronco to drop a V8 in they will be looking for the manuals.
Sponsored