Sponsored

You seasoned Ford Guys: your opinion on the 2.3 Turbo?

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 2.3L will be more than adequate and turning 35's. I've only driven 20k miles on my 2.3L and it turns my 33" just fine. And I can still out accelerate V6's.
Sponsored

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Before my current truck, I owned a 2012 Wrangler with the 6 speed. It was pretty sprightly with the manual. Well it was until I put 33s on it. 6th gear was all but useless. Mine had the terrible 3.21 gears though. I was finally able to afford a gear swap but had to sell it to fund a cross county move.

I was running some numbers to try and get a feel for how the 2.3/7speed compared to my old JK. The 2.3L makes 50lb ft more than the 3.6L Pentastar but gives up 15hp to it. Ford is trying to overcome some of that with the final drive ratios in the Bronco. However, the real killer is curb weight. My old 2 door JK had a curb weight of 3760lbs and the lightest Bronco comes in at 4319lbs. That is almost 560lbs heavier. I don't know if 50lb ft can overcome that weight, especially if running larger tires.

I want a base with the 7 speed. I really hope Ford offers the Ecoboost tune like they do with the Ranger. I want to run some decent 33 inch AT tires so nothing too crazy. I just hope that I'll be able to test drive the 4cyl/manual combination. I will not buy one without test driving one first. We will see.
Don’t forget the turbo scenario and where that torque is at with the 2.3. It may be similar in numbers but the torque curve (usually what the seat dyno feels) are nice and flat for a long ways.

Up until driving with a 10-speed, I have ALWAYS been able to squeeze better mileage out of a manual because I was shifting due to conditions, coasting to stop lights, etc. The 10-speed is a great transmission and does a lot of that now. The ONLY thing that worries me about the 7-speed are the top two gears being overdrive gears. It seems 7th may be a flat land gear and may have to do a double drop to 5th to pass. Maybe pull a 2-stroke dirt bike move and slip the clutch a bit to get into the turbo to pass.

OP
OP
RedHotLava

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My old 2 door JK had a curb weight of 3760lbs and the lightest Bronco comes in at 4319lbs. That is almost 560lbs heavier. I don't know if 50lb ft can overcome that weight, especially if running larger tires.
Agreed

JH1026

Black Diamond
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Yaris, 2016 Camry
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As for mileage with the Eco Boost, my 2016 F-150 has the 3.5. In level driving, at the speed limit with cruise control (cruise is a big factor in good mileage with the boost) I can easily get 30+ MPG. That said, in town in stop and go traffic, it gets mediocre V-8 type mileage. Average is about 191/2 to 20 combined.
I've also owned a 2016 F-150 with a 3.5L FX4 and never even got close to 30MPG's. Maybe if you looked at instantaneous MPGs going downhill doing 45mph. The best I ever got was 21 and some change, dead flat ground and cruise set to 63mph.

OP
OP
RedHotLava

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What am I missing? The sasquatch and manual can't be had together from the factory last I checked...
The question is how will the 4 banger manual handle heavier 35's and above, as far as power on and off road?

I'm planning on getting a 2 door.

Sponsored

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've also owned a 2016 F-150 with a 3.5L FX4 and never even got close to 30MPG's. Maybe if you looked at instantaneous MPGs going downhill doing 45mph. The best I ever got was 21 and some change, dead flat ground and cruise set to 63mph.
Mine is 2WD. What is your average MPG?

Blitzinger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think that the 2.7 will be well worth the upgrade. Awesome proven motor, and where I am going to keep my Bronco until it rots into the earth, I feel that the 2.3 will be working harder causing excessive ware on motor
This.

Also people should consider what they may add further down the road. May be harder to anticipate for some than others but I know one thing I'm definitely adding is a roof top tent and a fridge for overlanding. And the list of things I'll want will absolutely grow by the day which means more weight which means that 2.3 is going to be more and more stressed. So I'm going with 2.7

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was planning on getting the 2.7 which comes with the auto trans and unsure of tires, but leaning toward 33s or 35s. I know as a vehicle that will do most of its driving on streets/highways with some off roading on the side, I should look at smaller tires, but the OBX looks anemic to me next to the Badlands with 33s or any trim with Sasq. What kind of combined mileage would you expect the 2.7 with larger tires would get? And what are you looking to outfit your bronco with?

OP
OP
RedHotLava

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was running some numbers to try and get a feel for how the 2.3/7speed compared to my old JK. The 2.3L makes 50lb ft more than the 3.6L Pentastar but gives up 15hp to it. Ford is trying to overcome some of that with the final drive ratios in the Bronco. However, the real killer is curb weight. My old 2 door JK had a curb weight of 3760lbs and the lightest Bronco comes in at 4319lbs. That is almost 560lbs heavier. I don't know if 50lb ft can overcome that weight, especially if running larger tires.
My only experience and comparison to this are both of my 2005 Nissan Xterras.

Their curb weight reported back then was between 4,081 to 4,392 lbs depending on options, V6 @ 265 HP.

One has 33's on 3.36 gears.
The other has 35's on 4.56 gears, after market, both auto trans.

That engine tugs on both and I would definitely kick the other one up to 36 or 37 on the next round of tire purchasing. I'm confident in that engine.

I know the 2.3 is stated @ 270 HP stock, but again, I have no experience with it, so I appreciate your replies.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
RedHotLava

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

...adding is a roof top tent and a fridge for overlanding. And the list of things I'll want will absolutely grow by the day which means more weight which means that 2.3 is going to be more and more stressed. So I'm going with 2.7
Yeah, that's where my head is on this. On the fence, would like to know more about the tunes available for the 2.3, reliability, etc. before I say "screw it, get the 6"

JH1026

Black Diamond
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Yaris, 2016 Camry
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was planning on getting the 2.7 which comes with the auto trans and unsure of tires, but leaning toward 33s or 35s. I know as a vehicle that will do most of its driving on streets/highways with some off roading on the side, I should look at smaller tires, but the OBX looks anemic to me next to the Badlands with 33s or any trim with Sasq. What kind of combined mileage would you expect the 2.7 with larger tires would get? And what are you looking to outfit your bronco with?

I honestly have no idea which direction I'm going to go in. A Black Diamond with the 2.3L and a manual would do 99% of what I need it to do, but I don't want my Bronco to "just be enough". I do plan on utilizing the 3,500lb towing capacity, so I don't want buyers remorse with the engine. My second option is a Base with the Sasquatch and the 2.7L/auto. I have worries of the 2.3L sitting in boost more than it should if it turns larger tires. I think you have to benchmark Jeep for MPG's since we have no real information on that.

Ajfetterman

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado ZR2, 1991 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

JB93

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Here is an odd-er comparison. We have a 2013 Toyota Highland V6 that weighs about 4250lbs with 270hp/250lb torque (rounded). It pulls hard and will scoot from 0-60 in about 6.5 seconds. Bronco 2.3 is 270hp/310lb torque with 2dr weight similar to Highlander. I think it will be plenty of engine in 2dr configuration with 32/33 tires. I would go 2.7 for 2dr w/ SAS or any configuration of 4dr.

OP
OP
RedHotLava

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

https://www.motor1.com/reviews/439518/2021-ford-bronco-badlands-first-ride-review/

This video pretty much sums up why I'm going with the 2 door Bad Lands and 7spd. That thing looks great, watching the gear shifts almost make me well up. That 2.3 is more than capable and hopefully not much lift needed for 315's, I would even consider 305's if I couldnt sqeeze the 35's on.
Yeah, that's the video I was referring to about seeing it cruise around on 33's.

Dunno, still on the fence. I need to learn more about the 2.3 I and the tunes that will be available.

Also, I guess final numbers still are not out about final HP and Torque.
Sponsored

Last edited: