Sponsored

You seasoned Ford Guys: your opinion on the 2.3 Turbo?

OP
OP
RedHotLava

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Random side note, for a year or two that same generation Pathfinder (shared body on frame and bunch of other stuff) had an optional 5.6L V8. Holy balls it was fast. I'd wager the fastest "third row" SUV ever made. Loved the Xterra, drove them when I could! Worked for Nissan.
That model Pathfinder, those were tanks with tons of power. My coworker had one and let me drive it once in a while, I was jealous but was happy to be able to mod and build up my X, fun days then. Don't look at todays Pathfinder, you won't recognize it :(
Sponsored

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Durango of that time period most likely holds that record. 5.7 335 HP to the 5.6 310 HP of the Pathfinder. Not 100% sure, but the Hellcat Durango definitely holds that title today. 710 HP and 645 TQ.
Maybe, who knows. Might be close since I think the Durango weighs more. Didn't know they made a tuner Durango!
Don't look at todays Pathfinder, you won't recognize it :(
Yup I'm aware. I sold quite a few of them. I didn't much like the change but they did sell much better. I'm sad they discontinued the Xterra though, it was the closest thing to a real SUV/Jeep as Nissan had.

Last edited:

J_Meh_Cray_D

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silverado Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

100%.

My ideal build will be a Base 2-door MT + Sasquatch but only if the MT turns out to be possible with the Sasquatch package. Otherwise I'll just go aftermarket 17" wheels w/ 34" tires.

The first thing I did after I made my reservation was go to my local Ford dealer and test drive a Ranger. It was obvious from that drive that the 2.3L Bronco will have no issues pushing the 35s around. You won't be winning any drag races, but it has more than enough torque to do what you need it to.

The salesman said the 2.7L is a lovely engine but eats gas. Between that, the test drive of the 2.3L and the fact that the 2.7L can't be had with a stick makes the 2.3L an easy decision. I'll spend the money I save on an automatic 2.7L powertrain on mods to the 2.3L, but only if absolutely necessary.

My only concern with the 2.3L powertrain would be if I wanted a 4-door Sasquatch or 37" tires and knew I'd be carrying around four or five people with lots of gear, and maybe towing, regularly. But again, I think a 2.3L could handle this with proper shifting and mods.
I’m with you. Though I was very impressed with the 2.7, I want the manual. I do plan on 37” tires in a couple years because I like the clearance. But mostly because I think the 37” rubber is the ideal look on the 4-dr bronco. Of course it remains to be seen how feasible that will be on the Bronco suspension and what aftermarket brings to the table.

BruckinFonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GTI Sport MT, 1993 VW Corrado VR6 MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m with you. Though I was very impressed with the 2.7, I want the manual. I do plan on 37” tires in a couple years because I like the clearance. But mostly because I think the 37” rubber is the ideal look on the 4-dr bronco. Of course it remains to be seen how feasible that will be on the Bronco suspension and what aftermarket brings to the table.
A 4-door with 37s sounds perfect. I think the 2-door can get away with 33s, but 35s look ideal. I think 37s will really look ideal on the 4-door.
Sponsored