Sponsored

You think we could get Godzilla?

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Show the dyno chart
No it can’t I’ve driven plenty

from 18 wheelers down
VERY hard to find dyno's down near idle, but this is what I've been able to dig up over the years.

Stock 4BT

Ford Bronco You think we could get Godzilla? 4Bt%20dyno

Stock 6.2 LS

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

mild modded 5.0 (not 1000, but 1200 and @ the wheels, so need to add approx 15%)

Ford Bronco You think we could get Godzilla? 5.0%20LOW%20END%20TORQUE

2.7 eco (chart I made from a well known eco tuner dyno, I found down to 1500, I guessed at 1200 RPM torque, just to compare to 5.0 dyno I had)

Ford Bronco You think we could get Godzilla? 2.7%20ECO%20TORQUE%20CHART

LS7 headers/cam

Ford Bronco You think we could get Godzilla? LS7%20DYNO%20CAM_HEADER

Anyway, even a 6.2 (not big block) beats 4Bt stock for stock (360 vs 198 @ 1000 RPM). Yes, 4Bt can take tons of boost and power stock, but that only makes turbo lag worse. My contention has always been I don't want the non-linearity of a turbo motor in extreme rock crawling situations.

The ECO's do a great job minimizing turbo lag, but when you are in a situation like that video I just posted of me on that snow covered rock face. I had unequal traction that pulls me about 45 degrees off straight up, right into fresh snow. Unbelievably, it doesn't roll (being my junk is roll happy due to being 6200 lbs, that is very tall due to mog axles). A split second (actually an eternity compared to guys much quicker thinking than me :D ), I decided to do something about it, dump reverse and try to back up the hill (which again, unbelievably worked).

Not only did I not want a non-linear powertrain, but I didn't want nannies in the way of shifting instantly between fwd/rev (or worse yet, some traction/stability control trying intervene). I suspect the small Ecoboost motor (and manual trans combo) has at least some to due with broncobusters ability to control throttle. Your climbing a longer rock face and as RPM goes from 1500 to 3500 (lets say), torque changes non-linearly, and DRASTICALLY, without any more throttle input.

But don't get me wrong, love 4Bt's, they are very cool. Unfortunately, since I HATE Chebby, I would still take a 7.0 LS, which is about half the weight of a 4Bt all day long. The 4Bt will rule all day long in mileage though, so I understand the swaps in the past, compared to a big gas motor.
Sponsored

Last edited:

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

VERY hard to find dyno's down near idle, but this is what I've been able to dig up over the years.

Stock 4BT

Stock 6.2 LS

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

mild modded 5.0 (not 1000, but 1200 and @ the wheels, so need to add approx 15%)

2.7 eco (chart I made from a well known eco tuner dyno, I found down to 1500, I guessed at 1200 RPM torque, just to compare to 5.0 dyno I had)

LS7 headers/cam

Anyway, even a 6.2 (not big block) beats 4Bt stock for stock (360 vs 198 @ 1000 RPM). Yes, 4Bt can take tons of boost and power stock, but that only makes turbo lag worse. My contention has always been I don't want the non-linearity of a turbo motor in extreme rock crawling situations.

The ECO's do a great job minimizing turbo lag, but when you are in a situation like that video I just posted of me on that snow covered rock face. I had unequal traction that pulls me about 45 degrees off straight up, right into fresh snow. Unbelievably, it doesn't roll (being my junk is roll happy due to being 6200 lbs, that is very tall due to mog axles). A split second (actually an eternity compared to guys much quicker thinking than me), I decided to do something about it, dump reverse and try to back up hill (which again, unbelievably worked).

Not only did I not want a non-linear powertrain, but I didn't want nannies in the way of shifting instantly between fwd/rev (or worse yet, some traction/stability control trying intervene). I suspect the small Ecoboost motor 9and manual trans combo) has at some to due with broncobusters ability to control throttle. Your climbing a longer rock face and as RPM goes from 1500 to 3500 (lets say), torque changes non-linearly, and DRASTICALLY, without any more throttle input.

But don't get me wrong, love 4Bt's, they are very cool. Unfortunately, since I HATE Chebby, I would still take a 7.0 LS, which is about half the weight of a 4Bt all day long. The 4Bt will rule all day long in mileage though, so I understand the swaps in the past, compared to a big gas motor.
Video? I either don’t see it or skipped it
Love to see it

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I could idle around all day, never overheat and never hit the clutch in granny on a nv4500 and 2:1 np205 on 38.7 and 4.56 and burn a couple gallons at that rate all day

I don’t have any experience with gas turbo other than the wife’s JLU and it did well

Last edited:

r21free

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So far every v8 swap is on hold...So good luck putting anything in the bronco...And if im wrong please tell me who.I have a v8 swap just waiting for the computer modes!!!

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Video? I either don’t see it or skipped it
Love to see it
You asked for dynos and lost the argument.

No amount of video will show two of the exact same rigs (with the motors in question) on the exact same terrain, same exact build's, same gearing, same atmospheric conditions, doing exactly the same task, @ only 1000 RPM.

Sponsored

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

first attempt was 3rd, low
I had flash burned my eyes and rode in the Jeep as a passenger
This is/was old crawfish ponds used for mud drags

I was BBQ and asked to go drag them out

not enough HP or torque or rpm for third so I dropped it in 2nd
The Jeep and bronco tried to stop me after I got out buy brakes and putting it in drive

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I very highly doubt it. My source at ford said that even the 3.5 was “too big” for the platform. He didn’t specify why, crash safety, emissions, whatever but if the 3.5 is too big then a V8 is too big as well.
Didn’t Hennessy figure out how to stuff the 5.0?

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided