redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is why I don't like the word "power". It is to general a term for when people are tryin to compare a vehicle's performance.

Horsepower is the pull you feel at the high RPM's

Torque is the pull you feel leaving a red light/ low RPM's.

Kinda like the tortoise (torque) and the hare (horsepower) It's alllllll in the Jet Pack (joke):crackup:

Horsepower is for show ………. Torque will get you out of a pickle.

If you want to race someone on the highway. you want horsepower, wanna race in the city, torque is you savior.

Most off-road situations you would want torque. IMO

With lots of toque you don't need as much gear ratio. With horsepower you need lots of gear (trans and diff) to keep it in the "powerband" where it makes horsepower.

Just my thoughts on the whole thing. Take it for what it's worth. there are pros and cons to both, just like many arguments. (no I won't go there ! ):curse:
Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is why I don't like the word "power". It is to general a term for when people are tryin to compare a vehicle's performance.

Horsepower is the pull you feel at the high RPM's

Torque is the pull you feel leaving a red light/ low RPM's.

Kinda like the tortoise (torque) and the hare (horsepower) It's alllllll in the Jet Pack (joke):crackup:

Horsepower is for show ………. Torque will get you out of a pickle.

If you want to race someone on the highway. you want horsepower, wanna race in the city, torque is you savior.

Most off-road situations you would want torque. IMO

With lots of toque you don't need as much gear ratio. With horsepower you need lots of gear (trans and diff) to keep it in the "powerband" where it makes horsepower.

Just my thoughts on the whole thing. Take it for what it's worth. there are pros and cons to both, just like many arguments. (no I won't go there ! ):curse:
that’s why I think it’s stupid When people compare the 2.3eb to most of the v6s out there and say it’s weak.
270hp vs 300hp. But yet the torque is 310 vs 250 i would much rather have all that torque!

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

that’s why I think it’s stupid When people compare the 2.3eb to most of the v6s out there and say it’s weak.
270hp vs 300hp. But yet the torque is 310 vs 250 i would much rather have all that torque!
Exactly !!!! :clap: And with all this fancy stuff today you can add a few parts and a hot tune and build even better torque and add a few ponies along the way. (pun intended):like:

Plus all the torque is down low in the RPM range where you will be at most of the time anyway. Who drives down the road at 6000 RPM ????

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
however, look at the true on idle torque, the V6 is higher. the I4 does need the turbos to spool a bit. after that the I4 makes more due to straights being torqier than V's. (hence the ole 300 I6 being a torque beast as compared to the 302 and 351Ws in the 1/2 tons of the era.)

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

however, look at the true on idle torque, the V6 is higher. the I4 does need the turbos to spool a bit. after that the I4 makes more due to straights being torqier than V's. (hence the ole 300 I6 being a torque beast as compared to the 302 and 351Ws in the 1/2 tons of the era.)

same way in the 50's it was all about the straight 8 gobs of torque to get those land barges moving !!

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Most people are so used to the delay from turbo motors these days, they don't even know
what they are not getting. It's really only technical rock crawling or road course use
(and sometimes getting on steep ramp trailers in the snow or rain) where that immediate and
VERY linear throttle response is really needed.

Maybe the new RWD 10 speeds are better, but every once in a while my Fusion gets confused
about what it thought I wanted to do and it becomes an absolute slug being caught out of boost.
Something like you were going to get into it out of the hole at a light and beat the guy next to you across
an intersection, but 15 feet into it , you think guy across from you might turn left in front if you, so you back off.
Split second later, it becomes apparent the guy is not making the left, so you get back into it.

NA engines just take over and do what they do. EB's usually get back into it pretty quick, especially since
you are moving already and have some revs. But every once in a while, the whole thing gets confused and
it's like it bangs the wg fully open and you get nothing for a second (or two even sometimes). I guess it could
be partially over active torque nannies/traction control also (but no TC light ever comes on, like it does sometimes
on lightly aggressive, but bumpy turns).

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Most people are so used to the delay from turbo motors these days, they don't even know
what they are not getting. It's really only technical rock crawling or road course use
(and sometimes getting on steep ramp trailers in the snow or rain) where that immediate and
VERY linear throttle response is really needed.

Maybe the new RWD 10 speeds are better, but every once in a while my Fusion gets confused
about what it thought I wanted to do and it becomes an absolute slug being caught out of boost.
Something like you were going to get into it out of the hole at a light and beat the guy next to you across
an intersection, but 15 feet into it , you think guy across from you might turn left in front if you, so you back off.
Split second later, it becomes apparent the guy is not making the left, so you get back into it.

NA engines just take over and do what they do. EB's usually get back into it pretty quick, especially since
you are moving already and have some revs. But every once in a while, the whole thing gets confused and
it's like it bangs the wg fully open and you get nothing for a second (or two even sometimes). I guess it could
be partially over active torque nannies/traction control also (but no TC light ever comes on, like it does sometimes
on lightly aggressive, but bumpy turns).
I've driven some newer turbo motors, they are leagues better than the old turbos where you could count 5 seconds between hitting the throttle and getting some good response. Technical rock crawling and mudding are my intended uses for the Bronco, so that true off idle torque is exactly what I need. Since a 2dr will be a 5th vehicle and simply there for a toy and hunting, I may actually consider doing a V8 swap if its in the 10-15k range. I would prefer the 7.3 for that but that likely wont fit front to back. would be the 5.0 which has a lot more top end than I would ever need.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I've driven some newer turbo motors, they are leagues better than the old turbos where you could count 5 seconds between hitting the throttle and getting some good response. Technical rock crawling and mudding are my intended uses for the Bronco, so that true off idle torque is exactly what I need. Since a 2dr will be a 5th vehicle and simply there for a toy and hunting, I may actually consider doing a V8 swap if its in the 10-15k range. I would prefer the 7.3 for that but that likely wont fit front to back. would be the 5.0 which has a lot more top end than I would ever need.
I've posted datalog info off my 2.7 EB, and it is still about a second to reach full boost. Yes, better than old, but an eternity compared to the new 7.3
I'm going to guess. Not sure if you are buying new, but I don't understand buying anything newer than at least 5 years old to completely rip it
apart for a new drivetrain (unless you just have money dripping out, in which case have at it). Myself, it will probably be a wrecked one for me, allowing
me to get what I really wanted without the big upfront cost.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've posted datalog info off my 2.7 EB, and it is still about a second to reach full boost. Yes, better than old, but an eternity compared to the new 7.3
I'm going to guess. Not sure if you are buying new, but I don't understand buying anything newer than at least 5 years old to completely rip it
apart for a new drivetrain (unless you just have money dripping out, in which case have at it). Myself, it will probably be a wrecked one for me, allowing
me to get what I really wanted without the big upfront cost.
because I do not feel like waiting 5-10 years for a 2021-2023 2dr Bronco. If I were looking for an engine swap on a Mustang for example, yeah, I'd by a 15-18 model year for less than half of a '20. But for a brand new vehicle, getting a couple year old model isn't an option for a few years. quite frankly, I don't want to be getting these toys at 45-50, I'd rather be getting them at 40.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
OK, I'll be waiting intently on your swap then if you will be blazing the trail.
Hopefully a 7.3 control pack comes out quick. The swap interest on this motor
is strong on many fronts (stangs, old broncos, tow rigs, those generally tired of
hearing "just put an LS in it") already..............

Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OK, I'll be waiting intently on your swap then if you will be blazing the trail.
Hopefully a 7.3 control pack comes out quick. The swap interest on this motor
is strong on many fronts (stangs, old broncos, tow rigs, those generally tired of
hearing "just put an LS in it") already..............
I would never LS a Ford. I have a 460 stroker in my 82, and plan to put another 500ci+ 460 stroker into my 71 mach 1 as well.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I want to put the Godzilla in a Marauder. That would be amazeballs.
dream car right there. Godzilla 10speed Marauder. Stealth mode!

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I would never LS a Ford. I have a 460 stroker in my 82, and plan to put another 500ci+ 460 stroker into my 71 mach 1 as well.
Unfortunately, the rest of the world doesn't agree. My coworker is part owner of this side business
and doing really well.............. https://www.psiconversion.com/

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
dream car right there. Godzilla 10speed Marauder. Stealth mode!
Always wanted a Maroon Marauder, pretty rare color...........

My dad passed away last fall and I inherited his LTD (which I mostly built), same concept............

20180514_190859.jpg

20180514_190822.jpg

20180514_191039.jpg
Sponsored