First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford Escape '09 Mercury Mariner
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
One of my greatest attributes is suggesting ways on how to spend other people's money.
The Ford Motor Company is America's historic V8 motor company, having continuously produced them for 88 years and counting. Yes it's true the Chevy small block is the mill of choice for many rodders and builders, but there is a wealth of engineering prowess in Dearborn as evidenced by the growing popularity of Ford's crate engines, which I hope will thrive long into the electrification of personal transport.
Here's a way:
What I am suggesting is a clean sheet hybrid electric vehicle (HEV) powertrain for more spirited applications, not to be confused with the battery electric Mach-E. this would consist of an aluminum 60º V8 engine block of around 2.6-2.8 litters. mated to a system from, or like, the Explorer's hybrid. A 60º vee would allow more compact packaging. The narrower intake manifold would not accommodate long intake runners for better torque, but that's where the hybrid stuff comes in. The V8 could be rated at a conservative 260-280hp normally aspirated, and the electric motor lifted out of the Explorer and rated at 35Kw (47hp) would fill out the power at all speeds. I would hope for a combined 26mpg with the 10-spd auto.
The MSRP for an Explorer Limited Hybrid (only hybrid trim) is a cool $56,315 before current rebates. Yikes! But put together a smaller and greatly decontented Bronco starting trim, I would hope for an MSRP in the mid to upper $40s or less. Why a V8? There's a lot of us Boomers out here that are still in the market for a V8-something with less overall size than an F-150 and easier to get in and out of than a Mustang GT. A lot of us are sitting with 6-to 7-figure net worth, and and are ready to write the check for a V-by-God-and-Henry Ford-Eight, no matter the displacement.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Most people are so used to the delay from turbo motors these days, they don't even know
what they are not getting. It's really only technical rock crawling or road course use
(and sometimes getting on steep ramp trailers in the snow or rain) where that immediate and
VERY linear throttle response is really needed.

Maybe the new RWD 10 speeds are better, but every once in a while my Fusion gets confused
about what it thought I wanted to do and it becomes an absolute slug being caught out of boost.
Something like you were going to get into it out of the hole at a light and beat the guy next to you across
an intersection, but 15 feet into it , you think guy across from you might turn left in front if you, so you back off.
Split second later, it becomes apparent the guy is not making the left, so you get back into it.

NA engines just take over and do what they do. EB's usually get back into it pretty quick, especially since
you are moving already and have some revs. But every once in a while, the whole thing gets confused and
it's like it bangs the wg fully open and you get nothing for a second (or two even sometimes). I guess it could
be partially over active torque nannies/traction control also (but no TC light ever comes on, like it does sometimes
on lightly aggressive, but bumpy turns).

Turbo needs to "spool" up before making boost, Hard to do this with a manual trans but with an auto you can "two" foot it. One foot on the brake and one on the gas so the engine comes up off idle and starts to make boost. This is also why two smaller turbos are better than one big one, it comes into boost sooner/ "spools" up faster. On big powers diesel trucks you will see a BIG turbo fed by a smaller turbo for the same reason, the smaller one "lights" the bigger one/ helps the big one "spool" up, so you can have your boost sooner.

Sponsored

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
One of my greatest attributes is suggesting ways on how to spend other people's money.
The Ford Motor Company is America's historic V8 motor company, having continuously produced them for 88 years and counting. Yes it's true the Chevy small block is the mill of choice for many rodders and builders, but there is a wealth of engineering prowess in Dearborn as evidenced by the growing popularity of Ford's crate engines, which I hope will thrive long into the electrification of personal transport.
Here's a way:
What I am suggesting is a clean sheet hybrid electric vehicle (HEV) powertrain for more spirited applications, not to be confused with the battery electric Mach-E. this would consist of an aluminum 60º V8 engine block of around 2.6-2.8 litters. mated to a system from, or like, the Explorer's hybrid. A 60º vee would allow more compact packaging. The narrower intake manifold would not accommodate long intake runners for better torque, but that's where the hybrid stuff comes in. The V8 could be rated at a conservative 260-280hp normally aspirated, and the electric motor lifted out of the Explorer and rated at 35Kw (47hp) would fill out the power at all speeds. I would hope for a combined 26mpg with the 10-spd auto.
The MSRP for an Explorer Limited Hybrid (only hybrid trim) is a cool $56,315 before current rebates. Yikes! But put together a smaller and greatly decontented Bronco starting trim, I would hope for an MSRP in the mid to upper $40s or less. Why a V8? There's a lot of us Boomers out here that are still in the market for a V8-something with less overall size than an F-150 and easier to get in and out of than a Mustang GT. A lot of us are sitting with 6-to 7-figure net worth, and and are ready to write the check for a V-by-God-and-Henry Ford-Eight, no matter the displacement.
I've been wanting this from Ford for a while... but 280hp? Come on man, you gotta have higher aspirations than that! Remember, displacement doesn't tell the full story. Give me a big bore short stroke 3L V8 that revs to 11k paired with a hybrid motor for over 500hp, and mate it to a 6 speed close ratio manual trans (rear mounted transaxle for the Mustang). Now THAT would be incredible! Pipe dream, I know. But I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Randy92Fox

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've been wanting this from Ford for a while... but 280hp? Come on man, you gotta have higher aspirations than that! Remember, displacement doesn't tell the full story. Give me a big bore short stroke 3L V8 that revs to 11k paired with a hybrid motor for over 500hp, and mate it to a 6 speed close ratio manual trans (rear mounted transaxle for the Mustang). Now THAT would be incredible! Pipe dream, I know. But I'd buy it in a heartbeat!
Conversely I'd be fine with a 280 hp v8 that makes 400 lb-ft of torque and only revs to 6500 or 7000 lol. I've never owned a vehicle with more HP than TQ (excluding motorcycles).

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Conversely I'd be fine with a 280 hp v8 that makes 400 lb-ft of torque and only revs to 6500 or 7000 lol. I've never owned a vehicle with more HP than TQ (excluding motorcycles).
Screen that. I want a 4500 rpm 650 Ftlb 300hp diesel or big block!

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I suggest driving a Ferrari someday... it's quite fun

Sponsored

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I suggest driving a Ferrari someday... it's quite fun
I drove a 458 on a track in Vegas. Honestly, it was definitely fun, and handled really nicely but I prefer the torquey punch of my LS7 corvette off of a corner over the slightly stronger top end pull of the Ferrari.

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I drove a 458 on a track in Vegas. Honestly, it was definitely fun, and handled really nicely but I prefer the torquey punch of my LS7 corvette off of a corner over the slightly stronger top end pull of the Ferrari.
Hey, to each their own I suppose. I get bored with low end torque on the streets, and it can become an annoyance on track. Having a more top-happy engine allows me to dig into the throttle earlier on corner exit without worrying about roasting the tires as much. I just prefer the rocketship-esque feel of a continuous pull to ridiculously high RPM rather than a grunt at the very beginning of throttle application and nothing afterward.

Then again, I've always dreamed of DOHC LS7s in C6Zs and dropping DOHC V8s into Vipers...

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hey, to each their own I suppose. I get bored with low end torque on the streets, and it can become an annoyance on track. Having a more top-happy engine allows me to dig into the throttle earlier on corner exit without worrying about roasting the tires as much. I just prefer the rocketship-esque feel of a continuous pull to ridiculously high RPM rather than a grunt at the very beginning of throttle application and nothing afterward.

Then again, I've always dreamed of DOHC LS7s in C6Zs and dropping DOHC V8s into Vipers...
Yeah, it's totally personal preference. I wouldn't want something where torque drops off towards redline in a track car either, a lot of modern turbo engines have that problem, you're sometimes better off short shifting them. I'd just be willing to trade a bit of the top end of the Ferrari for a bit more midrange torque (which would make it more like the LS7 - flat torque curve almost all the way up to the 7100rpm limiter). Just makes it a bit more flexible on the track. I'm sure the new turbo Ferraris don't have any such issues with Torque though!

I understand the appeal of the build and build in power for sure, my ZX-6R is like that. 16k redline and just more and more power all the way up to it. It is a heck of a thrill on on-ramps, etc.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Turbo needs to "spool" up before making boost, Hard to do this with a manual trans but with an auto you can "two" foot it. One foot on the brake and one on the gas so the engine comes up off idle and starts to make boost. This is also why two smaller turbos are better than one big one, it comes into boost sooner/ "spools" up faster. On big powers diesel trucks you will see a BIG turbo fed by a smaller turbo for the same reason, the smaller one "lights" the bigger one/ helps the big one "spool" up, so you can have your boost sooner.
Not when you are already moving, getting on/off the gas, and the whole control system (including auto trans shifting) gets confused.
Then, sometimes, you get nothing..............

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford Escape '09 Mercury Mariner
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I was thinking of packaging, primarily. There isn't going to be the same room under the hood of the Bronco as there is in an F-150. To get a wider big bore motor to develop 420-460 hp (the rest coming from the electric motor) you would need to have to turbocharge or supercharge, or have an even larger normally aspirated ICE. The 60º V8 would be hobbled bybeing normally aspirated and needing a balance shaft, but should should package well with the electric hardware, transfer case, etc.
Sponsored