First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Personally I rather have a reasonable size NA engine for offroad than a hairdryer engine. You want good torque off idle not in the 4000-5000 rpm range. Ford is playing the same HP game as everyone else, Small displacement turbo motor, with no boost at low rpm uses little fuel, high rpm boost pumps torque numbers up (subsequently gives large hp numbers for the ad execs) and sucks fuel.
The 2.3 is at 2500 rpm before its making 150 lb ft torque, its at 3000 before making peak torque but its flat to 5000 rpm.
The old 3.8 low tech V-6 put out 215 lbâ‹…ft at 2400, I would prefer this in a offroader.
Turbos and electronic trannys make the Bronco more complicated than I would like.

Reactions: OX1

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey, to each their own I suppose.
. I just prefer the rocketship-esque feel of a continuous pull to ridiculously high RPM

LOL, That reminds me of the ZX-7 I had in around 93-97 while I was in the Marines.
I still long to feel that buzz through the grips as that thing is trying to accelerate out from under you.
Ford Bronco You think we could get Godzilla? 1583088668252

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it hasn't brought up yet: Aluminum Godzilla, the light weight monster!

Yeah, solution to the weight problem

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Should ask, anyone have any idea how much weight might be saved making an aluminator Godzilla?

Sponsored

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Should ask, anyone have any idea how much weight might be saved making an aluminator Godzilla?
A quick google search tells me that there is an ~80 lb difference between an aluminum and cast iron LS block.

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A quick google search tells me that there is an ~80 lb difference between an aluminum and cast iron LS block.
Still 80lbs less

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Still 80lbs less
Oh yeah for sure, just filling in the blanks.

It's funny, though, because Ford recently released an iron Coyote block for higher power applications. So maybe they'll do an aluminum Godzilla, who knows!

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh yeah for sure, just filling in the blanks.

It's funny, though, because Ford recently released an iron Coyote block for higher power applications. So maybe they'll do an aluminum Godzilla, who knows!
I'd save for it

gtx_bronc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i dont know if it has been mentioned in here yet, but one strong appeals of the godzilla motor is how much more narrow it is than a coyote. Something like 4-5 inches.
A godzilla in the Bronco would be amazing but i doubt that would ever happen. A rev happy coyote? No thanks, they are gutless on the bottom end......but lord they are fun when they are twisted up past 5k.

Sponsored

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Personally I rather have a reasonable size NA engine for offroad than a hairdryer engine. You want good torque off idle not in the 4000-5000 rpm range. Ford is playing the same HP game as everyone else, Small displacement turbo motor, with no boost at low rpm uses little fuel, high rpm boost pumps torque numbers up (subsequently gives large hp numbers for the ad execs) and sucks fuel.
The 2.3 is at 2500 rpm before its making 150 lb ft torque, its at 3000 before making peak torque but its flat to 5000 rpm.
The old 3.8 low tech V-6 put out 215 lbâ‹…ft at 2400, I would prefer this in a offroader.
Turbos and electronic trannys make the Bronco more complicated than I would like.
What engine idles at 2400?
Wouldn’t idle be 700-1000?
Turbo diesel such as the 4bt and 6bt actually have idle torque. Which is what you need in an off-road vehicle. Torque.
I’ve pulled two stuck vehicles out in 2nd at about 1000rpm with a 4bt… 105hp 265tq

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i dont know if it has been mentioned in here yet, but one strong appeals of the godzilla motor is how much more narrow it is than a coyote. Something like 4-5 inches.
A godzilla in the Bronco would be amazing but i doubt that would ever happen. A rev happy coyote? No thanks, they are gutless on the bottom end......but lord they are fun when they are twisted up past 5k.
The Godzilla doesn’t come onto its torque until like 4K (in stock truck form). I’ve got the Godzilla in my Tremor and it’s a fun motor. I came off a 3.5EB so I had to get used to letting the motor eat to get to the torque. It is indeed a small package.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The Godzilla doesn’t come onto its torque until like 4K (in stock truck form). I’ve got the Godzilla in my Tremor and it’s a fun motor. I came off a 3.5EB so I had to get used to letting the motor eat to get to the torque. It is indeed a small package.
It's extremely difficult to make these low-rpm power comparisons, as dyno results at low RPM are highly dependent on how the operator loads the dyno, especially with turbo engines that need to spool.

That being said, the Godzilla is making 370+ft-lb by 2250rpm. The 3.5 EcoBoost is still spooling and is making 200-250ft-lb at 2250rpm.

Ford Bronco You think we could get Godzilla? 1642602836715

Ford Bronco You think we could get Godzilla? 1642602848674

Because the 3.5 spools up and makes a ton of torque and then tapers off as revs rise, it feels like a very torquey engine - you feel a rush and ride the wave. The 7.3 makes even more torque down low, but power continues to climb through the rev range. This is why it feels like you need to rev it - because power continues to climb. But the power was already there.

The rest of the difference you feel is likely due to being in a different platform - the 7.3 probably has to move an extra 1000lbs. through heavier drivetrain components, wheels, and tires, so it's never going to feel as peppy.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I did a bunch of research back in the early 2000 and couldn’t find any gas motor that made good useable torque at or off idle
Yep, it's why torque converters exist. It doesn't matter what the engine is making at 1100rpm if your converter flashes to 2000.
Sponsored