Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep, it's why torque converters exist. It doesn't matter what the engine is making at 1100rpm if your converter flashes to 2000.
I had an custom 950 stall with a 4l80e and 4bt

it pulled like crazy at idle

I have old videos of it and I still remember standing on the brakes off road to stop it
Sponsored

gtx_bronc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Godzilla doesn’t come onto its torque until like 4K (in stock truck form). I’ve got the Godzilla in my Tremor and it’s a fun motor. I came off a 3.5EB so I had to get used to letting the motor eat to get to the torque. It is indeed a small package.
I dont want to argue, but every dyno sheet i have seen from a godzilla showed torque coming on like a beast around 2500 and peaking around 4k. Never seen one much less driven one so /shrug
More importantly you just cant replace the sound of a small block V8 with good exhaust

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's extremely difficult to make these low-rpm power comparisons, as dyno results at low RPM are highly dependent on how the operator loads the dyno, especially with turbo engines that need to spool.

That being said, the Godzilla is making 370+ft-lb by 2250rpm. The 3.5 EcoBoost is still spooling and is making 200-250ft-lb at 2250rpm.

Because the 3.5 spools up and makes a ton of torque and then tapers off as revs rise, it feels like a very torquey engine - you feel a rush and ride the wave. The 7.3 makes even more torque down low, but power continues to climb through the rev range. This is why it feels like you need to rev it - because power continues to climb. But the power was already there.

The rest of the difference you feel is likely due to being in a different platform - the 7.3 probably has to move an extra 1000lbs. through heavier drivetrain components, wheels, and tires, so it's never going to feel as peppy.
Oh no doubt. It’s just adjusting from a FA to a NA motor. The 7.3 pulls like a freight train and reminds me of the V10’s of how the power comes on. I made the conscious choice to get a 7.3. My only point this whole time with people dogging EB motors is that they haven’t driven them. Needing enormous torque in low end wheeling? I’ve seen Toyota 22R/RE’s do plenty well in rock crawling.

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I dont want to argue, but every dyno sheet i have seen from a godzilla showed torque coming on like a beast around 2500 and peaking around 4k. Never seen one much less driven one so /shrug
More importantly you just cant replace the sound of a small block V8 with good exhaust
*Big Block…..

As pointed out, the 7.3 doesn’t really “come on like a beast”. It’s very tame through the 10-speed until you want. Then it’s pulling hard all the way to red line.

gtx_bronc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

*Big Block…..

As pointed out, the 7.3 doesn’t really “come on like a beast”. It’s very tame through the 10-speed until you want. Then it’s pulling hard all the way to red line.
ok dude, but when a torque goes vertical across 500 rpms then flat for 3500 that is torque coming on strong.....or as i put it like a beast. Clearly you disagree and i respect your right to be wrong.

Sponsored

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ok dude, but when a torque goes vertical across 500 rpms then flat for 3500 that is torque coming on strong.....or as i put it like a beast. Clearly you disagree and i respect your right to be wrong.
I’m not saying the dyno (or you) is wrong, just the seat of my pants while driving mine. The transmission applies that torque well enough that you don’t really feel it.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I did a bunch of research back in the early 2000 and couldn’t find any gas motor that made good useable torque at or off idle
Why, because you are 15 and never drove a non electronic throttle, big block, man trans that could lugged down to idle if you wanted, or you just couldn't find any off idle dyno charts?

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Oh no doubt. It’s just adjusting from a FA to a NA motor. The 7.3 pulls like a freight train and reminds me of the V10’s of how the power comes on. I made the conscious choice to get a 7.3. My only point this whole time with people dogging EB motors is that they haven’t driven them. Needing enormous torque in low end wheeling? I’ve seen Toyota 22R/RE’s do plenty well in rock crawling.
The issue is tractability. They don't have any. Even a 22R, you know how much power you are getting at any throttle input. EB's, you get nothing followed by immense torque, too late. 99% won't care, they won't ever do anything on the edge were you want minor throttle/power inputs in a linear fashion.

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the 7.3 and it’s dimensionally smaller than the 5.0 Coyote. I will say, it sounds like a bread truck. It doesn’t have the hum or exhaust note that’s super sexy.

E. Davis

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Velocity Blue
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Sure would be nice if they gave us something similar in the 4-5L range though.
Displacement wise, a 2.3L at sea level with about 15 pounds of boost is *roughly* equivalent to a NA 4.6L. And the 2.7L at sea level with about 15 pounds of boost is *roughly* equivalent to a 5.4L. This is speaking in terms of displacement / capacity to ingest air-fuel vs a NA engine.

Sponsored

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why, because you are 15 and never drove a non electronic throttle, big block, man trans that could lugged down to idle if you wanted, or you just couldn't find any off idle dyno charts?
Little boy, there was no internet when I started.

and show some big block man trans pulling a load at 800 rpm and no pedal and not stall

I’ll wait

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Little boy, there was no internet when I started.

and show some big block man trans pulling a load at 800 rpm and no pedal and not stall

I’ll wait
So you didn't start driving until you were 50 then?? A 300 inline 6 ford could pull a house down off idle, with T-18/435.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Displacement wise, a 2.3L at sea level with about 15 pounds of boost is *roughly* equivalent to a NA 4.6L. And the 2.7L at sea level with about 15 pounds of boost is *roughly* equivalent to a 5.4L. This is speaking in terms of displacement / capacity to ingest air-fuel vs a NA engine.
Considering where the fuel economy ended up, it certainly doesn't seem like there's any good reason not to offer the Godzilla (or some more modest NA engine option).

With the 392 out there soaking up dollars the market for it seems proven.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Baby Godzilla (6.5L ????) is a more likely candidate that the 7.3L Godzilla.

And to answer the question about earlier NA's with a lot of torque off idle..... the 460C.I. Big Block in my 1977 F250 (even with the C6 AT and 3.08 Ring &Pinion) would still take off from a dead stop fully loaded with only taking my foot off of the brakes.

Now back to the Godzilla Engines.... They are designed already with everything that they need to easily accept FI. There are Bolt-On Turbos already producing North of 1000HP & Torque. Just do some looking around on YouTube.....
Sponsored