First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Let me preface this by saying I am currently a Sales Consultant at Vanderhyde Ford in Cedar Springs, Michigan. I've been following this forum and Bronco Facebook groups since the announcement of the Bronco. One theme that I see consistently come up is that people have serious concerns about finding a 'good' dealership to work with. I thought I would post my two cents for whatever it is worth.

I have worked for 2 separate family owned Ford Dealers for the last 6-7 years. Prior to this I worked at a private repair facility. My thoughts about dealerships were likely similar to many of you, meaning that you expected to be taken advantage of. In my 10 or so years in the automotive world I have been both in service and in sales so here are my two cents about choosing a dealership.

- A lot of dealers are owned and operated by a local single family/owner
- Most of the sales and service people live in possibly even the same neighborhood as you
- When you bring your vehicle in for service, if you are a customer that purchased from them you likely will receive better/quicker service because of that fact
- Relationship matters; if something does happen to your vehicle you can call/text/email someone that has some stake in the game

What I want to get across is that we all understand that price matters. We know there are dealers that will Mark Up these vehicles and take advantage of people. There are a lot of dealerships that won't. There are a lot of salespeople excited about this vehicle not because they feel like it will be an opportunity to make money, but because they are genuinely excited about the product. There are dealers that will explain Plan pricing structures etc... This is the type of dealership I work for and that is the type of dealership I hope that you can all find. A place where you don't become a number but you can walk into the sales or service department and the staff knows you by name. I would love for everyone to come buy their Bronco from me, but I recommend you build relationship with someone at your local dealership that cares not just about the sale but about the relationship.
Sponsored

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Let me preface this by saying I am currently a Sales Consultant at Vanderhyde Ford in Cedar Springs, Michigan. I've been following this forum and Bronco Facebook groups since the announcement of the Bronco. One theme that I see consistently come up is that people have serious concerns about finding a 'good' dealership to work with. I thought I would post my two cents for whatever it is worth.

I have worked for 2 separate family owned Ford Dealers for the last 6-7 years. Prior to this I worked at a private repair facility. My thoughts about dealerships were likely similar to many of you, meaning that you expected to be taken advantage of. In my 10 or so years in the automotive world I have been both in service and in sales so here are my two cents about choosing a dealership.

- A lot of dealers are owned and operated by a local single family/owner
- Most of the sales and service people live in possibly even the same neighborhood as you
- When you bring your vehicle in for service, if you are a customer that purchased from them you likely will receive better/quicker service because of that fact
- Relationship matters; if something does happen to your vehicle you can call/text/email someone that has some stake in the game

What I want to get across is that we all understand that price matters. We know there are dealers that will Mark Up these vehicles and take advantage of people. There are a lot of dealerships that won't. There are a lot of salespeople excited about this vehicle not because they feel like it will be an opportunity to make money, but because they are genuinely excited about the product. There are dealers that will explain Plan pricing structures etc... This is the type of dealership I work for and that is the type of dealership I hope that you can all find. A place where you don't become a number but you can walk into the sales or service department and the staff knows you by name. I would love for everyone to come buy their Bronco from me, but I recommend you build relationship with someone at your local dealership that cares not just about the sale but about the relationship.
I agree with this. I've been with the same dealership since 2003, they are family owned, most employees have been there for many years. Any issues I've ever had have been taken care of promptly. I can count on things like a free loaner vehicle while mine is being serviced. I've purchased 11 vehicles there and helped my Sister with 2. The process has always been easy and fast.

Massbronco

Badlands
First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well stated and often overlooked. In my experience at a family dealership, the relationship is especially important when navigating new products and processes. This ordering process is totally different and will require personalized attention that not all dealerships will be able to offer. From a service standpoint, let's face it, there are sometimes some minor product and warranty issues that need to be addressed with new models.You'll want a priority relationship with your local dealer service department. I hope the product does well and gives local dealerships the chance to build relationships with new customers.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree with buying local, for everything, but will go further for less hassle and significant savings.
Why do I have to be 'in the club' to get better/faster service? This is a great way to turn away new customers. When I worked retail, all customers got the best service I could give. Remember, everyone starts out as a first time customer.

OP
OP
Jakko13

Jakko13

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I agree that everyone starts off as a first time customer, I guess what I'm saying is if 2 customers bring in the same vehicle at the same time. One spent 45k buying their vehicle here the other didn't. Who do you think will get pulled in first? We aren't going to give you bad service, we are loyal to those who are loyal to us.

No matter what any dealer says we all purchase for the same price. Your local dealer will probably work with you on price. We understand that price matters. My dealership tries to be fair, allow us to make just a little money and we will give you the best deal we can.

I agree with buying local, for everything, but will go further for less hassle and significant savings.
Why do I have to be 'in the club' to get better/faster service? This is a great way to turn away new customers. When I worked retail, all customers got the best service I could give. Remember, everyone starts out as a first time customer.

Sponsored

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If 2 customers bring in the same vehicle at the same time. One spent 45k buying their vehicle here the other didn't. Who do you think will get pulled in first?

The first one in the service door...
I am taking it you are asking a quesiton on dealership habits...
We use to do business that way and it did not bode well for repeat service and overall business...

Your local dealer will probably work with you on price.

Exactly and everyone should give the local dealership a chance...

fltechpilot

Badlands
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Audi S3 1984 Porsche 928S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm all for supporting the local dealer. Until they pull a stunt like telling me there will be no ADM on broncos prior to reservation. And after I've made my reservation with them then telling me that there is no ADM AT THIS TIME but they can't be sure about ADM until ordering time. It's widespread practices like this by people's local dealers that are pushing them away.

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree that everyone starts off as a first time customer, I guess what I'm saying is if 2 customers bring in the same vehicle at the same time. One spent 45k buying their vehicle here the other didn't. Who do you think will get pulled in first? We aren't going to give you bad service, we are loyal to those who are loyal to us.

No matter what any dealer says we all purchase for the same price. Your local dealer will probably work with you on price. We understand that price matters. My dealership tries to be fair, allow us to make just a little money and we will give you the best deal we can.
So, you're saying that anyone who hasn't bent the knee and purchased a vehicle from you receives second tier service.

Yeah...thanks, but no thanks, bruh! :mad:

OP
OP
Jakko13

Jakko13

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not saying that. I'm saying if you have an established relationship it can make it easier.

So, you're saying that anyone who hasn't bent the knee and purchased a vehicle from you receives second tier service.

Yeah...thanks, but no thanks, bruh! :mad:

Sponsored

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but...

Some of our opinions are based on past experiences. Here are a few of my own:

1) As a woman who worked in high tech sales for years, my BS meter is pretty sharp and when I walk into a car dealership, it's usually pegged. Over the years, I've learned that many salespeople assume they can take advantage of women because they think we don't know what we're doing or are too afraid to speak up when we know we're getting screwed. It's the same when I take my car in for service.

2) If I take a guy friend with me, the whole tone is different. Respectful, not pandering. The salespeople talk to him like he's an equal. They assume they can't bullshit him. They assume I'm a target for whatever they can get away with. By the way, I HATE resorting to borrowing a man to bring with me for major purchases.

3) The last time I bought a new car, I went to pick it up and they put me in a room with a guy who was so strung out on cocaine his eyes were bugging out of his head. He closed the door and the pressure was on for me to add everything extra this guy had to sell: clear coat, extended maintenance agreements, you name it. And he wouldn't take no for an answer. I stood my ground and didn't buy anything from him, but it took me an hour to get out of his office. I couldn't just walk because he had the final paperwork and the keys to my new car.

4) The dealership gave me a year of free oil changes. The first time I brought it in, as I was driving home, the tire light came on signaling that the air was low. I called the dealer and talked to the guy at the service desk and he said it was "just because it was hot out." The next day, it was still on so I took it to a tire place down the street that I had worked with in the past. They looked at it and said an expensive electronic part was burned out. I told them the car was just three months old, and they said the part that controls that light was much older than three months. That light is still on, because I did not want to pay a couple hundred bucks for a replacement part that apparently my dealership service guy swapped out during the oil change.

5) Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I brought the car back three months later for another oil change. This time, I got it back with a scrape on the roof. When I asked about it, they denied any knowledge. I would have noticed the scrape: I see the top of my car every time I get in it. So no more free oil changes from that place...I don't trust them with my car.

6) Soooo...another place for oil changes. They broke the housing on my GPS. I asked them about it immediately when I picked up the car and they said they didn't know anything about it. I emailed the company and they never responded. I called the manager and he said it wasn't them. Well, obviously, someone took the car out for a spin and didn't realize you just have to press down on the GPS to get it to pop up. They must have pried it open and snapped the clasp.

My car still has that tire light on, the scrape on the roof, and the busted GPS. I have found a new place to take my car for service that hasn't tried to rip me off and hasn't done any damage yet, so I keep going back to them. If they sold Broncos, I'd buy from them in a minute. But they don't, so I'll continue to shop around until I find a place I can trust that does.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you want to compete with Granger, come up with a no BS purchasing policy.
Granger's sweet deal is not what keeps them on the top of my list, as that will be eaten up by transportation costs and slight hassle of working through the purchase remotely. It is their transparency and actions to help us through this process. Their actions on this board give me the impression of integrity. So, while I know what I'm getting into where they've told us, it's the unknown steps where I feel I will be sure to receive the same fair treatment.
Honestly, I'd pay a little extra for this treatment...

OP
OP
Jakko13

Jakko13

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but...

Some of our opinions are based on past experiences. Here are a few of my own:

1) As a woman who worked in high tech sales for years, my BS meter is pretty sharp and when I walk into a car dealership, it's usually pegged. Over the years, I've learned that many salespeople assume they can take advantage of women because they think we don't know what we're doing or are too afraid to speak up when we know we're getting screwed. It's the same when I take my car in for service.

2) If I take a guy friend with me, the whole tone is different. Respectful, not pandering. The salespeople talk to him like he's an equal. They assume they can't bullshit him. They assume I'm a target for whatever they can get away with. By the way, I HATE resorting to borrowing a man to bring with me for major purchases.

3) The last time I bought a new car, I went to pick it up and they put me in a room with a guy who was so strung out on cocaine his eyes were bugging out of his head. He closed the door and the pressure was on for me to add everything extra this guy had to sell: clear coat, extended maintenance agreements, you name it. And he wouldn't take no for an answer. I stood my ground and didn't buy anything from him, but it took me an hour to get out of his office. I couldn't just walk because he had the final paperwork and the keys to my new car.

4) The dealership gave me a year of free oil changes. The first time I brought it in, as I was driving home, the tire light came on signaling that the air was low. I called the dealer and talked to the guy at the service desk and he said it was "just because it was hot out." The next day, it was still on so I took it to a tire place down the street that I had worked with in the past. They looked at it and said an expensive electronic part was burned out. I told them the car was just three months old, and they said the part that controls that light was much older than three months. That light is still on, because I did not want to pay a couple hundred bucks for a replacement part that apparently my dealership service guy swapped out during the oil change.

5) Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I brought the car back three months later for another oil change. This time, I got it back with a scrape on the roof. When I asked about it, they denied any knowledge. I would have noticed the scrape: I see the top of my car every time I get in it. So no more free oil changes from that place...I don't trust them with my car.

6) Soooo...another place for oil changes. They broke the housing on my GPS. I asked them about it immediately when I picked up the car and they said they didn't know anything about it. I emailed the company and they never responded. I called the manager and he said it wasn't them. Well, obviously, someone took the car out for a spin and didn't realize you just have to press down on the GPS to get it to pop up. They must have pried it open and snapped the clasp.

My car still has that tire light on, the scrape on the roof, and the busted GPS. I have found a new place to take my car for service that hasn't tried to rip me off and hasn't done any damage yet, so I keep going back to them. If they sold Broncos, I'd buy from them in a minute. But they don't, so I'll continue to shop around until I find a place I can trust that does.
That is a horrible experience, I'm very sorry that you have been treated that way. I'm not denying there are some dealers that operate stereotypiclly. The fact is I have experienced many women know more about their vehicles than men do. One of the best service advisor I've worked with in the past is a women.

zedster

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco 2 dr Badlands SAS, '22 F150 PowerBoost
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In my experience the Sales and Service Dept. are on two different pages. Hell they may even be in a different book!

GotWake

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My local dealership experiences.

Dealership 1 - Traded my GM 2500HD for a F350. They kept trying to find something to lowball me on my trade. I really wanted the F350 and traded with them anyway. Screwed me out of probably $1000. (Yeah, I know I could have walked)

Dealership 2 - 3 miles from the house. My cousin works here. I took my F350 for warranty service because it had a fault on the trailer plugin. It had water in it. Their fix - duct tape around it.

Bought my daughter’s EcoBoost Mustang from a dealership 2 hours away.

Dealership 3 - The Mustang started blowing smoke at the stoplights with 30 miles on it. It turned out to be the return line on the turbo. They suggested that I change the oil. I had to pay for the oil change. The guy scoffed at it being under warranty.

There’s just no dealerships around me that are going to impress me enough to pay more just because they are local.
Sponsored