First Name
BertJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco Wildtrak; ‘13 Camaro 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I just watched this recently and made a comment, "How does this apply to the Bronco" to which someone replied, "The whole video? The Bronco has ifs so yeah…"

So, what do you think?

Are our Broncos as feeble as this YT OP guy portrays independent front-suspension vehicles to be?​
I want to think NOT since Ford's put an s-ton of engineering into the Bronco. And it is a body-on-frame (full frame) vehicle.​
How good/strong is our IFS?​
  1. Keep wheel straight over obstacles - cv joints are the weakest link. You could sheer a front axle. Usually it’s the CV joint. You end up in 2WD.
  2. Keep modifications small — be conservative with lift. 2”-3” is enough for most advanced terrain. Keep tire size modest. Otherwise too much weight or force is put on the front drive shafts.
  3. Tow Forward Only — front diff assembly isn’t as stout as a diff on a solid axle. Many issues towing another vehicle while in reverse. Could breast the front diff. End up in 2WD.
  4. Stay Light Weight — don’t tow too much. Camping gear, outdoor gearing, motorbikes, etc. Take what you need then freight down low.
  5. Pass Over Obstacles in the Middle, then Turn — lots of clearance in the middle. After your front axle is over an obstacle, turn your wheel so the obstacle doesn’t clip the rear diff/pumpkin later.
  6. Lightweight Wheels and Tires — reduces stress over the front driveline. Less wear on shocks, suspension. Un-sprung weight helps.
  7. Go Slow when compressing front suspension
  8. Lower Tire Pressures — pressure depends on the weight of your vehicle.
  9. Be aware of brush, sticks, cable, wire that could jam front end parts —
  10. Keep front diff open - it’s tempting to put a locker in. If you do, replace the axles with higher strength units. If you’re getting cross axles approach terrain differently. Front lockers will cause the axles to snap.
I’m having trouble accepting #3, #7 (for Wildtrak models), and #10 (for models with front lockers).

Sponsored

Last edited:

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just watched this recently and made a comment, "How does this apply to the Bronco" to which someone replied, "The whole video? The Bronco has ifs so yeah…"

So, what do you think?

Are our Broncos as feeble as this YT OP guy portrays independent front-suspension vehicles to be?​
I want to think NOT since Ford's put an s-ton of engineering into the Bronco. And it is a body-on-frame (full frame) vehicle.​
How good/strong is our IFS?​

I think it was all good advice.

I didn't take the video as ifs is feeble, just recognize it's limitations.

The off-roadeo instructor mentioned just about all those tips.

Except he said lock up the front when you need to, of course all the off-roadeo broncos had lockers and axles designed for the lockers....

Gassyjack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good, common sense advice. First I had heard of not recommending pulling backwards as it stresses the the front differential.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'd say he nails it. I don't necessarily follow all, but I think he speaks truth.

Sponsored
OP
OP
CrystalRedTintCoat

CrystalRedTintCoat

Wildtrak
First Name
BertJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Good, common sense advice. First I had heard of not recommending pulling backwards as it stresses the the front differential.
This was, frankly, one of the big things the surprised me. We’ll have to See if folks have problem towering in reverse.

OP
OP
CrystalRedTintCoat

CrystalRedTintCoat

Wildtrak
First Name
BertJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'd say he nails it. I don't necessarily follow all, but I think he speaks truth.
You’re saying “Do as I say, not as I play”?? :) I think you’re saying you believe the tips he gives but you don’t necessarily follow them yourself.

OP
OP
CrystalRedTintCoat

CrystalRedTintCoat

Wildtrak
First Name
BertJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think it was all good advice.

I didn't take the video as ifs is feeble, just recognize it's limitations.

The off-roadeo instructor mentioned just about all those tips.

Except he said lock up the front when you need to, of course all the off-roadeo broncos had lockers and axles designed for the lockers....
Where did you Rodeo?

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

#8 and #10 sound wrong. the rest, except variable ground clearance are good general advice for any factory vehicle, solid or independent suspension. (Variable ground clearance doesn't apply to solid axle.)

#8, solid axle has less tire contact patch at ends of travel vs independent.

#10, spinning and hopping puts a lot of stress on the axles. engage your locker and go slow. Unless the point of #10 is to say don't add a locker to a stock front axle because most base front axles are not durable enough...

Or,
Drive slow. Avoid exaggerated inputs (throttle, brake, steering). Carry a little momentum. Drive smooth like a chauffeur.
If you want to hoon around and tackle buggy obstacles, stock components are most likely not strong enough.

This is true for all motorsports, and off-roading is a motorsport, like track days and drag racing. You're going slower, but you're still working the vehicle harder than commuting to work and running errands.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You’re saying “Do as I say, not as I play”?? :) I think you’re saying you believe the tips he gives but you don’t necessarily follow them yourself.
Well, I run a heavy tire for size, for puncture resistance and despite the wisdom of it don't air down.

And, although he says turn a little as possible on a rough obstacle to avoid CV damage, #11 could be 'Hit obstacles square with both front wheels as much as possible'.

Last edited: