Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I installed the Zroadz sliders about a week ago on my 4 door BL and got enough requests for more info, decided to just make a post.

Packaging was great (albeit heavy obviously, damned UPS driver made it look like a feather though). Injected foam in the box so minimal possibility of it jostling during shipping, arrived in pristine condition.
Ford Bronco Zroadz Rail - Non Sasquatch Install: Troubles and Review 20220311_160810
Ford Bronco Zroadz Rail - Non Sasquatch Install: Troubles and Review 20220312_101659

Install was easy enough, minus a few hiccups. 6 horizontal nuts and 3 vertical bolts per side to remove the factory rails.

Front mount:
Ford Bronco Zroadz Rail - Non Sasquatch Install: Troubles and Review 20220312_113146
Mid mount (same as rear):
Ford Bronco Zroadz Rail - Non Sasquatch Install: Troubles and Review 20220312_113155

The mounting brackets support the weight of the rails while you're removing hardware, so no lifting support needed.
Ford Bronco Zroadz Rail - Non Sasquatch Install: Troubles and Review 20220312_114752
Six pinch weld holes:
Ford Bronco Zroadz Rail - Non Sasquatch Install: Troubles and Review 20220312_114814

Zroadz provided new hardware for the install, but the factory pieces seemed more robust, so I stayed with those. Factory nuts had captive washers compared to provided without washers, so more lip there. Factory bolts seemed to have a bit more lip as well.

Nuts: Zroadz (top) vs OEM (bottom)
Ford Bronco Zroadz Rail - Non Sasquatch Install: Troubles and Review 20220315_190158

Bolts: Zroadz (top) vs OEM (bottom)
Ford Bronco Zroadz Rail - Non Sasquatch Install: Troubles and Review 20220315_190131

Pay attention that the front bolt on each side is longer since it goes directly into the body, rather than a bracket. If you use the Zroadz bolt, the head on that is also larger, so you'll need an extra socket.

It's possible to get them on to the mount points yourself (I did) but an extra set of hands won't hurt to line things up, because the tolerances can be tight. Once you slide the horizontal bolts on the rail into the pinch weld holes, all the weight is supported.

At this point I ran in to some trouble with manufacturing tolerances. The first rail went on fine, horizontal nuts first. Ratcheting down it was a tight enough fit to make the pinch weld pop over the threads as the step was pulled closer to it. That aligned the bolt points fine.

Rail two, no matter what, couldn't get the front bracket to align with hole for the bolt. All different orders of tightening nuts to pull it in, rubber mallet, someone standing on it for leverage. Nope.
Ford Bronco Zroadz Rail - Non Sasquatch Install: Troubles and Review 20220313_120757

Tried to line it up at a slight angle, hoping the threads would bite and straighten up. Unfortunately that just stripped the first part of the hole, and it needed tapped.
10mm tapping bit:
Ford Bronco Zroadz Rail - Non Sasquatch Install: Troubles and Review 20220312_173724

Once the threading was back in the body, I filed down part of the mounting bracket and had enough clearance to insert the bolt.

After filing:
Ford Bronco Zroadz Rail - Non Sasquatch Install: Troubles and Review 20220315_193129

Install issues aside, these are great. The front lines up well enough with the stock flare for me, and the rear kick out isn't significantly past the flare. Serves as a larger climbing platform for the little one. I think they do cut down on tire spray some, but I'll likely still install flaps still. Exiting the cab, they stick out enough that it's pretty hard to not scrape your pant leg unless you're really working for it. I'll take it as door ding protection.
Ford Bronco Zroadz Rail - Non Sasquatch Install: Troubles and Review 20220315_194645

Ford Bronco Zroadz Rail - Non Sasquatch Install: Troubles and Review 20220315_194736

Ford Bronco Zroadz Rail - Non Sasquatch Install: Troubles and Review 20220315_194718

Ford Bronco Zroadz Rail - Non Sasquatch Install: Troubles and Review 20220315_194705

Ford Bronco Zroadz Rail - Non Sasquatch Install: Troubles and Review 20220315_194802
Sponsored

Last edited:

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looking great! Is there any way you would be willing to measure the depth of the step with the door open from the door sill to the edge of the step?

OP
OP
HorizonHunter

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The kick out was actually the biggest differentiator of these for me. To each their own.

Last edited:

kbutler1

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for the photos! I'm going to try to put mine on tomorrow. I had to order the brackets with mine since my truck didn't come with them. I will say the zroadz directions are not very good.

OP
OP
HorizonHunter

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the photos! I'm going to try to put mine on tomorrow. I had to order the brackets with mine since my truck didn't come with them. I will say the zroadz directions are not very good.
It's pretty self explanatory once you're under there. Just keep your hardware organized and check your tolerances. Installing the extra brackets shouldn't be too hard either I wouldn't think.

Sponsored
OP
OP
HorizonHunter

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looking great! Is there any way you would be willing to measure the depth of the step with the door open from the door sill to the edge of the step?
It's about 4.5" for the front doors and 5.5" for the rear doors.

kbutler1

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It's pretty self explanatory once you're under there. Just keep your hardware organized and check your tolerances. Installing the extra brackets shouldn't be too hard either I wouldn't think.
yeah, the extra brackets with this diagram threw me off. There isnā€™t a whole lot of direction that the brackets come with all the bolts you need in addition to all the hardware the steps come with. I was trying to use everything and that wasnā€™t going to happen.

Ford Bronco Zroadz Rail - Non Sasquatch Install: Troubles and Review C07E0E53-CEB5-4552-84D7-09A7F00AC4D4

OP
OP
HorizonHunter

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

yeah, the extra brackets with this diagram threw me off. There isnā€™t a whole lot of direction that the brackets come with all the bolts you need in addition to all the hardware the steps come with. I was trying to use everything and that wasnā€™t going to happen.

Ford Bronco Zroadz Rail - Non Sasquatch Install: Troubles and Review C07E0E53-CEB5-4552-84D7-09A7F00AC4D4
Yeah, you're right, those instructions aren't the clearest. Without having seen the factory ones installed that graphic would make even less sense to me. Hopefully pictures with the factory ones in helped put it together for you.

tater_70

Wildtrak
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Fairlane, 1973 Bronco, 75 F-100
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I know I seen it somewhere here but I can't seem to find it. The OEM part number for the factory mounting brackets, 2 Door, for the factory sliders/step. I know Zroadz has them but I'd prefer the OEM ones from Ford. Thanks!

RUZ

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F150, 2020 QX80
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Installed mine tonight. I had the same hole alignment issue on the front passenger bolt. Nothing a little filing couldn't fix.

Sponsored
OP
OP
HorizonHunter

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Installed mine tonight. I had the same hole alignment issue on the front passenger bolt. Nothing a little filing couldn't fix.
Just wish I would have thought to file before trying to force it. Oh well, it's on.

Reactions: RUZ

NJRoadkill

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands 2.3l Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good thread. 2D Version for reference.
same experience w/ company, shipping, and quality as OP.
2D fitment was spot-on. No adjustments or filing.

however, I did notice this gusset first thing when I installed them as well. Had I seen that before, I may not have bought them. It looks like an afterthought to fix a flexing issue. Thereā€™s plenty of clearance for a gusset on the other side of the bracket? @zroadz?
Ford Bronco Zroadz Rail - Non Sasquatch Install: Troubles and Review D6F74987-E7BA-4182-8370-8A34957FC13B

theres a couple birds I was hoping to kill with these. The obvious is to keep the rocker and pinch weld protected. But also my door. I was also hoping to address some of the mud/stones flinging up my doors. Last, a place to step to get to the rack and gear.

Ford Bronco Zroadz Rail - Non Sasquatch Install: Troubles and Review 62FC4957-D2D8-471C-8C86-56AA219FFBC5

Ford Bronco Zroadz Rail - Non Sasquatch Install: Troubles and Review 3EF699B6-9BE4-47B8-AAB6-CC13763BF518

Ford Bronco Zroadz Rail - Non Sasquatch Install: Troubles and Review 479F03B6-94F3-4742-B0ED-70D1D60A3D4D

slight design-eye nitpick. If you donā€™t have some ā€œpokeā€ the rail will stick out past the tires. To me, thatā€™s a weird body line. Also, the original rock rails hid more of the pinch weld and rocker and gave a shadow line that was nice.
Ford Bronco Zroadz Rail - Non Sasquatch Install: Troubles and Review 6B8D89FF-7250-4C0F-BBCD-8B5545E41F9F

Overall Iā€™m happy with them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HorizonHunter

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good thread. 2D Version for reference.
same experience w/ company, shipping, and quality as OP.
2D fitment was spot-on. No adjustments or filing.

however, I did notice this gusset first thing when I installed them as well. Had I seen that before, I may not have bought them. It looks like an afterthought to fix a flexing issue. Thereā€™s plenty of clearance for a gusset on the other side of the bracket? @zroadz?
Ford Bronco Zroadz Rail - Non Sasquatch Install: Troubles and Review 6B8D89FF-7250-4C0F-BBCD-8B5545E41F9F

Digging your wheels and your ditch lights. Was looking at the wheels trying to replicate the Everglades.

NJRoadkill

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands 2.3l Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Digging your wheels and your ditch lights. Was looking at the wheels trying to replicate the Everglades.
@HorizonHunter

thanks! it was down to these and the Fisteen52 Analog HD
I wanted a modern steelie-type wheel from the start. I like the wheel on the Black Diamond but I wasnā€™t getting that model. Which led me to the KMCs. Itā€™s a happy accident that the build ended up looking like the Everglades. However, I donā€˜t personally like the grey color Ford is using. Iā€™ll live with the hardtop, but the grill is scheduled to be painted to match the wheels.
Sponsored

Last edited: