TallDude

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Swapped out the OEM Rock Rails that came on my Black Diamond for some ZROADZ Rock Slider Side Steps.

Packaging was great, they arrived in excellent shape in a sturdy box, wrapped and also foamed for protection, A+ package job!

The installation was very straightforward.
Was able to do it solo taking my time.
Taking off the OEM rails was an easy 9 bolt affair.
Installing the first slider was smooth as soft butter.
Installing the second one was a bit more challenging...unfortunately my second slider was slightly off at the pinch weld studs and the front bracket was off at the main hole too. I opted to proceed with install vs waiting for a replacement and reached out to ZROADZ which took care of me. I drilled my pinch welds to enlarge them a bit (3-5mm), then filed away the front bracket to also enlarge it (~4mm). Painted the affected areas and then bolted it up finally.

Love the looks and functionality, my kiddos can use them as steps. They will prevent door dings and protect on off-road excursions.

Ford Bronco ZROADZ TRAILX R1 Series Rock Slider Side Step installed on Black Diamond 1679117665211

Ford Bronco ZROADZ TRAILX R1 Series Rock Slider Side Step installed on Black Diamond A3F8B0E1-1EF5-45A4-87D5-D490A13F6B56

Ford Bronco ZROADZ TRAILX R1 Series Rock Slider Side Step installed on Black Diamond 1679117689353

Ford Bronco ZROADZ TRAILX R1 Series Rock Slider Side Step installed on Black Diamond 1679117703199

Ford Bronco ZROADZ TRAILX R1 Series Rock Slider Side Step installed on Black Diamond 1679117756369

Ford Bronco ZROADZ TRAILX R1 Series Rock Slider Side Step installed on Black Diamond 1679117782486

Ford Bronco ZROADZ TRAILX R1 Series Rock Slider Side Step installed on Black Diamond 1679117798362

Ford Bronco ZROADZ TRAILX R1 Series Rock Slider Side Step installed on Black Diamond 1679117813740

Ford Bronco ZROADZ TRAILX R1 Series Rock Slider Side Step installed on Black Diamond 1679117830141

Ford Bronco ZROADZ TRAILX R1 Series Rock Slider Side Step installed on Black Diamond 1679117855029
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do they attach at all to the frame or only body/pinch welds?

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They attach to existing brackets which are not attached to the frame.

BigfootArea51

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C5 Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How long it take you to get? I’m waiting on a set for my 2 door they look good

Sponsored
OP
OP
TallDude

TallDude

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Do they attach at all to the frame or only body/pinch welds?
Body/pinch welds.
Seems really beefy.
I don’t do any extreme rock crawling so for the occasional outing these are perfect!

Front bracket:
Ford Bronco ZROADZ TRAILX R1 Series Rock Slider Side Step installed on Black Diamond D0E557FD-7C7F-4BAC-BBD4-3AC5B7E01B68

Mid/Rear bracket:
Ford Bronco ZROADZ TRAILX R1 Series Rock Slider Side Step installed on Black Diamond 0911946F-FD92-4E88-B243-D2A1B72A84B1

OP
OP
TallDude

TallDude

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

BroncoJoerg

Badlands
First Name
Joerg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Body/pinch welds.
Seems really beefy.
I don’t do any extreme rock crawling so for the occasional outing these are perfect!

Front bracket:
D0E557FD-7C7F-4BAC-BBD4-3AC5B7E01B68.jpeg

Mid/Rear bracket:
0911946F-FD92-4E88-B243-D2A1B72A84B1.jpeg
I agree, and I've seen plenty of folks hit them pretty hard including the video I posted above. One guy took off his stock rocksliders and they were bet, but no damage to the vehicle after he literally went airborne and came down on the rocksliders. So, I think that for all but the most extreme rock crawling, the frame mounts are unnecessary.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I agree, and I've seen plenty of folks hit them pretty hard including the video I posted above. One guy took off his stock rocksliders and they were bet, but no damage to the vehicle after he literally went airborne and came down on the rocksliders. So, I think that for all but the most extreme rock crawling, the frame mounts are unnecessary.
I just really worry about longevity when hitting the rock rail on the body. The frame is such a stronger metal piece. I worry more about structural integrity over the long run and while I bet the stock rails can take a hit or two I don't see how that isn't putting the stress on the body the way it's mounted. I'd rather have that stress and weight be on the solid frame.

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just really worry about longevity when hitting the rock rail on the body. The frame is such a stronger metal piece. I worry more about structural integrity over the long run and while I bet the stock rails can take a hit or two I don't see how that isn't putting the stress on the body the way it's mounted. I'd rather have that stress and weight be on the solid frame.
Yeah, but are you really going to throw your new rig on big boulders now without a sponsor?

Most of the sliders are to the body due to the wires that run along the frame which I think was an interesting decision for Ford to begin with.

I do wish frame mounting were easier for Bronco, but the challenges are many. Best to add another inch of lift or bigger tires while letting some decent sliders be there just In case.

Not perfect I know.

HOSSMAN

Badlands
First Name
HOSS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2022 BMW X3 M-SPORT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was looking at these and also the DV8 sliders when mine comes as they look pretty identical. What made you go with the ones you bought? Look good!! Thanks for posting.
Ford Bronco ZROADZ TRAILX R1 Series Rock Slider Side Step installed on Black Diamond 1679326415039

Pilsner

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, 81 Bronco, 21 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

You are correct, eventually body mount sliders will be an issue if you use them hard. They will take some abuse though, along with the stock skids. I ordered body mount sliders from RCI, but have not had time to put them on yet. I got the top plates and kept them at 5 degrees to use as a step, and to stop rocks. RCI has a 20% off currently. I have used their armor in the past and it's always held up well and I like that they stick out enough to stop door dings.