Sponsored

Latest software update messed up Sync4 screen. Slow boot up times.

threeonone

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I got the Ford Power-Up 4.2.3 update yesterday Oct 6 and now when I start my vehicle is 12" screen stays on the bucking bronco for about a full minute with no sound or climate controls. The screen then goes black for about a minute and the audio and climate come back before the screen slowly boots up to it's normal self. After this it seems to be fine but it's annoying as hell.

Has this been happening to anyone else?
Sponsored

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

And that is exactly why I don't let my Bronco do its own updates. I've had that happen when doing software updates to smart TVs and DVD players. Everything is great until the update, then it's way worse.

The one update that I haven't done to my Bronco is the back up camera screen issue after going into reverse in 4L. I don't see how that could possibly be a safety issue or confuse me in any way.

BigBendBW

Heritage
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I got the Ford Power-Up 4.2.3 update yesterday Oct 6 and now when I start my vehicle is 12" screen stays on the bucking bronco for about a full minute with no sound or climate controls. The screen then goes black for about a minute and the audio and climate come back before the screen slowly boots up to it's normal self. After this it seems to be fine but it's annoying as hell.

Has this been happening to anyone else?
Yep…hold down the audio power and forward/scan button at the same time until the screen goes dark and it will hard reset the system. I haven’t had a problem since. Same thing happened to me with my first update in a year.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I had posted a separate thread a bit ago how I told Ford not to do any updates, and yet I went and started my Bronco and my screen went black and started acting up.

Eventually it settled down after a few restarts and greeted me with a message deleting me on updating my Bronco.

Basically, good luck on not allowing them to update... They either harass you every time you start your vehicle, or just do it anyway.

Sponsored

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Basically, good luck on not allowing them to update... They either harass you every time you start your vehicle, or just do it anyway.
There is a setting to disable external communication to/from the Bronco. I set that on mine. It means that I can't use Ford Pass to remotely start mine, but it also prevents external updates from happening. That's a good enough trade off for me.

RobL2112

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have 4.2.3 and since this update about 50% of the time, Sync freezes when starting the Bronco... if I leave it alone, eventually the screen will go black for about 15 seconds, then the bucking Bronco appears, it reboots, and then works fine. Seems like either a problem with how the system handles a power cycle and it crashes and then reboots once the system realizes it is crashed. I'd expect a 4.2.4 somewhere along the line here! Damn shame, because honestly, the system has been very stable for me up to this point. I work in software engineering so I know this stuff can be tough and these days companies tend to move way faster than they should as far as development and QA are concerned so this is what we get, and it's just not Ford... Microsoft has been a nightmare with bad updates over the past couple of years as well! Hopefully the next patch fixes this botched patch!

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There is a setting to disable external communication to/from the Bronco. I set that on mine. It means that I can't use Ford Pass to remotely start mine, but it also prevents external updates from happening. That's a good enough trade off for me.
Yeah..forgot about that one. I use Nav and Alexa so I think turning that off will break those but I'm not sure.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yes. You can reject 4.2.3 and it will not happen. Am successfully holding out with 4.2.2.1

Last week message popped up saying "Update 4.2.3 is Available" but I rejected it. And I'm not getting any further prompts to update

You can stop the updates. And not be harassed with further prompts.

Am successfully holding out with 4.2.2.1 and not getting any further prompts, after the first prompt last week asking me to allow 4.2.3 - which I rejected

I turned off the modems Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/Mobile and no phones connected. Also "Disconnect" from any Wi-Fi router you may have used earlier. This "Disconnect"ing from earlier Wi-Fi router could be what stops the harassing prompts

Am still using satellite radio link for SiriusXM and NAV
I have never connected to my wifi (basically for that reason), but rejecting the constant pop ups always just led to continuing pop ups reminders every time I would start it up.

The one thing that seemed to work (until Ford decided to just force it) was to "accept" the pop up, but then never schedule the update.

I guess I now know why their updates keep says "this update makes it easier for us to make future updates" .... They must have added a super-nag feature or a back-door.

Mishra42

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been getting digital noise from the speakers every time I shift into reverse and occasionally it'll just straight up crash the console. Anyone else seen this?

Sponsored

D00Mlemon

Badlands
First Name
Nino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm having similar issues with the latest update. My screen will sometimes freeze right after start. After a couple of minutes of driving it'll reboot. Kinda problematic when it freezes on the reverse camera because you assume nothing is behind you 💀...

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

luckily no issues here on 4.2.3 locking up for me

Having said that I see some things are different but not sure if it is working properly
I remember seeing a small section of the screen for displaying what was playing on pandora. It is located below the android auto map view and is only about 3/8" tall. I like how little space it takes up but I can't seem to get to that display again. In fact I don't know how it got there to begin with lol
Does anyone have a useful breakdown of the newest changes?

Sven

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Bronco,75 F250 CS,88 M35a2c,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My 21 BL high package got this update and I hate to report that it seems to boot faster than ever. Not sure what to tell ya.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My 21 BL high package got this update and I hate to report that it seems to boot faster than ever. Not sure what to tell ya.
Mine is scheduled to install tonight. I think I'm already on 4.2.3 so this may be something newer on the way. Personally I think the best approach to software updates is to aim to be just a little bit behind the curve, defer it a few days each time to be sure there aren't any show stoppers. If you put it off for a very long time there stands a good chance when you actually need it you'll be stuck at a dealer using FDRS to do it manually.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you put it off for a very long time there stands a good chance when you actually need it you'll be stuck at a dealer using FDRS to do it manually.
It is my opinion that I don't actually need the update that they wanted me to do to mine. It works fine as it was delivered from the factory. Why would I want to change anything?
Sponsored