Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looking at the following A arm skid plates, which seem like totally different designs. Help me pick!

Metalcloak Bronco 6G Front Lower Control Arm Skid Plates

Pros:

- Excellent coverage
- No exposed nuts
- Lower price ($199)

Cons:

- Is the material all that good?
- Lacks a powder coat on zinc finish (good/bad/indifferent?)?
- Am I sacrificing clearance with this design?

JCR Bronco Lower Control Arm Skids | 6th Gen (2021+)

Pros:

- Durability (JCR seems to be a quality brand)
- Powder coat on zinc, additional layer of protection
- Solid manufacturing

Cons:

- Exposed bolts? (I realize this is similar to what's already there...)
- Not as much coverage, seemingly...
- More expensive ($270)

Edit: Adding RCI, which are a great fit overall:

https://rcimetalworks.com/product/a...ibute_pa_material=1-4-5052-aluminum-raw-metal

Pros:

- Aluminum options (12lbs vs 22lbs+ for above)
- 1/4" for aluminum option
- Nut covers

Cons:

- Pricy ($275 fully loaded)
- Only one bolt secures top

My thought is the Metalcloak is overall better, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

My thought is the RCI are overall the best of the above.

Also, if you think they're not needed, if you can explain...

If you have another recommendation, let me know in the comments. I would go with Next Venture if they made them (1/4" vs 3/16").
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tor148

First Edition
First Name
Tor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Braptor Bk, 21 FE RR, 15 F250,
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Looking at the following A arm skid plates, which seem like totally different designs. Help me pick!

Metalcloak Bronco 6G Front Lower Control Arm Skid Plates

Pros:

- Excellent coverage
- No exposed nuts
- Lower price ($199)

Cons:

- Is the material all that good?
- Lacks a powder coat on zinc finish (good/bad/indifferent?)?
- Am I sacrificing clearance with this design?

JCR Bronco Lower Control Arm Skids | 6th Gen (2021+)

Pros:

- Durability (JCR seems to be a quality brand)
- Powder coat on zinc, additional layer of protection
- Solid manufacturing

Cons:

- Exposed bolts? (I realize this is similar to what's already there...)
- Not as much coverage, seemingly...
- More expensive ($270)

My thought is the Metalcloak is overall better, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something. Also, if you think they're not needed, if you can explain...

If you have another recommendation, let me know in the comments. I would go with Next Venture if they made them (1/4" vs 3/16").
Metalclock seams nice, but man looks like you loose 2" of clearance!!
Jcr is nice and tight but i worry about the exposed bolts.
I don't really see the need unless you slip sideways alot off the tire to hit the arms......YMMV

ScLeCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Metalclock seams nice, but man looks like you loose 2" of clearance!!
Jcr is nice and tight but i worry about the exposed bolts.
I don't really see the need unless you slip sideways alot off the tire to hit the arms......YMMV
Yeah, I don't like how much the Metalcloak hang down. The JCR seem more like scuff guards, definitely a different design strategy. Althought being hollow in the center may give a benefit if they don't hold as much water/mud.

I went with RCI.
I wanted aluminum to keep the weight down and I don't think they really need
massive amount of armor. I just got them to keep the arms from getting scratched not because I was worried about breaking them.
Also the RCI skids protect the lower bolts.

https://rcimetalworks.com/product/a...ibute_pa_material=1-4-5052-aluminum-raw-metal
Ooh, aluminum; no corrosion or rusting. A little pricy like the JCR's, but I assume it's the powder coat that bumps it up for both. Plus 1/4". Plus they have the nut guards. So far I think these are my favorites. Thanks!

If you haven't already, protect the rear shock mounts first.

I just don't see the A-arm needing the protection, but that also depends on how you use it.
Yeah, I feel ya. I got the rear shock and diff skids from Next Venture, just waiting for fab and shipment. Following up on the frontend, seeing what I can do up there. I like the RCI's ScLeCo recommended. As far as utility, you and Tor148 make a valid point. The local OHV (Bridgeport) has some rock gardens and I like Gruber OHV up in OK, which is one big rock garden. Merus also has some rock slip and drop spots, but it does seem harder than the backend to hit hard or pull across a jutting rock; the control arms are kinda tucked up there a bit. Not sure if I really really want them... yet.

Sponsored

retiredarmymp

Badlands
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you looked at DV8? I chose them for front A arms and rear lower shock mounts and chose JCR Offroad for engine, trans skid plates.

Ford Bronco Metalcloak vs JCR vs RCI Front Lower Control Arm Skid Plates B8
Ford Bronco Metalcloak vs JCR vs RCI Front Lower Control Arm Skid Plates BR6A

35tires

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '21 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
Your control arms don't need skids.

Your rear shock mounts, sure.

If scrapes on your lower control arms are an issue idk why you're offroad in the first place. That's like getting skids for your bumper.

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If scrapes on your lower control arms are an issue idk why you're offroad in the first place. That's like getting skids for your bumper.
The problem with this statement is the absurdity of comparing an LCA to a guard (bumper). Of course you wouldn't guard a guard. Putting a bumper on a bumper is ridiculous, and so is the comparison.

An LCA functions to connect the wheel to the frame. Damaging an LCA or pushing hard on it in some direction it isn't designed to move can cause frame and suspension damage and impact steering. Damaging a bumper, maybe it falls off?

The real question is whether an LCA can be guarded sufficiently at all. At best, as I mentioned above, A arm skids may not be worth it since since the LCAs on our Broncos are probably tough enough and it's more difficult to get into that area. We did last Sunday on a non-Sas rig, incidentally, and proceeded slowly to prevent hitting it unnecessarily.

At least with skids you have a smoother surface to absorb rock scrapes (but maybe not stiff enough to take a hit). That seems the main benefit of A arm skids AFAICT. Whether you think that's necessary has to do with whether you want to buy them or not.

Last edited:

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Another vote for unnecessary. Adding weight, losing ground clearance and lightening your wallet to try to protect something that really doesn't need protecting. If you're concerned about the lower shock mount bolts, flip them.

I'm curious, has anyone ever suffered actual damage (not just scrapes and gouges) that would have been prevented by these things? I'd love to see some pics, if any exist.

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm curious, has anyone ever suffered actual damage (not just scrapes and gouges) that would have been prevented by these things?
This seems to be the operative question. Especially the JCR's, they really only seem to help slide better, if at all.

This reminds me of the '80's running back Eric Dickerson, who was well known not just for being a hall of famer (he is), but also because he never met a pad or "protective" piece of equipment he wouldn't wear. Meanwhile, the Oilers had a (very good) wide receiver who practically refused to wear shoulder pads, much less anything other pad. This was in the era of concrete-like "astro turf" that really was painful to play on.

The best case, if they don't get in the way, doesn't hurt (🤷‍♂️). Since they're protecting a pretty tough part of the truck, they won't hurt per se. Worst case maybe that money could've been spent on something more productive.

Sponsored

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve got scrapes and gouges on mine and the lower shock bolts are scraped. I’m getting some RCI skids. Wish I would have had them for my last river crossing.

ScLeCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The whole point of skid plates is to take the damage that would normally go to your vehicle. They're the sacrificial layer of protection. What does wanting to protect the vehicle while OFFROAD have anything do with anything.
Your statement makes zero logical sense.
Ford Bronco Metalcloak vs JCR vs RCI Front Lower Control Arm Skid Plates 42283819

edit: the meme is just a joke

Last edited:
OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The whole point of skid plates is to take the damage that would normally go to your vehicle. They're the sacrificial layer of protection. What does wanting to protect the vehicle while OFFROAD have anything do with anything.
Your statement makes zero logical sense.
C'mon man, that's harsh. Isn't a skid plate meant to act more like grease than bash protection? I don't know anything can really protect the LCA itself per se from getting whacked hard enough to deform or break it (if that's possible without destroying the vehicle's frontend). Me personally, I think there's times when sliding is better than hitching, I'm just not experienced enough to know if that's something I want to spend money on (yet).

35tires

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '21 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ve got scrapes and gouges on mine and the lower shock bolts are scraped. I’m getting some RCI skids. Wish I would have had them for my last river crossing.

I'm the first to pipe up and own that I'm wrong and if that's from river crossing then I get it. I've never crossed a river in my life. I've done a lot of dunes and a lot of desert but you lose me at water.

The slide part makes more sense, like a skateboard on a rail and wax. I follow. Still won't be buying them for myself but I get it now.

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm the first to pipe up and own that I'm wrong and if that's from river crossing then I get it. I've never crossed a river in my life. I've done a lot of dunes and a lot of desert but you lose me at water.

The slide part makes more sense, like a skateboard on a rail and wax. I follow. Still won't be buying them for myself but I get it now.
Another consideration is mud, especially mud in places like Northwest OHV that may puddle up after heavy rains. Although I loath getting locked in sucking mud, I fear ramming a rock or losing momentum if a rock gets jammed into something that won't give. In other words, getting stuck from something below the water line I can't see. This is generally why I avoid mud, and really scope water when I cross. Sometimes though, you can't go around or back.
Sponsored