First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford, Audi, MB
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I'm wondering how others have experienced an oil change through a Ford dealership. I took my '23 Heritage for its first oil change to a local dealer. I waited about an hour for them to perform the oil change and rotate the tires. When it was completed I did a walk around and everything looked fine, except for some grease marks on the white grill. No biggie and I left the dealership. After I had it parked in my driveway I noticed a few oil spots below the engine area on the driveway. After close inspection I saw lots of oil droplets on the undercarriage. I parked it in the garage and the next day there was more oil that had dripped onto the garage floor.
Ford Bronco Oil Change Experience IMG_1757

I took the truck back to the dealership a few days later to make sure everything was tight. They inspected the vehicle and said all was good. They wiped everything down underneath the engine and said that they think some oil had spilled out durring servicing. When I got it home, I checked underneath and saw a few drops of oil on the transmission. I talked to the service manage and he said it was most likely still some residual oil from the initial oil change. I think he is correct.
Ford Bronco Oil Change Experience IMG_1793

Has anyone else experienced this issue after an oil change?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hitemstiff

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands/ 05 Expedition/ 77 F150 Ranger SB 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

there is a pretty long plastic drip tray built under the oil filter that is designed to move the residual oil about a foot or so to where it clears the suspension parts. They don't clean it off very well. Expeditions have them also. Pain in the butt after driving in rain as well with residual on the garage floor.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm wondering how others have experienced an oil change through a Ford dealership. I took my '23 Heritage for its first oil change to a local dealer. I waited about an hour for them to perform the oil change and rotate the tires. When it was completed I did a walk around and everything looked fine, except for some grease marks on the white grill. No biggie and I left the dealership. After I had it parked in my driveway I noticed a few oil spots below the engine area on the driveway. After close inspection I saw lots of oil droplets on the undercarriage. I parked it in the garage and the next day there was more oil that had dripped onto the garage floor.

I took the truck back to the dealership a few days later to make sure everything was tight. They inspected the vehicle and said all was good. They wiped everything down underneath the engine and said that they think some oil had spilled out durring servicing. When I got it home, I checked underneath and saw a few drops of oil on the transmission. I talked to the service manage and he said it was most likely still some residual oil from the initial oil change. I think he is correct.

If you have the 2.3 there is a plastic drain channel mounted under the oil filter to direct the oil away from the steering components and axle. This will drip residual oil for a day or two. Otherwise I don't understand why there would be oil underneath unless they had a spill when re-filling.

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just a data point - a couple weeks ago, on a Saturday, my "change oil" indicator popped up (I'd been waiting) for my first oil change. Booked at my local dealer through the FordPass app on my phone that day for Monday when they opened at 7 AM. Got there about 7:05 (traffic sucked) so had to wait a bit for an available advisor, hung my "Do Not Wash" placard on the mirror and mentioned same to service tech/advisor, then went to waiting room for coffee and Kindle. Around 8 AM they were done and my truck was ready right outside the door (unwashed, as per request).

No issues then or since and the price, with tax, was $58. I had never even visited this dealer before and only had a couple email convo's back when I was placing my order but they weren't interested in dealing and required me to physically come in (during pandemic) to initiate an order. I passed and ordered from Granger (no regrets there).

Engine bay is clean, nothing dripping under the truck, no issues at all.
BTW I ran the numbers on what they charged me for oil on the receipt ($23.76) and it was less than the per quart price for 5 gallon jugs at Wal-Mart; filter and gasket were $10.77.

It's just one visit but, so far, I'm more than happy with being in and out in less than an hour for $58. Coffee wasn't as good as at my Acura dealer but it was still decent. :)

RustysBronco

Badlands
First Name
Matt "Rusty" R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds like you have a 2.3L?

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just a data point - a couple weeks ago, on a Saturday, my "change oil" indicator popped up (I'd been waiting) for my first oil change. Booked at my local dealer through the FordPass app on my phone that day for Monday when they opened at 7 AM. Got there about 7:05 (traffic sucked) so had to wait a bit for an available advisor, hung my "Do Not Wash" placard on the mirror and mentioned same to service tech/advisor, then went to waiting room for coffee and Kindle. Around 8 AM they were done and my truck was ready right outside the door (unwashed, as per request).

No issues then or since and the price, with tax, was $58. I had never even visited this dealer before and only had a couple email convo's back when I was placing my order but they weren't interested in dealing and required me to physically come in (during pandemic) to initiate an order. I passed and ordered from Granger (no regrets there).

Engine bay is clean, nothing dripping under the truck, no issues at all.
BTW I ran the numbers on what they charged me for oil on the receipt ($23.76) and it was less than the per quart price for 5 gallon jugs at Wal-Mart; filter and gasket were $10.77.

It's just one visit but, so far, I'm more than happy with being in and out in less than an hour for $58. Coffee wasn't as good as at my Acura dealer but it was still decent. :)
Was that for full synthetic?

OP
OP
Kenny86

Kenny86

Heritage
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford, Audi, MB
Your Bronco Model
Heritage

Sponsored

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If you have the 2.3 there is a plastic drain channel mounted under the oil filter to direct the oil away from the steering components and axle. This will drip residual oil for a day or two. Otherwise I don't understand why there would be oil underneath unless they had a spill when re-filling.
This ^ I noticed it after my last two oil changes. Got worried at first, got underneath it and saw it was coming from the drain channel. Got it cleaned up and no more spots.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
A sloppy oil change most likely. I have almost never brought any of my vehicles in for oil changes. I have been doing them since the early 70's. Some oil changes are more difficult than others and some oil may run down different areas of the vehicle- frame, engine, etc. You have to sometimes make a cardboard shield/drain to direct the oil into the oil drain pan and minimize the mess. Or be aware of where the oil drained on the frame, etc. and spend some time wiping it all down with cloth/rags. Also wipe around the oil pan and bolt once the bolt is tightened down. Since I do the oil change myself, I can take the extra time to do this. Most shops do not have that extra time. Of course some vehicles are easier than others and the oil drains nicely right into the pan and the filter is right there underneath hanging straight down. These are super easy, done in 20 minutes start to finish and I have had a few of these. My 2.7 in the Bronco is not as easy. Skid plate to remove, oil tends to get on the plastic oil pan and into the channels and the cartridge filter on the top has O RIngs to mess with and I have to use a cloth to get remaining oil out of the housing the filter goes into.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The county landfill/ recycle center accepts motor oil for free so there is no issue with finding someway of disposing old oil. Now in my 60’s I have always changed my own oil. One reason is because I change the oil before the the manufacturer recommended intervals. Two because it makes me feel like I am working in the pits of the Indy 500. BTW, I once order seven Motorcraft 500 oil filters from Walmart. They sent me seven CASES. I contacted them to inform them of their error. They told me to keep them. I paid for seven filters and received 84. My grandchildren will be using the remainder of the filters.