Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2024 Rivian R1S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve never put mud flaps on a vehicle before (never had to), but when I saw the mud on my doors and people talking about rock chips I obliged and got myself some Ford mudflaps front and rear and installed them.

I really do not like the looks of the rear flaps and it got my wondering why do I need rear mudflaps? Is it a courtesy to those behind me? Is it to keep my bumper cleaner? Thinking of taking them off but wanted to make sure I’m not missing something obvious for why they should stay on.
Sponsored

TX_Bronco77

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is it a courtesy to those behind me?

Yes, if the tires are as bad at throwing rocks as people say it's the right thing to do to protect the paint and windshields of those behind you.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Besides courtesy, I think it's personal preference. I think it looks really weird to just have front flaps on any vehicle with mud flaps, and it needs the rears to make it cohesive. But, you are the opposite, so it's just a choice.

I really don't know if any primary reason other than courtesy.

Mortonm

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
courtesty to those behind (or your trailer/boat)
Is it a courtesy to those behind me?

Yes, if the tires are as bad at throwing rocks as people say it's the right thing to do to protect the paint and windshields of those behind you.
Also if you are pulling a trailer or boat, and agreed it might look a bit weird without the matching front and back mudflaps

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
you have it right, might keep some spray off your vehicle, but it mainly keeps you from throwing rocks, water, mud, whatever your rear tires pick up that you neglected to clean off your tires before getting on a public roadway and subjecting innocent people to broken windshields, blinding rain/snow from the road, etc.

There is a reason why rear flaps (in good condition and coverage) is required by law on commercial trucks in most places. It is just being responsible for any material you missed during your cleaning or that your off road tires pick up when on public roads.

Folks will disagree and I respect their God-given right to be as wrong as they want, but I would not run a vehicle with off road tires on the road without adding rear flaps, for I am an adult that respects other people, their safety, and their property.

Sponsored

rws

Wildtrak
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW GTI, 2018 Silverado 1500 LT Z71
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

In the "old days" there was a lot more vehicle behind those rear wheels to protect. With the Bronco being so short back there, I have to agree with others, the primary reasons for rear flaps:
- courtesy to those behind (I've had my windshield cracked more than a few times by flying debris)
- uniform look - if they are on the front, perhaps having them on the back provides "balance"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tdub0527

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am not a huge fan of the look but being considerate of others is enough reason for me to keep them on. I appreciate the responses and I’ll treat others as I’d like to be treated and keep the rocks off their vehicles!

KEM IA

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I only have the fronts and that's because there isn't a reasonable back set for my back bumper without modifications.

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Reactions: Cat
OP
OP
Tdub0527

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will say, for those that have the plastic bumpers like me, I do think the Ford ones are a great fit and finish. Highly recommend and not too difficult to install.

Sponsored

dadjoke

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Big Bend 4-Door 2.7 MIC Auto Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I just bought a set of front flaps from WeatherTech until I can find a reason to pay $300-$500 (oof) for mud flaps from these other companies. Which will probably be never.

https://www.weathertech.com/ford/20...e-size-6/yes/bronco-bumper-style-315/style-2/

Totally agree on price, but after looking at others' reviews and what was available cheaper (and I absolutely do not possess the skills to build my own, RESPECT to the people who have) I bit the bullet on a mid-price with these from RekGen for ~$230, fast shipping, very well packaged, great looking product. I'll be installing over the weekend

https://rekgen.com/products/2021-ford-bronco-trophy-sport-mud-flaps?variant=39612079538234

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Totally agree on price, but after looking at others' reviews and what was available cheaper (and I absolutely do not possess the skills to build my own, RESPECT to the people who have) I bit the bullet on a mid-price with these from RekGen for ~$230, fast shipping, very well packaged, great looking product. I'll be installing over the weekend

https://rekgen.com/products/2021-ford-bronco-trophy-sport-mud-flaps?variant=39612079538234
Those are definitely a great option. Unfortunately, it looks like they still haven't figured out how to get them to work on the rear with the steel bumper.

mul1gan

Badlands
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am looking for an inexpensive set for my BL, are the Ford OEM ones any good?

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well my trailer looks like this.
Ford Bronco Rear mud flaps…what’s the point? PXL_20220603_191355685

OP
OP
Tdub0527

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am looking for an inexpensive set for my BL, are the Ford OEM ones any good?
I like them a lot (except for the looks of the back ones), I don't think they work with factory rock rails or side steps if you have either of those. I have Go Rhino 6DS and they work well with those.
Sponsored