Sponsored

Skid Plates That Would be Prudent to Add?

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, A6 Avant, TTRS, SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am totally not into the 4WD thing for the sake of 4WD. My vehicle is an appliance for accessing remote trailheads off of really rough roads here in SW CO (and those trailheads and roads shall forever remain nameless).

I've guided on rivers in remote corners of the world where 4WD is the real deal. Universally the vehicles are bone stock. The exception are snorkels in Mongolia.

That being said, what one or two pieces of skid plate should I consider for my new Bronco? I tend to embrace the philosophy that we use in remote areas of the world (Note: not the US) - if looks sketchy, you just don't go there.

Thanks in advance.

Below: 6WD Russian troop transport in EurAsia.

Ford Bronco Skid Plates That Would be Prudent to Add? 4WD is for pussies 2

That same Russian troop transport parked at camp. It provides a sense of scale.

Ford Bronco Skid Plates That Would be Prudent to Add? Delgamor put-in camp (1024x681)
Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 f-250 Tremor 6.7L HO, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Like yourself I am a off-roader to access places to explore. Not for the sake of just off roading. I plan to add full skids front to back. The oil pan and trans pan are vulnerable. The fuel tank is also a key component to protect. If you do skids front to back you are less likely to get hung up by catching the edge of a randomly place skid plate. I like a smooth pan front to back. As a side benefit in an urban environment the skids give you some protection against the cat thieves and fuel thieves that will drill your plastic take to steal the fuel.

OP
OP
Durangatan

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Like yourself I am a off-roader to access places to explore. Not for the sake of just off roading. I plan to add full skids front to back. The oil pan and trans pan are vulnerable. The fuel tank is also a key component to protect. If you do skids front to back you are less likely to get hung up by catching the edge of a randomly place skid plate. I like a smooth pan front to back. As a side benefit in an urban environment the skids give you some protection against the cat thieves and fuel thieves that will drill your plastic take to steal the fuel.
Thanks so much. Go-to brands?

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was amazed at how low the fuel tank hangs my first time under the Bronco. I’m only a beach driver so I’m not too worried about it. But if you’re doing anything remotely dicey I’d go full skid plates. Seems like cheap insurance to me.

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have the black diamond so almost full skids (still need to get a transmission pan cover and rear diff). I have looked at RCI both for additional skids and for Sliders. They will be getting my money when the time comes.

Sponsored

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

RCI, JCR, MetalCloak all have great options

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you have a v6 LOD transmission skid plate is a good setup. Otherwise I actually like the Talon Garage Transmission Skid, but that is sold by BroncBozo...

No one really makes a great stand alone transmission skid.

@Metalcloak makes a rear diff cover that I would take over any diffential skid.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From the looks of all my protection, I’d say every piece you can find. Diff, shocks, a arms, under belly.

Sponsored

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

if you had as much ground clearance on your bronco as the pictured russian 6x6, you probably wouldn't need much underbody armor.

that said, the metalcloak makes good stuff.
don't forget to protect the rear lower shock attachment area

OP
OP
Durangatan

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
if you had as much ground clearance on your bronco as the pictured russian 6x6, you probably wouldn't need much underbody armor.
This is the other go-to ORV vehicle in Mongolia and much of EurAsia. 5 hours on one of those and it is time to call it a day.

If you ever watched Ther Grand Tour's episode on Mongolia, where Jeremy Clarkson started to wax philisophicaly about how beautiful it is, that is the area that I guide in.

Ford Bronco Skid Plates That Would be Prudent to Add? Major N S HWY

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the other go-to ORV vehicle in Mongolia and much of EurAsia. 5 hours on one of those and it is time to call it a day.

If you ever watched Ther Grand Tour's episode on Mongolia, where Jeremy Clarkson started to wax philisophicaly about how beautiful it is, that is the area that I guide in.

Major N S HWY.jpg

is that one of these?

have no idea how they got one into the states

Bellime

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

A skid plate for my fuel tank is my next priority

OP
OP
Durangatan

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
is that one of these?

have no idea how they got one into the states
Most likley! Although this specimen is in great shape with good tires. There area. number of cool, utilitarian vehicles over there.
Sponsored