Sponsored

white smoke (maybe steam) - condensation?

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m assuming condensation but help me ease my anxiety.

Coolant level is low and noticed this steam/smoke from the exhaust upon startup. It’s been humid recently and mid 60s this morning. Water dripped from exhaust so I’m assuming condensation, but let me know.

edit: @pimpjuice I saw you posted something similar in 2021. any issue found?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well...

This won't ease your mind any, you are probably right, but there's a chance it's coolant. Very common to see this when it's colder out, like temp below the dew point, and if it's very humid out 60F is very likely.

Does it smell sweet? I mean, you don't really want to be huffing exhaust fumes, but coolant has a distinct odor like burning sugar.

If it were me, I'd top off the coolant level and keep an eye on it for the next few days. If it ~is~ coolant, it's obviously not a crazy amount of it, and you'll see the level drop again.

Onestepmore

Badlands
First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands with Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Coolant level is low and noticed this steam/smoke from the exhaust upon startup. It’s been humid recently and mid 60s this morning. Water dripped from exhaust so I’m assuming condensation, but let me know.
I agree with Brian's response...fill the coolant and then keep checking...I would also check the oil dip stick and make sure your not getting a grey look to your oil...that's a sure sign of a leaking head gasket...Sorry...let's not throw that in the universe and say it's condensation...but keep checking.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Condensation.... It will clear up and you will not see any more steam after a short drive.... If it was coolant you would continue to see this "steam" even after a long drive.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If it was coolant you would continue to see this "steam" even after a long drive.
Well, again, it isn’t likely but just possible - a small leak could be puddling up while the engine is off - so you’d see a lot of smoke just after engine startup but it would seem to clear up.

That’s just a remote possibility though, I don’t think it’s likely.

You are correct, if it’s a major leak, it will just spew smoke all the time. And absolutely good call on checking oil

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have noticed multiple owners on this forum have stated the coolant level in their new Bronco was not at the minimum level. Seems like they may not be topping them off correctly at the factory.

RimrockPaul

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Base

You're overthinking it. Water .heat and co2 are products of combustion. When the stars align...your cold exhaust sytem..a favorable relative humidity and temperature and water laden exhaust from your engine are creating a little cloud. Just like the contrails from an aircraft.
Paul

OP
OP
kevin.gt

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You're overthinking it. Water .heat and co2 are products of combustion. When the stars align...your cold exhaust sytem..a favorable relative humidity and temperature and water laden exhaust from your engine are creating a little cloud. Just like the contrails from an aircraft.
Paul
That’s what I’m figuring. I pulled an oil sample for analysis anyways because of the very low coolant. I have a handful of recall and warranty things to get done so I plan to take it to ford and let them do an oil change 😬😆 I’ll tell them about the low coolant and exhaust and see what they say

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Paul
looks like mine every morning and only under 40 degrees my roof squeaks

Sir915

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't recall the post but on the [banned site] forum a member had a similar concern. I think they placed a large cup under the exhaust tip and ran the truck for a good while till they collected enough to analyze. This was a older truck but it seemed to work for them to confirm it was coolant. I don't think yours is though.
Sponsored