First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Defender, 51 Ford F1, motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Worked for Fedex 35 years. No unions. They always matched UPS pay & cost of living raises. Only ones at Fedex that wanted unions were slackasses who were always on the injured list. I got all the overtime I wanted and made more money than my managers, without a union stopping me.
So you're saying you benefited from the salaries the UPS union was able to negotiate for their members (which indirectly forced FedEx to raise their pay so they could hire and retain workers). You really should be thanking them.
Sponsored

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The main reason for the present problem is due to Washington's massive Debt, which isn't going to away soon, if ever.
Itā€™s not WASHINGTONā€™S massive debit, ITā€™S YOURS AND MINE! The government has no money. It ALL comes from the taxpayers/consumers.

Do you know what your portion of the national debit is????

Magnitude Flow

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Before you non-union workers give your uneducated opinion on something you most likely know very little about... You need to look at the last three contracts and see what was given up or not, many unions took small raises far below cost of living increases due to covid. Many employers see the economy contracting and now don't want to bring the wages up to the level they should be. And all unions ask for the moon knowing they won't get near that. Apply this to the UPS drivers and it's not what the bought and paid for media make it out to be.

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Before you non-union workers give your uneducated opinion on something you most likely know very little about... You need to look at the last three contracts and see what was given up or not, many unions took small raises far below cost of living increases due to covid. Many employers see the economy contracting and now don't want to bring the wages up to the level they should be. And all unions ask for the moon knowing they won't get near that. Apply this to the UPS drivers and it's not what the bought and paid for media make it out to be.
Spoken like a true union member.

Sponsored

USSCajun

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 BD, Sas, 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Did the UAW members get full pay during the Covid shutdown, or full pay during the chip shortage? If so, thatā€™s two years of not really working for full pay.

Surfnbike

First Name
Mahtayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just out of curiosity what should Ford UAW members get paid? I'm interested to hear some answers
Very simple: Whatever the market can afford! This is simple economics. If you can make more money turning fasteners on an assembly line than at an auto repair shop, guess where people are going to try and get a job?

Unions are a racket, plain and simple. They exist because of the successful organizational efforts of a few, who collectively are able to stonewall a company to pay above-market rates. It's a brilliant strategy, but an unproductive one from an economic standpoint. It results in higher consumer prices, lower investment in the company being run by unions, and a less competitive product. Ultimately, the competition, like Tesla, will eat the Big 3's lunch; in fact they already are.

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Itā€™s not WASHINGTONā€™S massive debit, ITā€™S YOURS AND MINE! The government has no money. It ALL comes from the taxpayers/consumers.

Do you know what your portion of the national debit is????
As a matter of fact, I do: a bit over a quarter million.

https://www.usdebtclock.org/

FootPain

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BB 17 Explorer 04 Mach 1 98 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Very simple: Whatever the market can afford! This is simple economics. If you can make more money turning fasteners on an assembly line than at an auto repair shop, guess where people are going to try and get a job?

Unions are a racket, plain and simple. They exist because of the successful organizational efforts of a few, who collectively are able to stonewall a company to pay above-market rates. It's a brilliant strategy, but an unproductive one from an economic standpoint. It results in higher consumer prices, lower investment in the company being run by unions, and a less competitive product. Ultimately, the competition, like Tesla, will eat the Big 3's lunch; in fact they already are.
I didn't take econ in college so I'm a bit behind here. Don't you have to pay people enough to actually want to do the job? If you don't pay enough won't you have a high turnover rate which in turn causes the company to spend money retraining people. No one is going into an auto plant for $15.

Coastalcop

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Long story short, not posted online, I was in Special Forces for much of the 90's until 2004. We were deployed to Bosnia and surrounding countries looking for Slobodon Milosovich, the guy responsible for ethnic clensing of Muslims in his country. We had a very large slush fund that we used to buy provisions, bribe locals, pay off the local Mafia, etc. We were spreading too much money around and it began affecting the local economy to the point where the cost of living for actual people was skyrocketing. The economy went from being able to buy out the local market with a $20 bill to prices doubling or tripling on certain items. I learned a valuable lesson from that. We cannot look at poor areas through the lens of coastal elites or the US government. If you pay Chinese workers what union workers earn, they will be the richest laborers in the country, again, messing with the local economy.
During that same period, .Mil was pumping so much money into local economy housing at euro bases supporting that mission it priced the locals out of even the smallest apts. ( and had the highest fatality rate in usafe during that period. But thatā€™s another story). Imagine being married and in your 30s having a full time job that used to support them with a couple of kids and having to live with mom and pop because the rent went from $500 a month to $2500 a month in under a year. Because thatā€™s what Uncle Sugar will pay. We had several pipe bombs and a few grenades thrown over the fence into courtyards and such as a result of a pissed off populace.

Sponsored

BadlandsA51

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux Pkg, 72 Ranchero GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Cost of living adjustment raises are understandable, merit raises for job performance are understandable too. But 40% over 4 years for everyone with a union card in their pocket, maybe not so much. Expecting a new employee who just started today to make the same money as someone who has been at it for 20 years and might have developed a real skill over that time, kind of hard to justify. A worker who puts wheels on making the same as a skilled maintenance electrician, just silly. If their demands just made sense, they might not get so much pushback.

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Cost of living adjustment raises are understandable, merit raises for job performance are understandable too. But 40% over 4 years for everyone with a union card in their pocket, maybe not so much. Expecting a new employee who just started today to make the same money as someone who has been at it for 20 years and might have developed a real skill over that time, kind of hard to justify. A worker who puts wheels on making the same as a skilled maintenance electrician, just silly. If their demands just made sense, they might not get so much pushback.
This kind of sounds like...

Ford Bronco UAW authorized Strike. Huge Demands! chrome_screenshot_Aug 28, 2023 9_31_41 PM EDT

MTNLUV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2024 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No one is getting raises equal to cost of living, union or not. Iā€™ve worked for a union and for a company that didnā€™t have one. Iā€™ve been involved in setting up a union votes. I feel educated in unions. This offer was a bad move. They look laughable

Langwilliams

Big Bend
First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco big bend, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford has the same problem as our Fed government has with social security. Obligations have been made to a lot of people. Years ago there were many workers paying for the retirement of a few people. For SS retirees started living longer, for the uaw foreign makers started gaining large chunks of market share. Now they both have fewer workers paying in to support more an more retirees for a longer period of time.

I thought they were moving to a 401K system for future hires at the big three an in 2009 after the crash they dumped a billion or so into a healthcare insurance fund an handed the deal off to the unions to deal with. This removed the headache of after employment costs from the the companies giving them a more fixed cost in the future.

MTNLUV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2024 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It's called a starting point. Negotiation 101. Aim for the moon and then meet somewhere in the middle
They didnā€™t aim for the moon they are shooting at Saturn

Iā€™ve been trained in negotiating as it was a critical part of my job for 40yrs. Starting off with this ridiculous first offer makes it hard for the other side to take you serious at all.
Ex: I walk into a dealer that has a 2023 Bronco Badlands SAS. I offer them $43,900. What message does that send?
Make a very high but somewhat reasonable offer to start with.
Sponsored