Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Elantra N - 6 speed & 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm betting the car didn't actually lose steering and brakes. They just lost power. You can still turn the wheel and the brakes would still work but would take lots of pressure. Under a stressful situation I can see how you would think it doesn't have any of them.

But still, the Bronco losing all power out of nowhere is scary and shouldn't happen. Keep us posted on the situation.

For future reference you can hold down the parking brake in an emergency and it will slow the car down.
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It can be used in an emergency in some situations. Not sure how well it works though as I’ve never tried it.

IMG_2577.jpeg
Interesting, it seems as though the switch is either on or off. I'd like to give it a try but doesn't seem to be highly recommended.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So you gotta pull it and hold it for it to apply braking? Is that even if there's no power?
It obviously will need battery power to still activate, but I believe it will work whether the vehicle is running or not.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did in a parking lot. Stopped real good from 10-15 mph. No idea about higher speeds.

My point is they did not even try to activate it.
Huh...not sure why mine wouldn't do it? Light came on, then flashed, and it seemed like they started to apply then released. My foot was not on the brake as I wanted to see how it would feel if they applied by themselves. I will try again w/foot on the brake pedal?

EDIT: if the OP lost all electrical power it wouldn't have helped anyway, but good to know how to use it in an emergency!

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Huh...not sure why mine wouldn't do it? Light came on, then flashed, and it seemed like they started to apply then released. My foot was not on the brake as I wanted to see how it would feel if they applied by themselves. I will try again w/foot on the brake pedal?
You might've released it after pulling on it? Ducati's image above suggests it only applies as you're pulling on it if it's moving, which to me is counterintuitive but probably for some reason.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You might've released it after pulling on it? Ducati's image above suggests it only applies as you're pulling on it if it's moving, which to me is counterintuitive but probably for some reason.
probably...didn't want to rip the lever off and hear the dealership explain why that's not warranty because I have lift springs!

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

probably...didn't want to rip the lever off and hear the dealership explain why that's not warranty because I have lift springs!
That's exactly what I was thinking, someone be like "ahhhhhh!!!" YANK! SNAP! "ahhhhhh!!!!"

And it is your own fault lifting it, baby. You always do what you're told? lol

uncledoodoo

Everglades
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 56 F100, 11 Volvo XC90, Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

if its not a mechanical e-brake, it doesn't work in a power failed situation.

RAC-Wildtrak

Wildtrak
First Name
RAC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Similar experience to my Jeeps (TJ JK JL). Worst was the JK which would shut down completely randomly for about 5 seconds. Everything electronic would just blip off. Happened perhaps 5 or 6 times and was never replicated. TJ would shut down all electronics and I was able to figure out that the entire dashboard was becoming unplugged. I knew it for certain when the entire dashboard came down into my lap. The JL 'only' did it 2 or three times in 5 years. There would be a loud audible "POP" through the stereo and all electronics would blip off and then back on and reset everything Almost as if there was a static discharge. Was never replicated nor serviced.

Sponsored

LanceIto

Raptor
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

You would think the Ford engineers would have made that parking brake usable or even activated in loss of electronics. Isolated system? It would be nice to hear from @Ford Motor Company

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Power failure situation??? How did the Battery become disconnected? I understand the Motor stopped and all mechanical linkages to that rotation stopped. But the battery did not suddenly not have power right?

I understand that you need to continually pull on the e-brake switch. I would assume this is because when the Bronco is in motion it automatically releases the e-brake if you fail to do so???

Then again, I can put it in drive and the bronco does not move until I release the e-brake.... Maybe there is some electronic nanny that says if I accidentally apply the e-brake while in motion it will release it... unless I REALLY mean it and continue to pull the lever?

It is good to know that is there though. I would think it would continue to work as long as the Battery has enough charge..... I am old though and I like my mechanical linkages..... Just do not move my cheese....

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
if its not a mechanical e-brake, it doesn't work in a power failed situation.
Would this not apply to the steering as well? First vehicle I've owned w/o a PS pump.

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting, it seems as though the switch is either on or off. I'd like to give it a try but doesn't seem to be highly recommended.
I have mixed feelings about this. Glad it’s there if I need it…not super excited that my face has to be down near the steering wheel in order to Pull and Hold to stop. I can imagine serious facial injury by the airbag if I have a frontal impact while holding.

uncledoodoo

Everglades
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 56 F100, 11 Volvo XC90, Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

Now that I've had my coffee, this is sounding more and more like the classic bad ground situation (all vehicles suffer from it from time to time). I wonder if the fine, highly compensated, mechanics at the dealership fiddled with the ground and didn't secure it properly when done.
Sponsored