Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I live on the east coast, recently took a trip down to New Orleans and continue to love my Bronco. Despite early reservations about going with the 2.3, I absolutely am happy with it, smooth and responsive, and think it will be perfect for me after tune.

Issue: I’m going to be moving to Colorado at the end of the year and I’ve heard the 2.3 on other vehicles at elevation is underwhelming. Has anyone experienced this in their Bronco? Am I destined to be disappointed and waiting for Ford to match the 7spd to a bigger motor (and then rewaiting for that to be delivered🤪)
Sponsored

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Underwhelming is all a matter of opinion. But being a turbo vehicle, high altitude will not affect the Bronco like a normally aspirated vehicle would be. The turbo on the 2.3 is able to compensate for the lower oxygen available.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Underwhelming is all a matter of opinion. But being a turbo vehicle, high altitude will not affect the Bronco like a normally aspirated vehicle would be. The turbo on the 2.3 is able to compensate for the lower oxygen available.
Altitude still effects turbo motors, just not as much. My Escape with a 1.6 liter turbo motor is definitely weaker going over 7000 foot passes than down at lower elevations. I haven't taken the Bronco anywhere high enough to detect a difference, though. It has more than enough power for 2700 feet where I live.

KingWillard

Black Diamond
First Name
Willard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I live at 7000’ and feel like my 2 door 2.3 with a manual is pretty strong. I’ve had it at sea level and did not notice much, if any difference. I’m sure there’s a difference technically, but I couldn’t really tell.

OP
OP

Traillme

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thank you all! Perfect 😀

Sponsored

dScott

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Genesis G80
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I live in CO, this was one of the reasons I opted for the bigger engine. Not sure how much difference it would make, but never regretted going bigger

LHD

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurais, Corvairs, 914-6, TT, F350 SD
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would think that Ford references manifold absolute pressure among other things and the turbo increases boosts ( up to a certain limit) to make up for the losses at altitude. i was impressed with my 2.3 in a recent 6000 mile cross country trip over the southern Rockies.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I would think the 10 speed will keep you where you need to be going up those big hills. The 10 speed works great in my 2.3L Ranger.

Sponsored

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't know of any modern, on road vehicles that don't compensate for altitude. They have mass air flow sensors or manifold absolute pressure sensors to communicate with the pcm the density of the air which then changes parameters like injector pulse times and such to compensate.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I live on the east coast, recently took a trip down to New Orleans and continue to love my Bronco. Despite early reservations about going with the 2.3, I absolutely am happy with it, smooth and responsive, and think it will be perfect for me after tune.

Issue: I’m going to be moving to Colorado at the end of the year and I’ve heard the 2.3 on other vehicles at elevation is underwhelming. Has anyone experienced this in their Bronco? Am I destined to be disappointed and waiting for Ford to match the 7spd to a bigger motor (and then rewaiting for that to be delivered🤪)
AFAIK, Ford is still using their 4-bar MAP sensor which measures barometric pressure (in lose terms) and adjusts the mapping accordingly.

There should be little change in the overall output of the 2.3 at those elevations. Even Alma and Blue River are only at ~10,500' which shouldn't have a material impact at lower speeds (ie: not racing).

From what i've seen/read you need to be closer to 12,500-13,000' before modern engines have significant issues with elevation in terms of overall drivability. Obviously you start to loose some aspects earlier like fine throttle response and high-RPM air scavenging.

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I had my 2.3L Base Bronco at Super Celebration last year (Buena Vista, CO) and did a few high mountain passes with no trouble. Our mountains here in Southern California aren't quite as high but we play around in 6-7k elevations regularly with no apparent lack of power.
Sponsored