Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E90 M3 6spd Sedan; EG Base Scheduled 3/27
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I live in central FL, just took my 4door 2.3L auto for a 400 mile round trip of I-95 to 4, down 75, across the state by ockachobee and back to 95. Man I gotta tell ya the 2.3 is not lacking for power. I know that is subjective, but I can share I was able to cruise in the left lane between 80-85 as needed, accelerate to get out of the way of bad drivers, passing trucks, etc. the 2.3 is no slouch. It never feels like it’s lagging, although you can definitely feel those turbos kick in. I watch the boost gauge a lot when I drive and I’m surprised at how seamless the boost use is.
That's awesome to hear! People keep talking about maintains and hills with their Broncos, we really don't have to worry about that. It's the maniacs on I-95 I'm more worried about lol.

I got the 2 door base as well, so it's going to be a "light weight" bronco, you definitely gave me some more confidence in it as I'm almost certain the 2.3L will be scheduled first.
Sponsored

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Absolutely hated the 2.3 with the 10 spd automatic when I had it for a 24hr. test drive last year. I had high hopes based on what others were saying about it in the Ranger and other applications (just like they are saying in this thread) but I can't believe people think it is anything but anemic. Drove it up and over the mountain passes at elevation and on highways... everywhere I could think of within reason for 24 hrs. Drove and sounded like a rental Nissan Sentra. I was so disappointed I considered cancelling my order all together. Then I took delivery of my 2.7 BL and couldn't have been happier ( I suppose the 3.0 Raptor might make me happier). If anyone says it's close to the 2.7 they have not driven the the 2.7 enough. It is night and day! Can the 2.3 "keep up"? Kind of I'm sure if you are all just doing trail rides or cruising on the highway in a group. It is just a different lackluster driving experience.

That said, I have zero experience with the 2.3 and manual transmission. That could be an entirely different beast! People seem to love that combo for sure. But based on my experience there is no way I'd put hard earn $$$ into the 2.3 with automatic transmission.
My 2.3L auto runs just fine with plenty of power. Anemic is not a word I would use to describe it even with turning 35s. I've got over 400 miles on it in two weeks and it does the job well. Yes the 2.7L has more torque and accelerates quicker. To each his own.

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have the 2.3 manual and couldn't be happier. Absolutely enough power. In fact, so fun to zip around, I wrecked mine maybe from feeling too froggy.

No mountains here, but tons of steep hills in the Mississippi hill country. Way more pep than my automatic V6 4Runner.

I haven't towed anything, so I can't speak to that, but the 2.3 will go.

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Absolutely hated the 2.3 with the 10 spd automatic when I had it for a 24hr. test drive last year. I had high hopes based on what others were saying about it in the Ranger and other applications (just like they are saying in this thread) but I can't believe people think it is anything but anemic. Drove it up and over the mountain passes at elevation and on highways... everywhere I could think of within reason for 24 hrs. Drove and sounded like a rental Nissan Sentra. I was so disappointed I considered cancelling my order all together. Then I took delivery of my 2.7 BL and couldn't have been happier ( I suppose the 3.0 Raptor might make me happier). If anyone says it's close to the 2.7 they have not driven the the 2.7 enough. It is night and day! Can the 2.3 "keep up"? Kind of I'm sure if you are all just doing trail rides or cruising on the highway in a group. It is just a different lackluster driving experience.

That said, I have zero experience with the 2.3 and manual transmission. That could be an entirely different beast! People seem to love that combo for sure. But based on my experience there is no way I'd put hard earn $$$ into the 2.3 with automatic transmission.

Had a similar experience with a rental 2.3 mustang. Hated the way it felt paired with the auto transmission & had my doubts for when mine came in. Turns out the 7MT pairs REALLY nice with the 2.3 & makes for a great drive! Sounds like a typical buzzy 4 cyl, so nothing to write home about on that front.

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch 4dr 2023 Black Diamond 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Well said!

I test drove a 2.3L and it was ok, at sea level, around town. On the highway it was gutless after about 65mph, as would be expected with a base engine in a brick. Anyone saying it's powerful must be driving something pretty underpowered, and the manual transmission doesn't really help much, it's just more fun, but still slow.

Sponsored

WarthogJr

Black Diamond
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

• "Size doesn't matter"
  • "Lockers don't make that big of a difference"
  • "33's are plenty"
  • "The smaller motor is plenty powerful"
  • "Russia is just trying to protect it's borders"
  • "Will Smith slapping Chris Rock was not staged"

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
  • "Size doesn't matter"
  • "33's are plenty"
- My GF disagrees...
- Only when you don't have them...
- Only when you have small obstacles...
- Until you get passed...
- Only when you are unable to tell the difference between 6" and 8" on a scaled map...
- He had to earn his way out of the Gimp Suit somehow!!!

goalie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well said!

I test drove a 2.3L and it was ok, at sea level, around town. On the highway it was gutless after about 65mph, as would be expected with a base engine in a brick. Anyone saying it's powerful must be driving something pretty underpowered, and the manual transmission doesn't really help much, it's just more fun, but still slow.

I'm certainly only comparing the bronco to other similar vehicles, like the jeeps I've owned. It's more powerful (never owned the new v8 jeep) and way more fun to drive than my jeeps. I'd never compare it to a sports car, even if you could get it in a v8, its simply a block on wheels, it'll never compare.

BC overlanding

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I understand all this but my points are valid. Also I haven't heard about any issues with the 2.3. Zero. So even if it's only 10 people or so on this forum that have had 2.7 issues that's definitely 10 to many. That should not be happening to a brand new engine. And I'm willing to bet there's more 2.3s that got released then 2.7s so far.

I do agree with you if your going to put out this kind of money definitely get it built exactly how you want it. No doubt. I feel the same way. But if there really is something going wrong with the 2.7s is it really what you want in the end? I'm only thinking out loud. Because I too have the 2.7 on order.
44 out of 10,000's but if you think thats worth switching up knock yourself out

BC overlanding

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • "Size doesn't matter"
  • "33's are plenty"
lockers don't make that big a difference. :ROFLMAO: I will meet you in Moab and see if you still feel the same. Stay I your lane

Sponsored

WarthogJr

Black Diamond
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

lockers don't make that big a difference. :ROFLMAO: I will meet you in Moab and see if you still feel the same. Stay I your lane
Uhhh….those are all sarcastic. My lane is fine.

CVSJR

Raptor
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '09 Z06
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Up until this past Sunday I hadn't driven a new Bronco yet just knew I didn't want a 4 cylinder. I went to a Bronco Off Road Drive at Anthracite Off Road Adventure Park in PA. I have a Raptor on order and I knew wasn't going to drive one but got a non Sasquatch Badlands with lux package and 33" tires. I got halfway through the trail before I found out it was a 2.3L 4 cylinder engine. I was pleasantly surprised, I'm not changing my order, lol, but If you did order the 2.3L you have nothing to worry about, lots of torque and smooth power. I can't comment about highway speeds but doubt there would be a problem it's got 270hp and 309ft/lbs of torque.

Oneand0

Badlands
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Up until this past Sunday I hadn't driven a new Bronco yet just knew I didn't want a 4 cylinder. I went to a Bronco Off Road Drive at Anthracite Off Road Adventure Park in PA. I have a Raptor on order and I knew wasn't going to drive one but got a non Sasquatch Badlands with lux package and 33" tires. I got halfway through the trail before I found out it was a 2.3L 4 cylinder engine. I was pleasantly surprised, I'm not changing my order, lol, but If you did order the 2.3L you have nothing to worry about, lots of torque and smooth power. I can't comment about highway speeds but doubt there would be a problem it's got 270hp and 309ft/lbs of torque.
I was so worried before I got my BL,2.3, 33” tires. Mainly about the 2.3 engine. Once I took possession of it and drove it around I realized I never needed the 2.7. I have a Tesla if I want to drive really fast. The 2.7 I’m guessing isn’t really fast. But, I know the 2.3 is just fast enough for me in the Bronco. Plenty happy with it and the gas mileage I get with it.

Last edited:

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My 2.7 is currently in pieces after being ripped out of the Bronco by the dealership on Monday.

Cam phaser tick something fierce. Still drives fine, but... At 5.5K miles, seems a bit early.
Sponsored