First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Why would you think that’s it’s faster in 4a? I could see this if conditions were slick to cause it to slip so 4a would be activated, but in dry conditions this would baffle me.
Since the bronco does not have selectable locking front hubs the front axles and differential are always turning. Using engine power through the drive shaft to turn them is much more efficient than getting them turning via rotating the tires. 4A will not only accelerate faster but in more normal driving situations will probably provide slightly better fuel economy and your reducing the parasitic loss of getting the front diff rotating. I personally don’t have faith in the long term durability of the advanced clutch pack system so I use it sparingly.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

There are a lot of AWD systems out there with a lot of miles on them, and I haven't heard of a lot of failures out there.

Last edited:

wigglysqiggly

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
i always thought 4A is for offroad only, like 4L or 4HH

Fishwrinkle

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 GC overland 5.7, 18 GC srt 6.4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I guess I always thought of it as 4wd on standby. Meaning when it senses slippage it will engage 4wd. So it’s more like awd then?

Sponsored

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you use 4A in dry conditions over a longer period you will toast your transmission, the clutch packs will overheat.
4A “acts” like AWD, but does not turn your Bronco into AWD, it's for slippery conditions only!
Your opinion is shared by many and there is nothing wrong with using 2H. However, Ford's recent 4A systems were designed for all on-road conditions, including dry road. Ford is confident enough in their design to make 4A the default street performance mode.

Why would you think that’s it’s faster in 4a? I could see this if conditions were slick to cause it to slip so 4a would be activated, but in dry conditions this would baffle me.
You are right. For 2.7L/2.3L Bronco, the front drivetrain power loss is the same for 4A and 2H. I measured the same 0-60 of a FP-tuned 2.7L in 4A and 2H. If there is wheel spin, 4A can help a lot. So it makes sense that it defaults to 4A in sport-mode (performance better or equal to 2H).

For trucks with wheel disconnect to eliminate the front drivetrain power loss in 2H (Raptors), sport-mode defaults to 2H for higher potential performance. But 4A is often better in practice to limit wheel spin on launch.

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Your opinion is shared by many and there is nothing wrong with using 2H. However, Ford's recent 4A systems were designed for all on-road conditions, including dry road. Ford is confident enough in their design to make 4A the default street performance mode.

Wrong! lol

Acadist

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you use 4A in dry conditions over a longer period you will toast your transmission, the clutch packs will overheat.
4A “acts” like AWD, but does not turn your Bronco into AWD, it's for slippery conditions only!
When my ‘guru’ added Sport to my BadSquatch he warned me of this and that is why it is necessary to switch back to 2H. I typically drive in Sport more than any other mode, I have nicknamed it ‘ticket mode’ for the acceleration difference from a dead stop, especially if you really hit the pedal

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Using 4A has absolutely zero impact on the transmission whatsoever.
I’m not sure if you meant to say transfer case or if you just don’t understand how it works. But either way, 4A is perfectly fine for everyday driving whether it’s dry or wet out.

Ford Bronco 2wd Sport mode IMG_2580

ToddGreen

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Using 4A has absolutely zero impact on the transmission whatsoever.
I’m not sure if you meant to say transfer case or if you just don’t understand how it works. But either way, 4A is perfectly fine for everyday driving whether it’s dry or wet out.

Ford Bronco 2wd Sport mode IMG_2580
Knowledge is power. Thanks.

Sponsored

wigglysqiggly

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
wow awesome information, when I was off roading and hit pavement then gravel I would switch modes, now i know i can leave it in that mode

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Seriously, why can't it stay the way I last had it?
It's the gubmint... For user controllable settings that affect fuel economy and noise regulations (maybe others), the vehicle must always start up in the mode that provides the specifications or meets specifications.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Can you provide any engineering reasoning or empirical data that this is true? From my understanding, you would essentially be in 2H all the time. I do understand the base Bronco's do not have IWEs but the Raptor does. Shouldn't really matter.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Can you provide any engineering reasoning or empirical data that this is true? From my understanding, you would essentially be in 2H all the time. I do understand the base Bronco's do not have IWEs but the Raptor does. Shouldn't really matter.
Ahhh, thanks @Ducati1098 , I hadn't finished the thread. Got to dispel the misinformation!

OP
OP

Blakshukvw

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 explorer, 99 explorer, 04 marauder, 23 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I noticed too, when my vehicle in 4A and I put in reverse after it’s parked overnight on a slight incline (driveway) it makes a slight “pop” in transfer case, like something is “bound up”. Have you noticed same?
I haven’t experienced that but my bronco is always garaged. I’ve never had the chance to park it in situation as you describe yet.
Sponsored