Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

While we are in a lull from the engine drama and me catching up on replies, Ill add a bit to my initial thoughts.

Yes, 98% of Jeep Rubicon owners do not use them to their full potential.
However...(and say what you will about my opinion/experience) I do know that a stock Rubicon vs a stock Badlands SAS...the Rubicon will make it further. Its not a dig, its not a guess. It is the hundreds of vehicles I have built/driven/taken offroad. both SA AND IFS. There are simply things that in this level (road legal vehicles) that a solid front axle can accomplish that this IFS cannot.

I do believe that on trails less than a 8/10 the Bronco SAS will be able to hold its own and do it more comfortably. Different lines, different driving techniques.
This makes sense and is fine by me. As somebody who will go "off-road" but won't be doing "off-roading" as a sport or serious hobby, this is actually better for me. Some fire roads, some beach sand, some unimproved roads in western North Carolina.

Enjoy my ride there, enjoy my ride off the road, then enjoy my ride home.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jwnaron

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ7, 2020 BMW X3MC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

While we are in a lull from the engine drama and me catching up on replies, Ill add a bit to my initial thoughts.

Yes, 98% of Jeep Rubicon owners do not use them to their full potential.
However...(and say what you will about my opinion/experience) I do know that a stock Rubicon vs a stock Badlands SAS...the Rubicon will make it further. Its not a dig, its not a guess. It is the hundreds of vehicles I have built/driven/taken offroad. both SA AND IFS. There are simply things that in this level (road legal vehicles) that a solid front axle can accomplish that this IFS cannot.

I do believe that on trails less than a 8/10 the Bronco SAS will be able to hold its own and do it more comfortably. Different lines, different driving techniques.

Like others, I appreciate the post and the comparisons OP. My dilemma is that while I will definitely not be doing hardcore off-roading most of the time, I do want to be able to build a rig that will be able to complete the most difficult trails. My recent experience at the Jeepers Jamboree (running my 79 CJ7) let a little to be desired in the dependability department, so I have a bronco on order with hopes to build it so I can run the Rubicon and some of the tougher rock trails.

In thinking about my Bronco build, I'm almost convinced that I will need portals in the front or some sort of heavily customized suspension like Loren and Vaughn's Ranger, Fun-Runner. Sounds like $30k to me to get this Bronco where it can hold its own in the rocks. My build in my head is a cross between the Bronco 4600 Ultra-4 build and fun-runner.

I guess with enough money you can make anything a rock crawler, so now I'm more confused than ever it seems. I could keep the CJ, rip the suspension out and start over building a linked up buggy, scrap the Bronco and get a Jeep and drop the money in suspension there (this seems dumb with the CJ at my disposal) or fully commit to the Bronco and say money be damned I want the benefits of IFS and I'm willing to spend $30-40k on suspension to have the ultimate off-roader, dune runner, mall crawler and still drive it to California and run the shit out of the Rubicon with a beer in my hand.

I guess I'm just getting nervous when I hear a seasoned vet throw down the limits of the Bronco and I'm not sure if I'll be happy with a rig that can run MOST of the trails... I want this fucker to be able to run ALL of the trails. comments welcome and I'm sure there are others on here that truly want to build a monster and are nervous about the IFS.

Gene Dios

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One thing I don't see commented on enough is that the Bronco driver seat feels a lot more spacious compared to a Wrangler. While the Wrangler is great, I just can't buy one do to how cramped and uncomfortable I feel in it. I'm 6'2", not insanely tall or anything, and I'm sure other 6'2" would say 'I feel fine sitting in the Wrangler'. To me, it's just too cramped for long trips or trail runs. The Gladiator is better in the regard as you get a bit more back-to-front space.

Bronco seats went back more than enough, I had to bring it forward a touch even. And side to side space was better as well.

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think a little clarity on what "all of the trails" means to you. We transition in to what we call buggy trails here in AZ and while a very well built Jeep with a good driver can do them, even then body damage is likely. Do you want to do that? Or are you not really talking "all of the trails?"

Just for reference...

Ford Bronco A Wrangler Owner/Enthusiast/Builder honest review of the 2021 Bronco -- long... CD

OP
OP
Doetsch Off-Road

Doetsch Off-Road

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.doetschoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 4dr, 2021 Wildtrak, 2021 Rubicon 392
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Like others, I appreciate the post and the comparisons OP. My dilemma is that while I will definitely not be doing hardcore off-roading most of the time, I do want to be able to build a rig that will be able to complete the most difficult trails. My recent experience at the Jeepers Jamboree (running my 79 CJ7) let a little to be desired in the dependability department, so I have a bronco on order with hopes to build it so I can run the Rubicon and some of the tougher rock trails.

In thinking about my Bronco build, I'm almost convinced that I will need portals in the front or some sort of heavily customized suspension like Loren and Vaughn's Ranger, Fun-Runner. Sounds like $30k to me to get this Bronco where it can hold its own in the rocks. My build in my head is a cross between the Bronco 4600 Ultra-4 build and fun-runner.

I guess with enough money you can make anything a rock crawler, so now I'm more confused than ever it seems. I could keep the CJ, rip the suspension out and start over building a linked up buggy, scrap the Bronco and get a Jeep and drop the money in suspension there (this seems dumb with the CJ at my disposal) or fully commit to the Bronco and say money be damned I want the benefits of IFS and I'm willing to spend $30-40k on suspension to have the ultimate off-roader, dune runner, mall crawler and still drive it to California and run the shit out of the Rubicon with a beer in my hand.

I guess I'm just getting nervous when I hear a seasoned vet throw down the limits of the Bronco and I'm not sure if I'll be happy with a rig that can run MOST of the trails... I want this fucker to be able to run ALL of the trails. comments welcome and I'm sure there are others on here that truly want to build a monster and are nervous about the IFS.

Loren just ran through all of Rubicon with his modified Bronco. Just 2" Lift on coilovers with 37s. He is obviously one helluva driver. Video should be out this week.

All of us with bad intentions are eyeballing Portals. Just absolute craziness though.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Doetsch Off-Road

Doetsch Off-Road

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.doetschoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 4dr, 2021 Wildtrak, 2021 Rubicon 392
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I never speak of trails rated 11+ (buggies only) when talking to standard folk. Lol.

Although we've had some of our JK builds and even a Gladiator run successfully a buggy trail recently. Fools.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have been in all 3 interiors of Bronco multiple times as well as Rubicon and to me the MGV is superior in every way. It doesn't feel cheap at all and is very comfortable. I personally moved up a trim level solely for MGV.
Me too, although I've only sat on the MVG and leather and driven on the cloth. In that limited experience I loved the MGV.

I must say, as a cloth hater, the cloth also felt really nice and sturdy.

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I never speak of trails rated 11+ (buggies only) when talking to standard folk. Lol.

Although we've had some of our JK builds and even a Gladiator run successfully a buggy trail recently. Fools.
We're on the same page... I just wonder at times what people are thinking. And to do what we have traditionally called the iconic Jeep trials, wouldn't be that crazy of a build. Rubicon, Dusy Ersham, most of Moab, etc. Certainly not $30k in suspension.

jwnaron

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ7, 2020 BMW X3MC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ok sorry for not clarifying, @Pressurized @Doetsch Off-Road I mean level 10 trails. Think Rubicon on a really bad year, not buggy only trails. I did see that Loren did just run rubicon in a Bronco this weekend and I'm looking to get a little more extreme that 2" lift. If you've seen fun-runner (the most well-built IFS that I know of, sans ultra 4 4400 class) specs I think they said something like 14" travel in front and 18" in rear. That's a lot of travel and will get through most stuff (not talking buggy trails). I'm more thinking 40" tire being the goal with 37s probably being the sweet spot. It's probably going to cost 3x what it would cost to build a SFA, but if I can have the best of both worlds (on-road manners, but a freak on the trails) I'm willing to pay for it. I don't think I'm alone on the 40s here. That's pretty aggressive, but I wouldn't call it insane. Think Ultimate Adventure level groups...

My biggest concern is pigeon-holing myself into an IFS vehicle that will always be a little lacking and should I just scrap it for SFA or is the IFS world getting ready to blow up and we'll have options to run 40-42" tires and follow some of the most well built (non-buggy) modern Jeeps out there?

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bestop is saying their tops should be available in Spring of 2021.
are you saying the Bestops are available already? Spring '21 is past.

Sponsored

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
ok sorry for not clarifying, @Pressurized @Doetsch Off-Road I mean level 10 trails. Think Rubicon on a really bad year, not buggy only trails. I did see that Loren did just run rubicon in a Bronco this weekend and I'm looking to get a little more extreme that 2" lift. If you've seen fun-runner (the most well-built IFS that I know of, sans ultra 4 4400 class) specs I think they said something like 14" travel in front and 18" in rear. That's a lot of travel and will get through most stuff (not talking buggy trails). I'm more thinking 40" tire being the goal with 37s probably being the sweet spot. It's probably going to cost 3x what it would cost to build a SFA, but if I can have the best of both worlds (on-road manners, but a freak on the trails) I'm willing to pay for it. I don't think I'm alone on the 40s here. That's pretty aggressive, but I wouldn't call it insane. Think Ultimate Adventure level groups...

My biggest concern is pigeon-holing myself into an IFS vehicle that will always be a little lacking and should I just scrap it for SFA or is the IFS world getting ready to blow up and we'll have options to run 40-42" tires and follow some of the most well built (non-buggy) modern Jeeps out there?
I literally just watched some of the videos with fun-runner a few minutes ago... Getting winched up escalator. ;) But yeah, a really nice build and I don't think that getting close to that will be nearly that expensive. More than an SFA, for sure. But I think fitting 37's or even 38's would be expensive enough and also capable enough to get you where you wanted to be.

Good luck!

2021badlands bronco bob

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 civic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
any chance you can elaborate on the MGV? I have yet to see it in person. I was concerned it would feel cheap so I ordered the leather on my Badlands. It seems like you are one of the first I have seen give a bad review of it.
Just his honest opinion that’s all. IT is what it is I think it’s great to get honest feedback from real customers.

Rubicon 2 Badlands

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubicon / 2021 Bronco: Badlands/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great write up! Appreciate the insights. Looking forward to seeing your builds.
Sponsored