Sponsored

B&O lux rear volume - is there a simple fix?

raptorusmaximus

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I've read through quite a few posts regarding the overpriced, under whelming "premium" B&O stereo. My issue isn't quality of the sound.......it's the lack of volume from the rear. I'm guessing the rears are running less than half of the volume of the fronts, with the doors and top off this is an issue......
After reading all the posts and filtering out the non B&O posts, I'm still unclear if I can just replace the AMP? just the speakers, do I have to replace both? I just want more decibels out of the rears.....

- Thoughts?
Sponsored

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've read through quite a few posts regarding the overpriced, under whelming "premium" B&O stereo. My issue isn't quality of the sound.......it's the lack of volume from the rear. I'm guessing the rears are running less than half of the volume of the fronts, with the doors and top off this is an issue......
After reading all the posts and filtering out the non B&O posts, I'm still unclear if I can just replace the AMP? just the speakers, do I have to replace both? I just want more decibels out of the rears.....

- Thoughts?
This is the best write-up I've found. Seems to me like just upgrading the stock speakers is quite a bit of an upgrade. He did go ahead and replace the sub and add an amp for it, but if you're looking for just upgrading the sound I would start with replacing the rear 2 speakers (my plan). Should be able to phase it in and yes it does look like replacing the speakers should be just plug and play if you get the connectors from his post.

B&O sound system complete upgrade - Done ✅ | Bronco6G - 2021+ Ford Bronco & Bronco Raptor Forum, News, Blog & Owners Community

@Ksjrb03 What's your feedback on volume increase in just replacing the rear 2 speakers?

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So... unlike the Base audio system there is no real "easy fix" for the B&O system due to the factory Digital Signal Processor (DSP). Kind of ironic that if you spend more money on a more premium sound system it becomes more complicated to upgrade... BUT... it's the truth in this case.

The easiest thing you can do is replace the rear pod speakers will speakers with higher sensitivity... 93 dB per watt per meter or higher. That is stupid easy to do. But beyond that... it gets complicated in a hurry.

---

If you DO want to go beyond that, you have some decisions to make. If you JUST want to amplify the rear pod speakers... you can do that for ~$225 and a bunch of custom wiring.

But to do it right, you are looking at adding an 6-8 channel Digital Signal Processor that you can actually modify. Those start around $700 and bump all the way up to $1600. And then you have to worry about potentially adding an 8-channel amplifier and all of the wiring on top of that.

ilostmydrink

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
@raptorusmaximus just thinking through the design of the B&O package you shouldn't be hearing much from the rear speakers while in the driver's seat; the rear speakers are fill for the passengers in the rear seats. Your primary sound stage is the fronts, kicks, and bass fill from the subwoofer.

As @RagnarKon suggested, a high efficient speaker like the Audison AP4 will significantly increase the volume in the back compared to the stock speakers.. overpowering, even. I got good deals on them but I replaced the corners with APX4 and AP4 and, after turning off the speed variable adjustment (which seems to put a "V" curve on the sound") the audio is pretty great. There's a peak around 3khz I'm trying to work out but it's no longer annoying while in Stereo (I'm not a fan of what surround does).

Lots of sunk cost here; if you're willing to put in the work running new cables you'll be better off running an amplifier with DSP to correct for what the B&O does and with less efficient speakers.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If I had to do it all over again, knowing what I know now, I would have gotten the high package - retrofit the Adaptive Cruise Control and upgraded the non-premium sound system because it would be less of a pain in the ass than dealing with the B&O premium system.

I upgraded all but the subwoofer speaker in my Lux package Bronco, and the improvement was substantial... It's now on par with a stock Honda CR-V EX-L sound system. I wasn't satisfied, but it was good enough to not feel completely embarrassed for B&O.

Then my girlfriend recently got her high package Bronco, and knowing how weak my system was, asked me to upgrade hers before we finished driving home from the dealer. So I ordered up the parts (and still have to install the 6 Infinity reference speakers) which included a Kicker Key 200.4 and a Kicker 46HS10 Sub-woofer.

Result: It's not even close between these two systems, her stereo (even with the 6 factory speakers), the amp, and the sub-woofer is orders of magnitude better. It's as loud as I would ever need it without hearing protection, it's clear, it thumps, it just gets the job done. The sad thing is that the factory system (especially the "premium" B&O system) could have been this good without spending a grip of money. Ford should be ashamed of the stock system, but B&O has much more to be ashamed of.

Sponsored
OP
OP
raptorusmaximus

raptorusmaximus

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Thanks everyone, great info and thank you. I guess I'll start with the better speakers in the rear and go from there..... I miss the old days.... sound was much easier to upgrade.

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would start with speaker pods to 6 and 1/2 speakers
I installed the @Mabett speaker pods this weekend and agree to start with that. It definitely improves the midrange.