njAK84

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a 2.7 Outer Banks w/Sasquatch on order. It’s fully loaded with basically everything I’ll being paying for until Christ comes back and offers me a slot in heaven as trade, because this rig is that sick. I decided to go with the OB over BL because I wanted the nicer interior, and knew I wouldn’t be doing enough crazy off-roading to need the sway bar disconnect. In any case, here’s my question:

The only features I’ll potentially miss on this build are the Rock Crawl and Baja GOAT modes. That being said, how much will this actually restrict my off-road capabilities? I live in Alaska, so there are some pretty off-the-beaten-path trails I’ll find my way to, as well as several rocky beaches and sandy river flats, but not much in the way of Moab style rock courses. The most I’ll see of rocks on trails or beaches here will resemble the brief rock section we all saw in the most recent Tennessee Super Celebration videos—i.e. not over the top level intense (albeit, Alaska does offer very long sections of said rocky terrain). I think the 5 GOAT modes I’ll have will be more than enough for the degree of off-roading I’ll be doing, but I’m looking for feedback.

What do you think? Will the lack of Rock Crawl make that big of a difference?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No big difference, you can turn off and on all the features manually. Probably all you would miss is the different shift points that the mode gives you for the transmission but that won't affect anything detrimental. If you added some manual sway bar disconnects and some armor you would be just as set as the BL. For what you are doing its a good trade off, the BL interior is a snooze fest.

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Make no difference. Doesn't sound like your activities take advantage of those two modes, or the disconnect.

OP
OP
njAK84

njAK84

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
For what you are doing its a good trade off, the BL interior is a snooze fest.
Yeah, I was all about BL until I saw the interior limitations. I know the OB carpeted floors seems to be a big drawback for some people, but I’m not exactly planning on hosing out my interior. Even if I had MGV seats, I’m not gonna risk water getting all over all those electronics. I just ordered the custom mats Ford posted for carpeted Bronco flooring.

530Squatch

Badlands
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 HD Silverado Duramax Turbo Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@njAK84 I think you're fine either way. I'd built up a fully-loaded OBX (with Sas) and realized that if I was ok with the interior color difference, it was essentially a wash price-wise with moving to the WT. Plus you gain Baja. I personally will use Baja because I enjoy that type of driving/ romping vice rock crawling. It's all up to your personal choice, and as @Jr87mustang mentioned, this rig seems pretty configurable to the situation you need.
PS I'd love to see some pics and some AK Bronco adventures posted when you get yours- I've always wanted to get up to that part of the States. 🍻

Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What do you think? Will the lack of Rock Crawl make that big of a difference?
No. I'm by far not an expert, but you can crawl rocks with this thing w/o using any of the goat modes and from what you say you'll be driving, you won't ever even miss it not being there.

I'm getting it in my BL, and I'll probably never get anywhere close to actually "needing" it to get back home.

Have fun on the trails!

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
We are all building for our needs/wants/gotta haves. Not gonna be rock crawling either. Go for it....

Cali Gaucho

Base
First Name
Cali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The only reason those models have "Rock Crawl" GOAT Mode (i.e. PRESET) is because they came standard with Rock Rails and Steel Bumpers/Plates. You don't need the PRESET to use the functionality if you added Lockers etc...
Ford should never have attached GOAT Modes (PRESETS) to Models but should have them based on the Hardware Options on Build. SAS should have them all.

Ford Bronco Bronco Capabilities Sans Rock Crawl Comp_Chart_Edited

OP
OP
njAK84

njAK84

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
PS I'd love to see some pics and some AK Bronco adventures posted when you get yours- I've always wanted to get up to that part of the States. 🍻
Oh I will have pics aPLENTY to share once Seabiscuit finally trots onto that car lot. Pretty sure I’ll be taking her straight from the dealership down to the mouth of the Kenai River (greeaat beach).

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford should never have attached GOAT Modes (PRESETS) to Models but should have them based on the Hardware Options on Build. SAS should have them all.
This plus 10.

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good to go! I think the sway bar disconnect will be very useful for times other than rocks (think lower speed trail driving in lumpy terrain and rocks) from a ride and comfort perspective, but you won’t miss it. Because it’s normally a PITA to use manual disconnect and Jeep has issues engaging/disengaging at different times, I don’t think many people use it in a trail riding application. The Bronco may change that. Baja mode? I don’t think we know enough yet, but the testers seem to like it and use it. More of a fun extra than necessary probably.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IMO, after seeing in person on terrain and using other "modes", I would say maybe, maybe not. All depends on the terrain and if you expect to put yourself in specific situations. We went through the Austin course in 4L and 4H, with and without front and rear lockers on and got through pretty much everything without effort or needing either of those specific options.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We rode in a Big Bend at the Tennessee Super Cel... it had absolutely no issues with the rock section, or any part of the course. There was a large rock they were using to show the disconnect feature in a different area, but we just skipped it. I’m not sure any of them were using it through the regular section of rocks though.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Rock crawl requirements. Lockers and sticky tires are the two most important.
Not sure any mode is going to get you much of anything for crawling.

KDAber64

Big Bend
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F 150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I agree 1000% After paying over $7k for SAS on a BB I think it should come with all the modes.
Sponsored