Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hi all

I have a 2022 Bronco Big Bend, only 300 miles in. I spent a lot of time installing various accessories and caught a glimpse of a part of the engine I’m not familiar with.

What is it?
Why is it already rusted (only 300 miles driving, stored in a garage idle)?
Should I be worried about it’s quality and have the dealership replace it?

I rubbed it with a napkin and it seems like surface rust of sorts, but I wanted to get your opinion on it. Nothing else has rust, only this. Thanks all!

713E5EBA-0ECA-4428-82F4-04BA60D613D6.jpeg

34D6E2B1-5A7A-47E0-A6D2-78B0A2BC8979.jpeg
Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wouldn't be concerned about the rust. What I would be concerned about is a small coolant leak in that area causing the rust. Look around the coolant hoses in that area for any wetness/leaks. Also check your coolant level.

Edit. See below for diagnosis and further clarification.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mcguireland

mcguireland

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I wouldn't be concerned about the rust. What I would be concerned about is a small coolant leak in that area causing the rust. Look around the coolant hoses in that area for any wetness/leaks. Also check your coolant level
Got it, thanks for some advice, I'll check this now.

OP
OP
mcguireland

mcguireland

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I wouldn't be concerned about the rust. What I would be concerned about is a small coolant leak in that area causing the rust. Look around the coolant hoses in that area for any wetness/leaks. Also check your coolant level
Coolant is about 1mm under MIN, left it running for a while and didn't see any wetness, but I don't want to take chances and have scheduled a dealership to look into it tomorrow. It doesn't seem normal to have something relatively deep in the engine bay to have that much rust after 3 weeks of ownership.

I'll follow up with what they find.

markpilip

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi all

I have a 2022 Bronco Big Bend, only 300 miles in. I spent a lot of time installing various accessories and caught a glimpse of a part of the engine I’m not familiar with.

What is it?

I rubbed it with a napkin and it seems like surface rust of sorts, but I wanted to get your opinion on it. Nothing else has rust, only this. Thanks all!

Ford Bronco Engine rust? What is this? 2022 Bronco 34D6E2B1-5A7A-47E0-A6D2-78B0A2BC8979

Ford Bronco Engine rust? What is this? 2022 Bronco 34D6E2B1-5A7A-47E0-A6D2-78B0A2BC8979
This is dangerous, terminal rust.

You must immediately get the advice of the holy hour one/day one (TM) reservation holder and do exactly what they say.

Rust doesn't happen on Broncos. This is a horrible, horrible sign. God help you!!

Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After further examination, what I thought was a coolant hose is actually the outlet for the turbo and the rusted part in question is the center cartridge of the turbo. This piece is made of unpainted cast iron, is subject to very high heat cycles and prone to rusting. I popped the hood on my BL 2.3 to have a look and this is what I found:

Ford Bronco Engine rust? What is this? 2022 Bronco PXL_20220404_020513440

So, new diagnosis is that I don't think there is a coolant leak and am not at all concerned with the rust.

OP
OP
mcguireland

mcguireland

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
After further examination, what I thought was a coolant hose is actually the outlet for the turbo and the rusted part in question is the center cartridge of the turbo. This piece is made of unpainted cast iron, is subject to very high heat cycles and prone to rusting. I popped the hood on my BL 2.3 to have a look and this is what I found:

So, new diagnosis is that I don't think there is a coolant leak and am not at all concerned with the rust.
Oh! I appreciate you looking into it on yours as well. I’ll have the dealer review it tomorrow as a safety precaution and let you know what they say.

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hi all

What is it?

Hey, I don't like rust or corrosion of any kind! I keep my engine clean. After a wash I fog / spray my entire engine bay with WD40. Been doing it for years.

OP
OP
mcguireland

mcguireland

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Minor update on this, the dealership mentioned this particular part is a bracket, and maybe got missed in QA for coating/protection of rust like all the other goodies under the hood. They couldn't actually replace it or help because there isn't anything 'functionally wrong'. I understand that, but when we are all paying ~50K on a vehicle and an engine bay part rusts in lest than 3 weeks, it should at least look nice (I have a 12 year old Mazda that doesn't have a spec of rust in under the hood)!

They are putting this issue in officially and recommended that I reach out directly to Ford to see if they will be willing to clean and coat the part correctly.

I appreciate the other advice on painting the piece, but dang this thing is in the engine DEEP. I'd rather the manufacture did it right the first time for all of us. More to come.

Romano

Badlands
First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw/Honda/Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

At least I didn’t have to write that out! Good observation!

Sponsored

Sooner

Base
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 F100, 56 CJ5, 11 F250, 17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

this is not an issue, wasting the service guys time complaining about it!

OP
OP
mcguireland

mcguireland

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
this is not an issue, wasting the service guys time complaining about it!
Some of us don’t have our standards so low that we are ok with parts rusting on a $50k vehicle within literal weeks of ownership.
Sponsored